Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
There's a thread for Trafford Centre, but I've decided to go for a change with the iPad launch.

Who's planning to visit the Arndale Centre in Manchester to get theirs?

I'm probably gonna pre-order on May 10th, but still get there for 9am for an early start.

Who's with me...?

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
As long as they don't stiff us on postage, I may well get mine delivered.

But I'm tempted to go to a store for 'the experience'. Sad huh? Having never set foot in an Apple store, it could be a good opportunity, as I'm sure there'd be a good buzz.

I'll weigh my options on the 10th.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
So dates and prices have been announced... Who's with me then?

I'm glad it's a Friday (still had to book it off work) but I'll be pre-ordering mine tomorrow morning, then travelling to Arndale to collect first thing in the morning of the 28th! :D

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm torn between delivery and pickup, the Arndale being my local Apple store.

Great release day the 28th though for multiple reasons - it's payday, I'm already off work 5 days from the 28th, and I'm off on my hols on June 6th giving me ample time to pack my iPad with content \o/

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
I'm torn between delivery and pickup, the Arndale being my local Apple store.

Great release day the 28th though for multiple reasons - it's payday, I'm already off work 5 days from the 28th, and I'm off on my hols on June 6th giving me ample time to pack my iPad with content \o/

It's my weekend off too! So I get to play all day/weekend!

I'd suggest collecting as delivery may come a LOT later than you expect (especially if there are a lot of pre-orders!) - You'll be gutted if it came at 5pm when you had the chance to go early and collect.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Well, the choice was made for me as it appears pickup wasn't an option when I ordered my 32gb 3G at 0500 this morning.

Given that I KNEW we'd be getting it late here I'd successfully put the iPad out of my mind for a couple of months....but I'm getting excited now!!!

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
Just been in the Arndale store, the guy there said pre-order should run for at least 2 weeks.

Also he said they were expecting a significant stock of iPads on the 28th and they dont expect them to sell out as soon as they open.

But i suppose he could be talking out of his *rse...

:EDIT Oh, he also said they'd be available as soon as they opened, i asked if he was sure they wouldn't be released at some point during that day and he told me they would definitely be available at opening time.

iPaddy

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
There's an expectation they'll sell out within an hour of opening. Even given what the guy in the store told me above, i dont think there's much chance of any being left after mid-day.

WHS.
Every Apple rep I've asked has said stores are expected to run out extremely quickly.

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
Given that pre-orders have now slipped, i think i'll be at the Trafford Centre on launch day. I think it should be quieter, less office workers trying to get one while they're working in Manchester.

gawuffy

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
Does anyone know if the Arndale Centre it's self will open early to allow a queue to form outside the Apple store, or if it's just a case of who can run the fastest when the doors open?

gawuffy

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
just been in again, to summarise, still no news of opening times, he suggested i ask again on Thursday.

Thanks for asking again - I guess we'll see what they say on Thursday. I'm wondering whether turning up at 8am on Friday will be too late..?

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
Thanks for asking again - I guess we'll see what they say on Thursday. I'm wondering whether turning up at 8am on Friday will be too late..?

Possibly too late, if demand is very high, he did speculate last week that they might open the Arndale at 7am then the store at 8am, by which time i imagine there could be a big queue. Its anybodies guess how many they'll have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.