Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zdblue11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Hey guys Here are some pictures of my ipad. I should've taken some pictures of the screen as well. I currently have the crystal clear but might end up switching to the anti-fingerprint. I was always a fan of steinheil crystal for the iphone but the screen is so much bigger for the ipad that i don't think i can manage all the smudges and fingerprints that i am getting. the clarity is better on the crystal by far but it's getting a bit annoying to wipe it down.
anyhow, all i can say for this skin is that i know for a fact this thing will not peel off. I sent them an e-mail asking if it will leave any residue when i remove the skin and they told me it won't happen because it is some high quality silicone adhesive. (kind of skeptical on this part,, will have to see a couple of months later if i decide to go try the white skin or something)
one thing i was surprised was the texture. it wasn't just a photograph of carbon fiber design printed onto the skin but was actually textured so that it feels like real carbon fiber. (i doubt they can use real carbon fiber at this price. the total was around 23 dollars including shipping) the quality of this cloth or sticker is amazing. this is some top-notch stuff. i have used zagg and bodyguardz in the past but this is on a whole different level. no more orange peels!
for the installation, i had a little difficulty trying to align the apple logo on the smack middle but it i was able to do it after a couple of tries.

img6070a.jpg

img6074a.jpg

they also have 3 other skins (white,black,cube). I was initially going to get the white one but i was afraid it might get dirty after awhile so i chose the carbon design.
here are some pictures for the other 3 designs on their website.
ipad_skinguard_white_photo2.jpg

ipad_skinguard_deepblack_photo1.jpg

ipad_skinguard_cube_top.jpg

now i need a case and i want something like this, but it starts at 150.. and that's almost 1/3 of the ipad price!..
tap442is_.jpg

Kermy

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
Wow that looks nice...if I didn't keep my iPad in the case, I would so get the white one.

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
I just received my carbon fiber one today! I have to agree the quality of it is pretty nice. it actually has a texture to it. I haven't installed yet as I am taking mine in tomorrow to check on the wifi issue.

I was looking at the SPG anti fingerprint as well. I ended up ordering the matte phantom skinz http://phantomskinz.com/appleipad.aspx

I have this on the palm pre (not the matte) the clear one and it's amazing. But i want to cut down on the fingerprints.

Hopefully either i install it on a new ipad tomorrow, or a 3G when it comes out if I don't feel like a resolution is coming.

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
now i need a case and i want something like this, but it starts at 150.. and that's almost 1/3 of the ipad price!..
tap442is_.jpg

With such a great back, why do you want to hide it? I'm thinking of a case that i can slide in and out a bit quicker, but with a stand for movies http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320

it looks like it pops in and out pretty quickly. Then I was thinking of this bag for times where i want it "naked" http://www.myincipio.com/product/IPAD_CASE_IPAD-141

I also have this right now that I like quite a bit.http://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelshield/ipad/224

thanky0ujesus

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
looks great, but how is the protection on the sides and corners? it doesn't look like it's protected. could you post a picture zoomed in on the corner/sides? thanks!

zdblue11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
will it not leave sticky residue

according to them, they said it will not leave any residue but i am a bit skeptical on this. if ipads do heat up too much, there might be a little problem. but from what i have seen in the last couple of days, i don't think ipads have any overheating issues. I played movies on the ipad for 2+hrs yesterday and it didn't get overheated.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
OP: Really cool case, but how do you feel about the edges being exposed? Also, does the case really stick to the back well? And if so, how will you get it off when the time comes?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
that is a slick looking back skin. I was looking at these last night and thought wow how cool. But I saw that it has no side protection, If it wrapped around the sides a little would be a big help.

But that does look very cool!

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, that skin looks awesome. IMHO, it's the first skin or case that actually improves the look of the iPad.

My issue is also that it doesn't protect the edges - and to me that's the most likely place to get damaged if it falls. I am waiting for a skin that covers the sides and bezel. I know that there are cases that offer this kind of protection but I don't like the feel of most cases. For now I have made my own skin from a laptop skin. It coves the back, edges and bezel and makes the iPad easier to grip. It feels better in my hand than it does naked. I also like that it covers the entire bezel, making it easier to keep you fingers from accidentally touching the touch screen. The only problem with my homemade skin is that it's fugly - both because of the design on the skin and my inability to cut straight. I have seen skins that cover the back and bezel, but nothing that covers the edges. Also, I don't want a skin that is so thin it doesn't offer any protection.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
This one won't be around long. Apple will shut them down for unauthorized use of its logo.

thanky0ujesus

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I ordered the deep black skin, the one that looks like leather and am quite disappointed in it. Not only does it not cover the sides but it's far from coming up to the edges of the backing so definitely a good amount of space exposed on it.

