Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I hate the look of the pixelated iPhone apps on the iPad. Plus some of them are not apps that make sense for the iPad. Is there a way I can delete them from the iPad? My concern is that if I delete them from the iPad
1. When I sync back to iTunes it will then delete the app permanently from iTunes and then my iPhone
2. It will re-add the apps every time I sync

Thanks for the help

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
I hate the look of the pixelated iPhone apps on the iPad. Plus some of them are not apps that make sense for the iPad. Is there a way I can delete them from the iPad? My concern is that if I delete them from the iPad
1. When I sync back to iTunes it will then delete the app permanently from iTunes and then my iPhone

Thanks for the help

i'm assuming you don't want to or can't resync your ipad and remove the programs you don't want? almost 100% positive if you delete from the ipad it will not remove from your computer.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Thanks for the help

Not sure if this addresses your problem but here's what I do.
When I sync, I just go to the apps tab (under my iPad) and uncheck the apps I don't want on my iPad. They stay in iTunes. I do the same when syncing my iPhone (uncheck the apps I don't want to sync).

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Remove the app from the iPad and then be sure to un-select the app from the list of apps in iTunes that are to be sync'ed to your iPad. If you don't do the second step, the app will be installed on your iPad every time you sync. Once you un-select it, it won't be sync'ed back onto your iPad but it will remain on your computer. And you can choose to sync those apps to your iPhone but not your iPad.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses

Death to the upscaled apps :D

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

ddarko said:
Remove the app from the iPad and then be sure to un-select the app from the list of apps in iTunes that are to be sync'ed to your iPad. If you don't do the second step, the app will be installed on your iPad every time you sync. Once you un-select it, it won't be sync'ed back onto your iPad but it will remain on your computer. And you can choose to sync those apps to your iPhone but not your iPad.

Really? On the iPhone if I delete an app from
the phone it won't resync it back the next time I sync. I am pretty sure iTunes will automatically unchecked any app you delete. In any case iTunes won't delete apps. You have to do that manually.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Your explanation was much clearer then mine ;)

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

the phone it won't resync it back the next time I sync. I am pretty sure iTunes will automatically unchecked any app you delete. In any case iTunes won't delete apps. You have to do that manually.

You may be right that it works automatically if have the "sync all apps" setting turned on. I don't know b/c I never did, I always selected apps manually b/c I didn't want iPhone apps on my iPads.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010

You are correct. If you delete an app directly on your iPad, it will not be installed again when you sync.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
In my experience, this is how it works:

If you delete an app directly on your iPad, it will remain off of your device even after you sync (it will now be unchecked in the list). Remember, however, that any data stored with the app is gone forever (saved games, etc) because that data is only stored on your device with the app and in your backup onn your computer. The apps in iTunes are just the master apps without any personal data attached. When you do an app update, it deletes the old one and replaces it with the new one in iTunes. And each device you sync has it's own settings, so if you delete from one device, it will still remain synced to other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.