Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just picked up a 15" i7 with the anti glare high-resolution display. Here is a preliminary picture to whet your appetite:
mr_15Ci7_HRAG-041510.jpg

Will post more pictures later along with a comparison to the older 15" with anti glare.

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Can't wait for the pictures, this is hands down the most important comparison i've wanted to see out of this refresh.

Z1NX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
AWESOME.

Congrats on the purchase, and a dozen or so people on here will be waiting on your pics of a comparison with last year's gen to decide what to get - including me!

Can't wait. When roughly could you get the photos up?

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Could you explain your choice of anti-glare instead of the glare option?

It really hurts me to think that I'm paying Apple $50 to remove the beautiful glass and stick on a silver bezel.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
where did you get this, they dont carry HR and SSD options in apple b&m stores.

Yes, some do. My local store just got a shipment of the hi-res anti-glare 15" machines today. It's the glossy hi-res models that they don't seem to carry.

Nuak

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Please, could you show pictures of the vertical viewing angles of the screen?

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Yes, viewing angles, screen whiteness, brightness and color please please please you're teasing all of us.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Alright, so some first impressions:
1) The difference in resolution is very noticeable; especially websites with a lot of text of images; if the site has a lot of white space and they are not coded to stay together, then there is even more white space.
2) The color is alright, but the brightness seems a bit dimmer than the older anti glare; I have both set to the same brightness and both have been calibrated with a Huey Pro.
3) The vertical viewing angles still sucks; it's a TN panel, so I'm not surprised; look like the older one. I tried taking a picture of this, but my P&S is also a POS.
4) Horizontal angles are also like the older one. I took a picture, but I don't if you can tell, but the high-resolution one looks a bit yellow from the right.

Sorry I don't have good camera with me, so everything is taken with a P&S. I didn't label the pictures to show which is the high-resolution and which is the regular one, but you can probably figure it out.

Front: Apple.com
front-applecom.jpg

Front: MacRumors.com
front-mrHome.jpg

Right side:
rightangle-mrforums.jpg

Left side:
leftangle-mrforums.jpg

Throw me questions; I can try to answer or show them; I do need to return my older computer, so time is limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.