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
I just got the carbon fiber stealth armor from Fusion of Ideas.

http://www.fusionofideas.com/stealtharmor-ipad.html

I am very happy with it. It goes right to the edge and covers the entire back.

I went to their store in Irvine CA (almost 90 minutes each way from San Diego) to have them install it. It was worth the trip. They did a fantastic job putting it on, I doubt I could have lined it up as straight as they did. They use a heat gun when they install it and put it in a box with a fan to circulate warm dry air to dry out afterwards. It looks firmly attached and the edges don't look like they will come loose.

The sides aren't covered, but I like the look of the black back and silver sides. Besides, I think the back is more likely to get scratched up from being set down on it.

I was wanted to get the matte black, in the pictures it looks like it has a leather texture, but when I saw it in person it is smooth. I didn't like it very much and it looked like it would show fingerprints. The carbon fiber has quite a bit of texture to it.

There is no cut-out for the Apple logo. I was disappointed because of the logo not showing, but once I saw it in the store - they have a demo iPad - I decided I really like the uninterrupted back. I think mntentman is right about needing to get the rights to use the logo. Other cases that have a cutout to expose the logo use a circle.

Overall I am very happy with this skin, It fits perfectly and it was definitely worth it to have them install it.

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
Let us know if you have any wifi issues.

Thanks, I didn't think of that.
(going off to test...)

Using the FCC test:
4/8 9.23 Mbps down, 1.52 up
4/9 9.67 down, 1.52 up
4/19 9.43 down, 1.57 up
and again, 9.75 down, 1.57 up

So, nope no problem.

zdblue11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
OP: Really cool case, but how do you feel about the edges being exposed? Also, does the case really stick to the back well? And if so, how will you get it off when the time comes?

yea the sides are exposed fully and I am planning to get a case with a front cover to protect it overall. The skin on the back does its job by preventing any scratches on the extremely scratch-able back of apple products. (not as bad as the ipod touch but still)
The skin does stick pretty well and it will not peal off by daily use. When i took off my carbon skin to install the white skin, I made sure my hands were clean and tried not to touch the sticky side. When I did take off the carbon skin after about 1week use, there were no sticky residue left on the skin. I didn't even have to wipe it down once before installing the white skin so as for removal, overall had a great experience with these skins.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I ordered the SGP carbon fiber one. I really wanted the Fusion of Ideas brand 'Tungsten' skin but for $75 (you get a clear screen shield too) I could resist, but it was hard. These 2 brands' skins are the only ones I've seen that actually improve the iPad looks.
can't wait to get mine! The op's ipad looks gorgeous.

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I had the carbon print for my 13" MBP. I removed the carbon print once I sold it and can tell you that it left no residue. In fact, it came off so well that it could easily be reused. I think it's safe to assume it's the same product so i wouldn't be too worried.

zdblue11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
I had the carbon print for my 13" MBP. I removed the carbon print once I sold it and can tell you that it left no residue. In fact, it came off so well that it could easily be reused. I think it's safe to assume it's the same product so i wouldn't be too worried.

yea i was a bit worried because initially i was thinking of changing my wifi to a 3g ipad so i didn't want to deal with any sticky residue removing process but i've seen couple of posts saying it does not leave any stickies on the ipad so i am not too worried. But i have just decided to keep my wifi version for now so it doesn't even really matter..

and for the case i have two cases in mind. What let me neglect the first choice of vaja case was
1. high price
2. it is a two piece design case.

so im either going for..
Option1
black1a.jpg

Incase Convertible Book Jacket
biggest pro for me - 3 different viewing positions, cheaper than option 2

Option2
ipadvintagecontents2.jpg

SGP Leather Case Vintage Edition
biggest pro for me - real quality leather. if you have the iphone version (im assuming it's the same material) you know how the quality of this leather is like, but only 1 viewing position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.