Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1
rydenfan
macrumors member

Can I delete apps from iPad without removing from iTunes and iPhone?

I hate the look of the pixelated iPhone apps on the iPad. Plus some of them are not apps that make sense for the iPad. Is there a way I can delete them from the iPad? My concern is that if I delete them from the iPad
1. When I sync back to iTunes it will then delete the app permanently from iTunes and then my iPhone
2. It will re-add the apps every time I sync

Thanks for the help
rydenfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
AR15MBP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
I hate the look of the pixelated iPhone apps on the iPad. Plus some of them are not apps that make sense for the iPad. Is there a way I can delete them from the iPad? My concern is that if I delete them from the iPad
1. When I sync back to iTunes it will then delete the app permanently from iTunes and then my iPhone

Thanks for the help
i'm assuming you don't want to or can't resync your ipad and remove the programs you don't want? almost 100% positive if you delete from the ipad it will not remove from your computer.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thanks for the help
Not sure if this addresses your problem but here's what I do.
When I sync, I just go to the apps tab (under my iPad) and uncheck the apps I don't want on my iPad. They stay in iTunes. I do the same when syncing my iPhone (uncheck the apps I don't want to sync).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
ddarko
macrumors regular

Remove the app from the iPad and then be sure to un-select the app from the list of apps in iTunes that are to be sync'ed to your iPad. If you don't do the second step, the app will be installed on your iPad every time you sync. Once you un-select it, it won't be sync'ed back onto your iPad but it will remain on your computer. And you can choose to sync those apps to your iPhone but not your iPad.
ddarko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5
rydenfan
macrumors member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses

Death to the upscaled apps
rydenfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
skubish
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko
Remove the app from the iPad and then be sure to un-select the app from the list of apps in iTunes that are to be sync'ed to your iPad. If you don't do the second step, the app will be installed on your iPad every time you sync. Once you un-select it, it won't be sync'ed back onto your iPad but it will remain on your computer. And you can choose to sync those apps to your iPhone but not your iPad.
Really? On the iPhone if I delete an app from
the phone it won't resync it back the next time I sync. I am pretty sure iTunes will automatically unchecked any app you delete. In any case iTunes won't delete apps. You have to do that manually.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:20 PM   #7
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post
Your explanation was much clearer then mine
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:23 PM   #8
ddarko
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubish View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

the phone it won't resync it back the next time I sync. I am pretty sure iTunes will automatically unchecked any app you delete. In any case iTunes won't delete apps. You have to do that manually.
You may be right that it works automatically if have the "sync all apps" setting turned on. I don't know b/c I never did, I always selected apps manually b/c I didn't want iPhone apps on my iPads.
ddarko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:25 PM   #9
bbotte
macrumors 65816

Wow a lot of newbs in here today.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:26 PM   #10
jeffy777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubish View Post

You are correct. If you delete an app directly on your iPad, it will not be installed again when you sync.
jeffy777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Maskusee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbotte View Post
Wow a lot of newbs in here today.

Yeah, i thought of that too when a read the title of the thread.

It's nice to see the community help out.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Travisimo
macrumors 6502a

In my experience, this is how it works:

If you delete an app directly on your iPad, it will remain off of your device even after you sync (it will now be unchecked in the list). Remember, however, that any data stored with the app is gone forever (saved games, etc) because that data is only stored on your device with the app and in your backup onn your computer. The apps in iTunes are just the master apps without any personal data attached. When you do an app update, it deletes the old one and replaces it with the new one in iTunes. And each device you sync has it's own settings, so if you delete from one device, it will still remain synced to other devices.
Travisimo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps