Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Semdk
macrumors member

GTA IV on new 13" MacBook Pro

I was consindering buying the new 13" MacBook Pro (C2D 2,4GHz, Nvidia 320M) and wondered if it could run GTA IV.. do you think it could run it? - How many FPS?
How about Crysis?
Semdk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Zonz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semdk View Post
I was consindering buying the new 13" MacBook Pro (C2D 2,4GHz, Nvidia 320M) and wondered if it could run GTA IV.. do you think it could run it? - How many FPS?
How about Crysis?
AFAIK, GTA is very cpu dependent and best run on Quad Core systems, and the 13'' MBP, is still on a Core2Dou. And as for crisis, lmao.

The new 13 MBP is still using integrated graphics, so whether these games will even run, I do not know, but if they do, lowest settings.
Zonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core

GTA has really crazy system requirements; well recommendations actually; I remember when I bought it, it said quad-core Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4 recommended. So by that, for at least a decent gaming experience, you'll want to pass.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Semdk
macrumors member

Which games do you then think that it will run? in other ways to put the question - Which OS X games are there left, which runs on it?
Semdk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:20 AM   #5
heliocentric

i get around 34 fps on my new 13" macbook pro...

heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
iTootyFrooty
macrumors member

I Started a 320m Gaming thread a while back, I just updated the first post so you will see all the results I have collected in one post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ook+pro+gaming
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:14 AM   #7
akswun
macrumors member

A lot of your questions are answered in the Mac and console games thread..... as for a 13" playing brand new titles.... Good luck...
First of all ... if the game isn't MAC compatible or on Steam for Mac you'll have to bootcamp Windows on your 13"
Second... from my experience graphically demanding games don't work well with the 13"... I recently bought Battlefield 2 Bad Company and played it on my bootcamped W7 on my 13" and the game struggled on Medium settings and was still hurting on low settings.

The graphics card is integrated. If you're looking to play graphically demanding games you're better off getting either a 15-17" MBP if you're looking for a Laptop or a Mac Pro.... the latter being the better option when it comes to graphically intensive games....

MBP's aren't the greatest for gaming but with the port over of Steam it's making life a little more interesting.

If you just want to play something like GTA IV you're better off playing it on PS3!

You can't always have it all... trust me!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:27 PM   #8
iTootyFrooty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akswun View Post
Second... from my experience graphically demanding games don't work well with the 13"... I recently bought Battlefield 2 Bad Company and played it on my bootcamped W7 on my 13" and the game struggled on Medium settings and was still hurting on low settings.

If you just want to play something like GTA IV you're better off playing it on PS3!
I agree with the second part, but, assuming your signature is up to date, you have an older 9400m graphics card and therefore you cant really make a conclusion about whether 320ms can play modern games.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:12 PM   #9
colmiak
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semdk View Post
How about Crysis?
avg fps on my 2010 mbp 13" (base 2.4ghz model) is 18-19 (720p resolution). i havent ran fraps to see the max/min, just the ingame benchmark. here's a video showing how it runs on my mbp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNGAQF9P3k

colmiak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:25 PM   #10
iTootyFrooty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonz View Post
And as for crisis, lmao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKg3fm30gpc
Erm.. Sorry?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice