Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
As a long time PowerBook & MacBook Pro user, I'm noticing a worrisome shift in Apples focus.

Highlighted by their deliberate act to _change_ the name of the company from "Apple Computer" to "Apple Inc." is very telling. Once they maintained a laser - like focus on computers, especially laptops, they are now clearly focused on Entertainment.

Yesterday I came across this:

“I was wondering, is it true that the iPhone 4 is cutting into OSX development causing a delay, as a big Mac user, this is of huge concern to me,” this person reportedly said to Jobs. “I just hope your balancing development and working as much as you can. Is OSX development still a huge priority? I have a worry that Apple is branching away from computers and not updating their computer customers as much.”

Jobs’ reply allegedly was, “No. Not to worry.”

Why is it... that the man I used to trust, is now at the top of my suspect list?

Simple really, although I will spare you the volume of words it would take to describe Steve Jobs ever growing desire for greed, chaos, and lust for even more power. (can you say law suits?)

Check out the story here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Stev...k-Pro-CPUs-OS-X-10-7-Development-139778.shtml

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
And this is all coming from the guy who has the following in his signature:
MacBook Pro Core i7 2.66GHz, 15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare, 4GB ram, 500@7200 hard drive.

What exactly is the problem again? How is Apple's laptop focus fading? All you are doing is complaining about a couple of minuscule quotes.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
What exactly is the problem again?
Who said there was a problem?

I thought this was an open forum of public thoughts and opinions... oops my mistake. I was simply commenting.

However I am responsible for a lapse in judgment, having forgotten that some Mac users can be a very tender, sensitive bunch.

Oh and by the way my feature laden, connectivity robust, ThinkPad W510 Workstation class laptop, has far more features including a Core i7 processor and was ready in January, not four months later like the Apple I'm still waiting for.

All hail Apple. It's my ideal hobby computer.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I replied "zzz" earlier because this is hardly "news." The best example- which you may or may not have been paying attention to when it happened- was 3 years ago (hey, almost to the day) when Leopard was delayed significantly so Apple could focus on the iPhone. You think there's been a shift in priorities? No kidding.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Who said there was a problem?

I thought this was an open forum of public thoughts and opinions... oops my mistake. I was simply commenting.

However I am responsible for a lapse in judgment, having forgotten that some Mac users can be a very tender, sensitive bunch.

Oh and by the way my feature laden, connectivity robust, ThinkPad W510 Workstation class laptop, has far more features including a Core i7 processor and was ready in January, not four months later like the Apple I'm still waiting for.

All hail Apple. It's my ideal hobby computer.
"As a long time PowerBook & MacBook Pro user, I'm noticing a worrisome shift in Apples focus. " "Why is it... that the man I used to trust, is now at the top of my suspect list? "

That's implying that you think there's a problem.

All I did was ask you a couple of questions, you're the one getting defensive/sensitive here.

I hope you enjoy your 7 pound ThinkPad W510. I take it that's why you just bought a new MacBook Pro, right? I'm sure you could've gotten a higher specced PC back when you got your previous PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's for less money, correct? Do me a favor and stop blowing random smoke out of your ass because a company removes one word from their name.

Oh and I find it hard to believe you spent $2700 on a "hobby" computer.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
whatchu know about that, I know all about that...

apple.jpg

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
whatchu know about that, I know all about that...
[/IMG]

And what what was on Apple's home page before the iPad was announced? The iMacs and the majority if not all of the miniature pictures were Mac related. I guess no one took note of that.:rolleyes:

All the MacBook Pro's got was a spec update. The iPad is an entirely new product.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
And what what was on Apple's home page before the iPad was announced? The iMacs and the majority if not all of the miniature pictures were Mac related. I guess no one took note of that.:rolleyes:

All the MacBook Pro's got was a spec update. The iPad is an entirely new product.

Fine, leave the focus on the 2 pound non phone phone, but for just one day, it would have been nice to see some focus on the new MBPs...

I think the end of the Core2Duo era is pretty significant... it was a great chip, lasted almost 5 years, and now it's over...

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Fine, leave the focus on the 2 pound non phone phone, but for just one day, it would have been nice to see some focus on the new MBPs...

I think the end of the Core2Duo era is pretty significant... it was a great chip, lasted almost 5 years, and now it's over...

Excuse me? Last I checked there was still a Core 2 Duo in every single computer in Apple's lineup excluding the Mac Pro.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Excuse me? Last I checked there was still a Core 2 Duo in every single computer in Apple's lineup excluding the Mac Pro.

That's on Apple.

