Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
marknicholls
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Thinking of buying a Apple TV - general question

Hey

I am very much thinking of purchasing an Apple TV.

One question i have is when a film or season is purchased, if i loose/delete them can i download them for free? Whether this year or in 10 years, will it always be available as i have already paid for it? This is quite important as it would mean i wouldnt need to worry about backups

Also, if i had 2 apple TVs (one in my house and one in my girlfrends house) could i log into both with my ID and access the same seasons and films?

Many Thanks
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
godslabrat
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
One question i have is when a film or season is purchased, if i loose/delete them can i download them for free? Whether this year or in 10 years, will it always be available as i have already paid for it? This is quite important as it would mean i wouldnt need to worry about backups
On paper, no. Apple insists that you are responsible for your own backups, and that all iTunes downloads are one-time-only. In truth, if you have a disaster and you call them up and cry and snivvel, they'll let you re-download your purchases. So, you do have an option, but it's far from a guarantee and probably doesn't extend much farther than the good mood of the CSR you happen to talk to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
Also, if i had 2 apple TVs (one in my house and one in my girlfrends house) could i log into both with my ID and access the same seasons and films?
Yes.

[Disclaimer: I do not own an AppleTV.]
godslabrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Quote:
Originally Posted by godslabrat View Post
On paper, no. Apple insists that you are responsible for your own backups, and that all iTunes downloads are one-time-only. In truth, if you have a disaster and you call them up and cry and snivvel, they'll let you re-download your purchases. So, you do have an option, but it's far from a guarantee and probably doesn't extend much farther than the good mood of the CSR you happen to talk to.



Yes.

[Disclaimer: I do not own an AppleTV.]
Interesting

What is the official stance in apps in the App store and mp3s?
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:09 PM   #4
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
Also, if i had 2 apple TVs (one in my house and one in my girlfrends house) could i log into both with my ID and access the same seasons and films?

Many Thanks
I'm not certain what you mean by that question. You can only access or stream movies that you own from within a single local network. You can't stream or access your content over the internet from house to house. Thus the content that you own has to either be on the Apple TV or on a computer that is synced with the Apple TV and physically present on the same local network.

However, you can have more than one Apple TV under the same Apple ID. You can also rent content from the iTunes Store or watch podcasts or YouTube under your Apple ID from multiple Apple TVs (which could reside in different houses or locations).
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
I'm not certain what you mean by that question. You can only access or stream movies that you own from within a single local network. You can't stream or access your content over the internet from house to house. Thus the content that you own has to either be on the Apple TV or on a computer that is synced with the Apple TV and physically present on the same local network.

However, you can have more than one Apple TV under the same Apple ID. You can also rent content from the iTunes Store or watch podcasts or YouTube under your Apple ID from multiple Apple TVs (which could reside in different houses or locations).
Sorry, i meant could i download the same film twice, one to each Apple TV with my login
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:22 PM   #6
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Quote:
Originally Posted by godslabrat View Post
On paper, no. Apple insists that you are responsible for your own backups, and that all iTunes downloads are one-time-only

[Disclaimer: I do not own an AppleTV.]
I am surprised apple don't offer some sort of insurance policy, £10 a month for example to guarantee your entire collection could be re downloaded if needs be

It would save users a lot of time and one of payments for infrastructure to backup potentially TB's of data and offer Apple more revenue
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:54 PM   #7
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
I am surprised apple don't offer some sort of insurance policy, £10 a month for example to guarantee your entire collection could be re downloaded if needs be

It would save users a lot of time and one of payments for infrastructure to backup potentially TB's of data and offer Apple more revenue
Apple can't do that because they have no way of knowing whether that same movie/content will even be available when you need it. Movies/TV shows and music come and go on the iTunes Store, the distributors/studios may decide that they don't want that content on iTunes anymore and thus Apple may lose the rights to allow future access/download.

