Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What do I do if my iPod randomly shuts off once in a while. This has only happened 4-5 times in 2 months, but it happened again this morning. It once happened during a jog. I was in the middle of a song, and then it just reset, and the Apple logo came on. The same thing happened when I was lying on a couch, motionless. Definitely not due to shaking and vibration effects.

This morning, my iPod reset after I updated my songs by connecting to my PB. I unplugged it (safely), and it was on the main menu, which is what normally happens. Then the Apple symbol came up.

I realize this isn't normal, and I normally advise people to use "common sense." If a part inside is loose, or if it doesn't turn on, then yes, it is obviously broken. ;) However, if I bring this machine into the MAC1 Apple retailer, I can't exactly prove that it shuts off sporadically. It doesn't happen often, so that makes it harder to prove. It also makes it harder for them to fix. They may just send it back to me. :rolleyes:

Does anybody have this issue, and does the issue get worse? Whether it gets worse may be the deciding factor, I think.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think the part about unplugging it from the computer after updating and having it go to the Apple icon for a few seconds is actually normal.

The other stuff- have you tried reinstalling the software, or at least forcing a 'reboot'?

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I'd be willing to bet it's set to auto-off after a certain time period. This is an option in the Settings control. I actually use this when I'm using the pod in the car alot for short drives, because I frequently forget to push stop when I've turned off the car.

The apple icon always comes on after unplugging from the computer.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
well my ipod definetly dosnt have the auto off option turned on, i was driving home from chicago and it just reset itself out of nowhere

and last night i was driving home from a show and then it just shut off

i cant call apple, they wont say anything since its out of warranty.

any ideas?

anyone?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.