The 13" Should prolly have an i3 in it.

I've never paid any attention to the 13" or the iMacs, so, whatever, let the peasants eat dirt I guess...

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

They're still MBPs. Most people don't really care if it's an i7 or a C2D.

I am writing this on a 2.8 C2D, and it's the same experience as if I were writing it on my 1.8 MBA.

Macs are great. Snow Leopard is a lovely OS.

You guys are really freaky about specs.

The new MBPs aren't front and center because it's not really news in a marketing sense. The iPad is. It doesn't mean that they don't care about OS X and computers. Their computers and OS are excellent.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
It doesn't mean that they don't care about OS X and computers. Their computers and OS are excellent.

That's why OS X supports TRIM, and there are eSATA ports and quad core laptops for Final Cut Pro users and the video cards are only more or less mediocre, I guess I see where I'm wrong... iPad is pretty cool.

Computers are not dead. Where do you think content for the iPad comes from?

jjp14

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
It's only natural that they would shift focus to their high volume selling products. When MBP's start selling as quick as iPhone/pod/pads do... maybe they'll focus on the MBP more on their homepage. It's not that big of a deal.

They aren't going to sweep their magical new product under the rug for an average refresh.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
miles got it right. SUre, the wait was a tad bit longer then normal, but you got what you wanted?

There is still not a company that has a line-up even close to Apple's and if there is, please explain the lack of drop in Apple notebook sales.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
LMAO marketing a new product that's a run-away success means their focus on other products is fading ?!

128816313188882346.jpg

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Jobs’ reply allegedly was, “No. Not to worry.”

Why is it... that the man I used to trust, is now at the top of my suspect list?

The answer to that is within you, for I trust him as much as I ever did. So what's changed within you to be so distrustful?

vasuba

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
miles got it right. SUre, the wait was a tad bit longer then normal, but you got what you wanted?

There is still not a company that has a line-up even close to Apple's and if there is, please explain the lack of drop in Apple notebook sales.

Depends on what you mean by lineup. Alot better laptops exist that give more bang for the buck.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
quad core laptops for Final Cut Pro users

As has been written in a number of places, using the 4-core chips will require a redesign of the MBP. It won't tolerate the increased heat generated by the increase in energy burned and will need a case/design that will tolerate the extra heat.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
As has been written in a number of places, using the 4-core chips will require a redesign of the MBP. It won't tolerate the increased heat generated by the increase in energy burned and will need a case/design that will tolerate the extra heat.

Duh? This has always been known.

So, the focus on the iPad and iPhone on seling Lost episodes in a fake HD format through iTunes prevents them from doing this?

Again, if the thread topic is Apples Fading Focus on Laptops? ...

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

You are full of sarcasm :D Apple's laptop line-up is laughable at best. They do offer decent laptops for a certain category of people (college students seem to be the target) but compare this line-up to the one from DELL. DELL offers these lines of laptops:

Latitude
Vostro
Inspiron
Precision Mobile Workstations
Studio Laptops
Adamo
Mini Netbooks
Gaming Laptops (Alienware)
Studio XPS Laptops

Almost every single line here has more options than entire Apple line-up. And while Apple fanboys continue trumping the advantages of MBPs compared to DELL Inspirons they conveniently forget about all other laptops like DELL M6500 Covet (starting price $3,839.00) which offers a lot of stuff that professionals need and which is not offered by Apple: Quad Core i7, 1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 3800M Graphics, 17" UltraSharp™ WideScreen WUXGA RGB LED Edge2Edge Covet Display, 16GB of RAM, BluRay, eSATA etc.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Oh, Apple's definitely less focused on laptops.

That said, that's because they're bigger. I'd guess that number of people at Apple working full time on laptop development and design is higher now than it was back in, say, 2000.

And while that DELL sure does sound nice, it does have the mild disadvantage of not running UNIX well. :)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Oh, Apple's definitely less focused on laptops.

That said, that's because they're bigger. I'd guess that number of people at Apple working full time on laptop development and design is higher now than it was back in, say, 2000.

And while that DELL sure does sound nice, it does have the mild disadvantage of not running UNIX well. :)

Depends on which UNIX though. It'll probably be able to handle Linux just fine. :)

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Depends on which UNIX though. It'll probably be able to handle Linux just fine. :)

Wouldn't expect good driver support. I've been using Linux to play WoW, and ATI and nVidia drivers are both sorta dismal by comparison to the Mac experience.

My Mac borders on unplayably slow for WoW, but it doesn't crash NEARLY as much. (As in, I don't know that I remember it crashing. Ever.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.