Quote:
Sorry, i meant could i download the same film twice, one to each Apple TV with my login
I'm pretty certain that it won't download to multiple Apple TVs that are at different locations. However, if you have multiple Apple TVs on the same local network they can all access the same content as long as they are linked or synced to the same computer. The only time the iTunes Store will provide downloads to multiple units is when you purchase HD content on the Apple TV. In that case when you open iTunes on the computer that is synced to that Apple TV the iTunes Store will download a standard definition version of that content to the computer so that you can use that version on your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:08 PM   #8
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
one more thing:

Are the episodes available on iTunes ever ahead of Sky1 for example? Are they more in line with the American release dates for TV?

If America is on S07E17 of 24 but UK is only on E12 could iTunes be on E17 for download? Or are the iTunes release's always up to date with the UK TV release?

Thanks
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:06 PM   #9
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
one more thing:

Are the episodes available on iTunes ever ahead of Sky1 for example? Are they more in line with the American release dates for TV?

If America is on S07E17 of 24 but UK is only on E12 could iTunes be on E17 for download? Or are the iTunes release's always up to date with the UK TV release?

Thanks
You can't buy content from the U.S. iTunes Store unless you have a credit card with a U.S. billing address. To get around this issue you might be able to use an iTunes Gift card (from the U.S.) but generally speaking you can only buy content in one country (the country where you have residence). You can preview content in other iTunes Stores (countries), but you can't buy it. Similarly, you can't buy content from the U.K. iTunes Store if you have residence in the U.S. Apple can't do anything about this, it's under the control of the content providers.

As for iTunes release dates, I'm pretty certain they are timed to when they are broadcast in the respective country where you purchase the content. Thus, a BBC/UK show will generally not be available in the U.S. until after it has been shown on U.S. TV or until it has been released to the U.S. market (and that would usually be after the time when it is available in the U.K.).
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:22 AM   #10
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
As for iTunes release dates, I'm pretty certain they are timed to when they are broadcast in the respective country where you purchase the content. Thus, a BBC/UK show will generally not be available in the U.S. until after it has been shown on U.S. TV or until it has been released to the U.S. market (and that would usually be after the time when it is available in the U.K.).

Thats a shame, i was expecting to be able to legally get American seasons quicker than in the UK - If its going to be the same release dates i dont think ill bother getting one now. May as well just use my sky+ box
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:14 PM   #11
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
im still considering my options, there is just something about it which seems very good

I currently have 1000's of episodes of seasons all with correct meta data, DVD art etc all MKVs

Converting everything isnt an issue, but iTunes cant read meta data can it?

How will iTunes get all season and film info? DVD art etc? is there a way?

Many Thanks
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:48 PM   #12
DirtWarden
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I've had the experience you describe above, where I've purchased a movie only to lose it later. I emailed Apple (should have called) and they refused to enable a "re-download" of the movie. The simple solution was to turn to my friend whose initials are "bit" and "torrent." In my biased opinion, I was in the right since I had paid for the right to hold a license to the digital version of the film.
DirtWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:28 PM   #13
marknicholls
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via MSN to marknicholls
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknicholls View Post
im still considering my options, there is just something about it which seems very good

I currently have 1000's of episodes of seasons all with correct meta data, DVD art etc all MKVs

Converting everything isnt an issue, but iTunes cant read meta data can it?

How will iTunes get all season and film info? DVD art etc? is there a way?

Many Thanks
ive just played around with a free fawlty towers download within iTunes and it seems that that artwork is embedded in the m4v

Is there an easy and quick way to convert my MKV's but also embed any existing album art into the new .mov or which ever format is best?
__________________
Mark Nicholls
G4 iBook 1.42GHz
60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm - 512MB
Slot-Loading SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA - Built-in AirPort Extreme - Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
iPod Shuffle 512MB
marknicholls is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question: thinking of buying a cell booster Paulshaqz iPhone 5 Feb 3, 2013 11:10 AM
All iPads: Thinking about buying iPad saporiti iPad 55 Jan 25, 2013 11:13 AM
General historical question about Apple and GPUs CycloneX iMac 15 Nov 5, 2012 07:33 PM
Thinking about buying Apple TV but don't want to convert my media orestes1984 Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Sep 20, 2012 08:05 AM
Thinking About Buying the Apple TV... jmine83 Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Aug 19, 2012 11:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC