Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
harpy
macrumors member

How do you reformat the iPad?

I'm on the verge of getting one, but one thing I want to figure out is how easy it will be to reformat the device if I want to sell it later on eBay?

If I load the iPad up with pdfs, movies, apps, photos, documents, etc. How easy will it be to scrub the system clean of all of that so I can sell it to someone?

I get that with iTunes you can get rid of a lot of content, but I suspect I'd be using lots of specialty apps that will transfer content over without using iTunes. So deleting files might not be as effortless as just using iTunes.

So is there just some format setting that can be done to clean the whole iPad of personal content and get it back to a factory state?
harpy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Uchiha1911
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpy View Post
I'm on the verge of getting one, but one thing I want to figure out is how easy it will be to reformat the device if I want to sell it later on eBay?

If I load the iPad up with pdfs, movies, apps, photos, documents, etc. How easy will it be to scrub the system clean of all of that so I can sell it to someone?

I get that with iTunes you can get rid of a lot of content, but I suspect I'd be using lots of specialty apps that will transfer content over without using iTunes. So deleting files might not be as effortless as just using iTunes.

So is there just some format setting that can be done to clean the whole iPad of personal content and get it back to a factory state?
I do not own an iPad, but I guess there's a 'restore' option for the iPad (just like the iPod Touch and iPhone), which brings it back to factory state
Uchiha1911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
murphyrulez
macrumors member

Tap system settings, general, reset, erase all content and settings.

Tada!
murphyrulez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Tech-Boy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpy View Post

Just hit the restore button. Done. However I would still be able to get through that and get mos of your files if I wanted too. So take a song, duplicate it to the size of the iPad's flash memory and copy it over, then restore. That way even if someone get's through it, like after any format, all they will see is the song duplicated hundreds of times.
Tech-Boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:51 AM   #5
harpy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Boy View Post
Just hit the restore button. Done. However I would still be able to get through that and get mos of your files if I wanted too. So take a song, duplicate it to the size of the iPad's flash memory and copy it over, then restore. That way even if someone get's through it, like after any format, all they will see is the song duplicated hundreds of times.
Thanks, I think that is the key information I was after. It's too bad there isn't a true reformatting, but an overwriting work around will do in a pinch. Getting rid of personal information is going to be essential to selling it off to a stranger.
harpy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

Reformat:

You mean there is not an "App for that?"
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyrulez View Post
Quote:
Just hit the restore button.
Either of these methods will work. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3828

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
voidptr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Given how long a "Reset all Settings and Content" from the settings app takes, I'm pretty sure it's doing a complete flash erase.
voidptr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidptr View Post
Given how long a "Reset all Settings and Content" from the settings app takes, I'm pretty sure it's doing a complete flash erase.
Newer iPhoneOS devices (and presumably the iPad) use hardware encryption. When you restore/erase, the encryption key is cleared and the data is effectively gone. Should happen instantaneously.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
MacToddB
macrumors 6502a

If you have Mobile Me, you can even wipe it remotely
MacToddB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:30 PM   #11
voidptr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrescha View Post
Newer iPhoneOS devices (and presumably the iPad) use hardware encryption. When you restore/erase, the encryption key is cleared and the data is effectively gone. Should happen instantaneously.

A.
Yeah, I stand corrected. The original iPhone does a full erase, the 3GS and iPad just regenerate encryption keys. Either way, it's secure. No need to try and trick iTunes into syncing GBs of garbage first.
voidptr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Nash Bridges
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyrulez View Post

Tada!
Does this really wipe it or is it like formatting a hard drive where it just marks the space available for writing and the original data is still there?
Nash Bridges is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad