Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
i already know the benefits and disadvantages of using sleep and shut down. what i do want to know is what is actually better when you consider extending the life of a computer. which one stresses the computer more?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sleep all the way. It needs less from HD as the OS doesn't have to be reloaded every time you open it. Sleep is also faster and all apps remain open.

I restart once or twice a month, zero issues

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Both are inconsequential.

what do you mean by this? i heard that shutting then turning on the mbp would put more stress on the components but on the other hand wouldn't leaving the mbp sleeping for a day put stress on it as well considering the time it will be length of time especially on components that are powered even on sleep mode?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
what do you mean by this? i heard that shutting then turning on the mbp would put more stress on the components but on the other hand wouldn't leaving the mbp sleeping for a day put stress on it as well considering the time it will be length of time especially on components that are powered even on sleep mode?

Only RAM is powered while sleeping, other components are not on.

I would say, if you use it within ~24 hours, sleep it but if you know you'll not be able to use it for +24 hours, shut it down

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
hmmm, let's say would sleeping it for 5 days cause more stress to components compared to shutting it down then turning it back on after? power use is negligible so i don't really care about that. im asking this because sometimes i don't use my mbp for days while i use a desktop computer :D

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Only RAM is powered while sleeping, other components are not on.

I would say, if you use it within ~24 hours, sleep it but if you know you'll not be able to use it for +24 hours, shut it down

that is what i was thinking. i also like sleeping so much better because of instant start up, it saves time even if it is just a few seconds, too lazy to wait, hahaha

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
hmmm, let's say would sleeping it for 5 days cause more stress to components compared to shutting it down then turning it back on after? power use is negligible so i don't really care about that. im asking this because sometimes i don't use my mbp for days while i use a desktop computer :D

It doesn't really stress it as all but RAM are turned off, but if it's not plugged in, the battery will be stressed.

IMO it doesn't really matter, some people use sleep all the time while others always shut it down, even for 10minute break

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Either sleeping or shutting down is fine. Neither will damage or cause excessive wear. That's what you MBP is designed to do. If it's going to be days and you're not plugged in, shutting down will save battery, as it will draw a bit while sleeping. Just use your Mac and don't sweat the small stuff.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The limiting factor in a typical computer is the hard drive lifetime. I've yet to see conclusive evidence either way that keeping the drive spinning vs. spinning up/down every time you power on/off is "best."

The rest of the components in a machine have a lifetime measured in decades.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The limiting factor in a typical computer is the hard drive lifetime. I've yet to see conclusive evidence either way that keeping the drive spinning vs. spinning up/down every time you power on/off is "best."

The rest of the components in a machine have a lifetime measured in decades.

Sleep function will power off the HD as well if you select that option in Energy Saving preferences. That way sleep should save HD. Data is stored to RAM which is "immortal" compared to HD and uses less energy let alone it's speed which makes sleep function so good

enzojauregui

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
thanks for all the quick replies, i guess i shouldnt stress myself on the matter to much. ill probably sleep more often, and shut down when i wont use it for a long time

one lasting thing, does sleep cause heat? i plan to keep my mbp in my nylon case while in sleep, im thinking that it might overheat in extended perods of time

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010

On that note you may as well shut it down. Less chance of it catching a freak power surge or something (even if you use a ups).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
one lasting thing, does sleep cause heat? i plan to keep my mbp in my nylon case while in sleep, im thinking that it might overheat in extended perods of time

Doubt it. RAM uses so little amount of energy so it shouldn't. You can try it with your hand and feel does it feel warm

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I personally shut mine down when I feel like it. Maybe a couple times a week or so at the most. I used to be concerned with hard drive life but I am using Intel SSDs these days so that is no longer an issue.

juandixon109

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
the more on/off cycles you to do any computers the more damage you do.

thats why a lot of electronics are measured in power cycles.

take a desktop and leave it on the whole time vs shutting down every day.

over the years the desktop that is left on will usually last longer (mb, power supply, etc).

sleep on the on other hand keeps the juices flowing so to speak. SO there is less stress on components. Heat is NOT an issue for sleep. I prefer sleep over shutting down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.