Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
If you are just comparing matt vs glossy and not the resolutions, I would go for matt. Less glare and reflection when you are out in the Sun or in a bright lit environment.

I disagree. Working with a matte screen in direct sunlight is down right unbearable. You won't be able to read anything. Glossy on the other you will see reflections but at least the screen will be viewable.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Glossy has some reflections but there is nothing sharper for photo editing. The matte screen is not as good for me and I used them for years.

The glossy screen has more vibrant colors and is preferred by me for my Photoshop work

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
actually, the real question is what you do with your images.

1. if they are only going to be viewed on that screen, then either will be fine

2. If they are for print, then matte is the better option as the greater perceived saturation provided by glossy screens is not transferred. i.e. what you see with glossy isn't actually what you have in print

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I disagree. Working with a matte screen in direct sunlight is down right unbearable. You won't be able to read anything. Glossy on the other you will see reflections but at least the screen will be viewable.

No it's not.

In direct sunlight, both matte and glossy suck. Matte will just become impossible to see, while glossy will just become a full mirror. You'll not be able to read anything on either.

Glassy will always have some form of glare or reflections because of the glass Apple shoves on top of the glossy screen.

Go with matte. No glare to have to angle your display against.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
No it's not.

In direct sunlight, both matte and glossy suck. Matte will just become impossible to see, while glossy will just become a full mirror. You'll not be able to read anything on either.

Glassy will always have some form of glare or reflections because of the glass Apple shoves on top of the glossy screen.

Go with matte. No glare to have to angle your display against.
Right, it will become a mirror but you will still be able to see what you are doing. As someone who has used a matte MacBook Pro for 4 years I can say that working with it outside is just impossible and horrible. Glossy screens, while they do become a mirror, you can still see the screen.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Right, it will become a mirror but you will still be able to see what you are doing. As someone who has used a matte MacBook Pro for 4 years I can say that working with it outside is just impossible and horrible. Glossy screens, while they do become a mirror, you can still see the screen.

No you can't. I've used a glassy uMBP for a year and matte prior to that for years, and matte now.

In direct sunlight, the glassy screen will become obscured with reflections to the extent that you can't read anything on the screen.

No laptop screen will be usable in direct sunlight.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
No you can't. I've used a glassy uMBP for a year and matte prior to that for years, and matte now.

In direct sunlight, the glassy screen will become obscured with reflections to the extent that you can't read anything on the screen.

No laptop screen will be usable in direct sunlight.
To save myself from a 12 page flame war of both of us going yes you can and no you cant I'll respond with this:

Either way these people claiming matte is better for sunlight have never actually used one in direct sunlight.

Sn0wball

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
England
Ok then, what would be best for being outside under a parasol when it's very sunny? Where the ambient surrounding light is still very high, but somewhat diffused by the parasol?

I tried glossy under a parasol but it was still literally a mirror reflecting everything around/behind me, making for very difficult readability on the screen, even at full brightness/contrast. I wondered how matte would be.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
To save myself from a 12 page flame war of both of us going yes you can and no you cant I'll respond with this:

Either way these people claiming matte is better for sunlight have never actually used one in direct sunlight.

I'm not claiming it's better! I even said matte will be unreadable. My argument is that so will glossy.

Using any laptop display: glossy or matte, in direct sunlight, will mean both are unreadable.

Saying glossy will still be readable in direct sunlight isn't true, the whole display will be obscured. The screen just isn't bright enough to compete with sunlight.

boostmiser

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Read the dpreview.com photography forums. Every pro there says matte is the way to go. Glossy inflates the contrast and will not match your prints. Plus difficult to use with high ambient lighting.

I've got a glossy netbook and can't stand the glossy screen. I often sit with a window behind it and it's a real strain even at high brightness levels. I use a matte screen at work and it's perfect under fluorescent lighting...no glare whatsoever. My opinion is matte all the way.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

Attachments

• 3193_macbook_pro_gloss_b.jpg
    3193_macbook_pro_gloss_b.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 3195_macbook_pro_antiglare_b.jpg
    3195_macbook_pro_antiglare_b.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 503

apw100

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Is one screen better than the other for photo editing?

For photo editing, matte is the only way to go, and I can't believe that anyone would argue otherwise. Unless you have direct sunlight coming from behind you, which would be a stupid place to edit photos, the matte screen will always have superior visibility over the "glossy" screen.
Also, matte screens tend to be easier to calibrate using color calibration hardware.

There is a reason why NO professional monitors(Eizo, NEC/Lacie, etc) have a glossy(glass) screen.

Jeremy.Gray

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Maine
Just taking a quick read through here, I haven't noticed anyone saying that glossy is actually a bad option because it makes colors more vibrant.

When I am doing my photography work, I want my screen to be as representative of final print as it can be, and when my screen is producing higher contrast or more vibrant colors, that becomes difficult. Matte for me, all the way, always.

But, to each their own. As long as the display you use primarily for photography gets calibrated, I guess it doesn't matter much. Happy buying!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I haven't had any issues with my photo work using a 13" MBP with glossy display. I use Aperture 2 mainly but also some Photoshop from time to time. No issues here. I bought a 17" i5 last night with the glossy display as well. I think they are great.

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
this question has been asked so many times, there are several people who would prefer one over the other with respect to reflections. what you want though is something for photo editing, which i believe is something done better on matte screen. glossy screens tend show colors that pop ,which many would prefer when watching movies and some other things, but not so great with photo editing since colors are not close to reality. this is not to say that matte is great with it though, but comparing the two, matte would be better in this aspect. they at least approximate how they'd look when printed. i'd still prefer doing it with an external display though.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Is one screen better than the other for photo editing?

Both are TN screens, so they are not really suitable for photo editting. Glossy has better contrast, as long as the reflections in anything other than a perfectly dark room don't drive you crazy.

Both can be calibrated.

Note that colour critical work *cannot* be done on a TN screen - so don't worry too much about it - just consider if you find the reflections of your hands on the keyboard distracting.

apw100

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Both are TN screens, so they are not really suitable for photo editting. Glossy has better contrast, as long as the reflections in anything other than a perfectly dark room don't drive you crazy.

Both can be calibrated.

Note that colour critical work *cannot* be done on a TN screen - so don't worry too much about it - just consider if you find the reflections of your hands on the keyboard distracting.

That is true, I'm a little annoyed that Apple won't put 8-bit IPS panels in the MBPs.
That being said, even a TN panel can be used for everything but color correction. When I am in the field, I mainly need to insure that the exposure is represented correctly before I send the photo off for printing. As long as the TN panel is calibrated for this, it should do the job.
Luckly I have a pro monitor at home, so I'm good!

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
cmon who started the topic.. if you edit/work with images , use photoshop and work with design/edition why bother asking ?? you already know the anti-glare will be best... at least you SHOULD know that working with image edit..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.