Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1
AppleFanBoy888
macrumors member

iPad Screen Flickering

I just got a iPad 64GB a few days ago and I started to notice a persistent flickering issue. The flicker is very noticeable on a white background.

Anybody else have this problem?
AppleFanBoy888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
lonman06
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingli168 View Post
I just got a iPad 64GB a few days ago and I started to notice a persistent flickering issue. The flicker is very noticeable on a white background.

Anybody else have this problem?
I have noticed this as well sometimes.
lonman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
dino26
macrumors 6502

I would return it to apple and get a replacement
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:35 PM   #4
AppleFanBoy888
macrumors member

It seems like if I increase the brightness, the flickering goes away.

How do I exchange it? Do I go to the Genius Bar or something? (Sorry, I'm new to Apple Stores...)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5
dino26
macrumors 6502

Quote:

How do I exchange it? Do I go to the Genius Bar or something? (Sorry, I'm new to Apple Stores...)
I think you setup a appointment with the genius bar at your local apple store online. Remember when you are there state how much it annoys you when it flickers i doubt he will argue with you he will probally swap it for another one straight away
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
ciaran00
macrumors 6502

Any subtle changes in your ambient lighting?

Does it go away if you turn off the ambient light sensor?
ciaran00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Surely

Yes make an appointment before you go. It's easy to do- just google your local Apple Store, and follow the Genius Bar Appointment option.

Make sure that you will be able to replicate the problem for the "Genius". At the least, you should take a video of it happening, just in case you aren't able to make it happen while you are there.....
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:45 PM   #8
GregGebhardt
Banned

Quote:

Start by calling them and describing your problem. Tell them you want to exchange for a new unit. They may not have stock.

Appointment may not be required, just give them a call as they are good people to deal with! They traded out my 3 day old C2D Macbook Pro for the newest i7 and did not even charge me a restocking fee, they even gave me new Apple Care pack to replace the old one. They did it with a smile!

Just call them.
GregGebhardt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:11 PM   #9
AppleFanBoy888
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post
Any subtle changes in your ambient lighting?

Does it go away if you turn off the ambient light sensor?
I tried turning off auto brightness but it still flickers.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Shaycoholic
macrumors newbie

Smile I am ignoring mine

I noticed that mine flickers off and on too but not to the point that it bothers me enough to drive half an hour to the only Apple store in Ohio. Mine only flickers when I type, and rebooting helps get rid of it. Like right now I am typing on my iPad and everything is okay. A couple minutes ago there was some slight flickering and I did not even do anything and it went away. So I guess it's really up to you if you want to exchange it.

I also have one tiny dead pixel on one corner that can barely be seen, I considered having my iPad replaced but I've read stories of how replacement units were sometimes even worse. For me it's just not worth the hassle, like I said, my iPad's flaws could very well be overlooked, and we have that one year warranty anyway, and longer if you purchased Apple Care.

So yea, if it's barely noticeable, I suggest to just deal with it, but if it's really that bothersome, you are very well entitled to get your money's worth
Old May 21, 2010, 06:22 AM   #11
mianesva

Unhappy Same here

64G wifi. Flickers, but not all the time. Need to continue monitoring and determine factors such as charging, charged, plugged in or not, amount of charge and ambient light.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 06:28 AM   #12
Stealthipad
Banned

Call them first!

Most Apple stores do not have stock
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 06:38 AM   #13
antiprotest
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mianesva View Post
64G wifi. Flickers, but not all the time. Need to continue monitoring and determine factors such as charging, charged, plugged in or not, amount of charge and ambient light.
I don't think this should happen at all, not even a little bit and not under any condition. The unit is defective.
antiprotest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Battlestar
Banned

You should probably bring it back for a replacement.
Battlestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 08:00 PM   #15
tigerx82
macrumors newbie

64GB Wifi flicker happened then ipad "died"

This actually just happened to me in the past 24 hours on my 64G wifi ipad. I noticed a flicker a day ago and thought it was minor.

The flicker became quite extreme this morning and the ipad eventually blacked out completely and would not restore in itunes. I was able to quickly schedule a genius appointment and got it replaced this afternoon.

If your ipad is flickering at all, i would plan to get it replaced or looked at by apple.
tigerx82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 09:38 PM   #16
alana22
macrumors regular

No flickering here. I would take it in, could be something serious?
alana22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 02:01 AM   #17
kissnoob
macrumors member

My first ipad had flickering issue in low brightness. I exchanged for a new one (due to a different reason) and the new one doesn't this issue.

Just make appointment with genius bar. State your reason in the appointment. When they exchange your ipad, they will swap it with a new one in brown box.

The salesperson @ my apple store said they don't have any ipad anymore and the waiting list is long. On my appointment, the genius pulled out a brand new ipad still in wrap in brown box, no sim, no accessory. Therefore, when they say they run out of ipad, it just means retail box. Don't be discouraged by that information.
kissnoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:15 AM   #18
sentientstar
macrumors newbie

Flickering Normal

Hey all,

Finally got my hands on an iPad here in Singapore as they were sold out real quick I was quite worried when I noticed my iPad screen flickering when set at the lowest brightness option. Read a few forums and came to the conclusion that it's a normal effect for LED screens... Here's an excerpt from where else but Wikipedia. Hope it allays your fears too! I'm using the Macally Bookstand Case by the way and I love it!

"Flicker due to backlight dimming
LED backlights are often dimmed by applying pulse-width modulation to the supply current, effectively switching the backlight off and on again very quickly. A screen with an LED backlight dimmed this way will therefore flicker. If the frequency of the pulse-width modulation is too low and or the user is very sensitive to flicker, this may cause discomfort and eye-strain, similar to the flicker of CRT displays."
sentientstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:56 AM   #19
klover
macrumors 6502a

Mine flickers everytime I restore it/reset settings. It seems the default brightness would cause it to flicker.

As soon as I adjust the brightness up or down, it stopped flickering and wouldn't start again until I restored it.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:40 PM   #20
jacken
macrumors newbie

Flickering problem solved

The flickering problem will be solved with an firmware upgrade.
Update
The problem remains.

Last edited by jacken; Oct 5, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
jacken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:57 PM   #21
m.a.c.b.o.y
macrumors member

Luckily I haven't had any problems with my screen. I have a 32GB Wi-Fi and haven't had any issues.
m.a.c.b.o.y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
gman901
macrumors 6502

My 64gb 3G iPad doesn't flicker, but I do notice from time to time when I turn the screen on - it comes on for a split second and then goes black. When I press the wake button on top, the screen doesn't come on, but I hear the sound like I turned off the screen. I have to then hit the wake button to turn the screen on again. I can't easily reproduce this; however I am up to date with the latest firmware. Should I be concerned or is this normal?
gman901 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:58 AM   #23
RhiannonUndead
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Wanana jack bandit!

My bf has an ipad and his screen flickers slightly as well, but i have noticed his only does it when the brightness setting is turned all the way down to lowest setting. The auto-brightness feature had no effect either way on the flivkering but if i raised the brightness to just above the lowest level it was fine. Firmware updates also did not produce any changes and his ipad is NOT jailbroken.
RhiannonUndead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting