Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:39 AM   #1
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

Airport and Bluetooth in iMac G5

I know the airport card can be installed aftermarket because they sell them in the apple store. However bluetooth is only built in if you order it from the factory apparently. Otherwise you need an external usb adapter. Only problem is I have a printer/camera/ipod/isight/USB stick So I actually use the three USB ports and the two firewire. Could somebody tell me if a USB splitter would work, since the ports are all so close together, and whether or not it would be obtrusive? Thanks.
kntgsp is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2004, 01:24 PM   #2
pncc
macrumors regular

You are going to need a hub anyway because ou don't include the keyboard or the mouse attached to that.

I would get Bluetooth built in.
pncc is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a

Well, you can always get a cheap powered USB hub and plug all your stuff to it, and you still have 2 free USB ports.

But do you really need BT? What devices do you already own that uses BT?
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncc
You are going to need a hub anyway because ou don't include the keyboard or the mouse attached to that.

I would get Bluetooth built in.
I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse
kntgsp is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2004, 02:27 PM   #5
coconn06
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to coconn06
Quote:
Originally Posted by kntgsp
I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse
So if you have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but not the adapter? Otherwise, what was your original question really asking (i.e. why do you need a USB splitter or hub if you have bluetooth)?
coconn06 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2004, 04:35 PM   #6
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconn06
So if you have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but not the adapter? Otherwise, what was your original question really asking (i.e. why do you need a USB splitter or hub if you have bluetooth)?

Ok yea that got a little jumbled here's what I was asking. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I need bluetooth. I have a camera (1 USB), iPod dock (1 firewire), Printer/scanner (1 USB), iSight (1 Firewire), and a USB keychain I use alot (1 USB). That takes up all the 3 USB and 2 Firewire ports. So I would have to order one with built in tooth, cuz otherwise if I used a bluetooth dongle I would need on extra USB slot. And I'm not sure whether USB splitters would fit on the back of the new iMac G5 because the ports are so close together.
kntgsp is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews