Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I have a question regarding the seamless switching between the integrated and the discrete gfx cards on the new mbps. From what Ive read this is based on proprietary apple technology utilising OSX somehow, as such will this work as well with windows in bootcamp? I ask because I would like to switch to windows to do some gaming and this is pretty important to me. Does anyone with a new mbp have any experience with this? Thanks.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
My guess is that the discrete GPU is always on under Windows, but I don't know for sure. Hypothetically it could use Optimus technology under Windows. I'm also curious to know what the situation is; my guess is that Apple went with the former.

Geebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Damn, how badly will battery life be affected by this? I assume the i5 with 256mb discrete will have much stronger battery performance than i7 with 512mb dedicated ram? Anyone have any experience running these two configurations with win7 in boot camp?

Geebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Damn, how badly will battery life be affected by this? I assume the i5 with 256mb discrete will have much stronger battery performance than i7 with 512mb dedicated ram? Anyone have any experience running these two configurations with win7 in boot camp?

Can someone please provide a response? Thanks.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
A number that's been thrown around is that you lost about 1hr of battery life going from using intel integrated graphics to the discrete. This is in OSX though. As you know in Bootcamp the battery life is worse still.

And yes, going from i5 -> i7 will decrease the battery life even more, maybe 30min-45min?

No concrete evidence of course but just based off of what I read. Hopefully someone who has the new units can chime in.

silversx

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
A number that's been thrown around is that you lost about 1hr of battery life going from using intel integrated graphics to the discrete. This is in OSX though. As you know in Bootcamp the battery life is worse still.

And yes, going from i5 -> i7 will decrease the battery life even more, maybe 30min-45min?

No concrete evidence of course but just based off of what I read. Hopefully someone who has the new units can chime in.

with discrete gpu always on in win7 thats really gonna hurt battery life.. the i5/i7 isn't looking so good anymore lol

especially even in osx when you have an app that triggers discrete gpu to turn on.. you minimize it and go surf the web or use Word.. the gpu stays on just because the app is open.. unless you close it.. it doesn't turn off gpu.. lol that is way lame

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Yea, wish Apple gave you an option in OSX to "just use integrated graphics" for those times when you just need basic computing on the go and want to maximize battery life. As it is its either "Automatic switching on" or "discrete-only".

silversx

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
but hey.. those ppl who buy 15 and 17 inch.. probably aren't far from a plug..

the 15/17 are hardly portable by any means...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.