Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Can people clear this up for me please :)

The only way to get apps for the iPad outside the US is through the US app store with a US account yes?

Heard stories of people in the UK that have said some apps for the iPad (not iPhone apps) through the UK store.

If so i need to set myself up a US account.

Sorry to make a thread just for this but needed to clear things up!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Not sure how things are in the UK iTunes Store but here in the Australian Store (this is on iTunes on the computer, not an iPad), I can get most of the iPad apps. Some of them, like iWork, Netflix, ABC Player and a few others, aren't available for download on the Aus store. But as I said, most of them you can get.

EDIT: Oh, just remembered! The iPad apps won't show up on the main page or the app store page, you will need to do a search for them. If you want a general search of all iPad apps, just do a search for "iPad". It will give you the normal search results screen:
3OUN

Then go into "iPad Apps - See All", and it will give you pages of all iPad (and universal) apps:
3OUO

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Not sure how things are in the UK iTunes Store but here in the Australian Store (this is on iTunes on the computer, not an iPad), I can get most of the iPad apps. Some of them, like iWork, Netflix, ABC Player and a few others, aren't available for download on the Aus store. But as I said, most of them you can get.

Do you just have to search for the ones you want? I dont have an iPhone - iPad switch at the top like the US store.

Edit: Thanks for you edit :D

Edit 2: Works perfect :)

nickhutson

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
It's a shame the iWork suite programs aren't there to my knowledge.

I am in the UK... to, those with iPads here - do you have any access to the iBook store yet?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
It's a shame the iWork suite programs aren't there to my knowledge.

I am in the UK... to, those with iPads here - do you have any access to the iBook store yet?

I cant find it in the UK store :(

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
If you have an ipad at the moment then you really need a US iTunes account to get the best apps.

A US iTunes account is easy to set up, check out the many various posts about this on the forum.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
If you have an ipad at the moment then you really need a US iTunes account to get the best apps.

A US iTunes account is easy to set up, check out the many various posts about this on the forum.

Other than the iWork apps can you name some of the 'best apps' just wondered what im missing when i get mine if i dont get a US account.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Other than the iWork apps can you name some of the 'best apps' just wondered what im missing when i get mine if i dont get a US account.

I am just going through the top Paid and Free iPad apps in the US and will come up with a list of whats unavailable.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Okay, here is the list of all unavailable iPad apps on the Australian iTunes Store, using the top 100 Paid and Free apps from the US Store. I assume the following list will be the same for the UK and other countries. Let me know if that assumption is wrong.

Name (US Rank - Category)

Paid Apps:
Pages (2 - Productivity)
Keynote (6 - Productivity)
Numbers (7 - Productivity)
SCRABBLE for iPad (12 - Games)
Mirror's Edge for iPad (21 - Games)
Need for Speed Shift for iPad (33 - Games)
COMMAND & CONQUER RED ALERT for iPad (45 - Games)
Real Soccer 2010 HD (60 - Games)
TETRIS for iPad (71 - Games)

Free Apps:
iBooks (2 - Books)
ABC Player (3 - Entertainment)
Netflix (8 - Entertainment)
Shazam for iPad (27 - Music)
eBay for iPad (29 - Lifestyle)
Yahoo! Entertainment (38 - Entertainment)
Pandora Radio (54 - Music)
Hello Baby - Pregnancy Calendar (57 - Healthcare & Fitness)
Dragon Dictation (79 - Business)
Craft Finder on iPad: Great Crafts from Disney FamilyFun (82 - Productivity)
NBA Game Time Courtside (84 - Sports)
WORLD BOOK - This Day in History for iPad (91 - Education)
White & Yellow Pages (94 - Reference)
Square (95 - Finance)

And that's all folks. Any mistakes, let me know and I will check it out.

So we have 91 out of 100 paid apps, and 86 out of 100 free apps. I would say this is pretty good so far.
Apple's apps (iWork and iBooks) will roll out to us as the iPad hits our shores.
Video and streaming apps (ABC, Netflix, Yahoo, Pandora, NBA) probably won't come around due to copyright agreements.
The big games (Scrabble, Mirror's Edge, NFS, Command + Conquer, Real Soccer, Tetris) will get to us soon I imagine.
The rest, I don't know. White & Yellow Pages is obviously a US specific app, so no need to worry about that. I'm not sure what international credit card deals will be like for Square to put into place.

I'm sure we will find out more when everything gets official in "Late May".

All information is correct to the best of my knowledge at time of typing.

Robin Chung

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Netherlands
I made a us account because it was the only way for me to get the Books app.

Most iPad Apps are in the dutch store except for the Apple ones and maybe a few others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.