Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Where do you stand on no glare and glossy screens ? I want to buy a 15" laptop and see that I have a choice of 1440x900 pixels or 1680x1050 anti glare or glossy . Seeing as how you watch and do more as graphic artists I think you would be the ones who could see the difference . I do not use my laptop out side , I do some PScs3 and doc retouching , no gaming or video . Thanks

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Get the matte screen. On the glassy screens you'll have constant reflections whenever you have a darker color on your screen – even in an indoor situation with no light source behind you. After 2,5 years with my 24" Alu iMac I know I will never buy a glossy screen again. If it wasn't for my 21" matte Eizo next to the iMac I wouldn't be able to work on some darker layouts or photos. I hope this mirror screen trend will be over some day.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Thanks for the lead Spinnerly , it is a tad dated , but look what someone had to say : "And to those of you who complain about him posting the same in every thread - I don't frequent the forums that much, and rely on the notification on my thread to keep myself updated. I would have missed this if he didn't post it here". How true .
A quote from 2006 and a good one at that . If you have read or seen a thread before : don't read it , move on . Some of us are looking for info now . Redundant , yes , but helpful .

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Get the matte screen. On the glassy screens you'll have constant reflections....

+1

I gave up waiting for anti-glare to come to the 13" MBP and got glossy. Almost everytime I use it I think "this would be a perfect laptop if not for that stinkin' glare."

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks for the lead Spinnerly , it is a tad dated , but look what someone had to say : "And to those of you who complain about him posting the same in every thread - I don't frequent the forums that much, and rely on the notification on my thread to keep myself updated. I would have missed this if he didn't post it here". How true .
A quote from 2006 and a good one at that . If you have read or seen a thread before : don't read it , move on . Some of us are looking for info now . Redundant , yes , but helpful .

Nevermind the MRoogle trolls. It is some form of spam for an essentially useless search engine (that isn't really a search engine, just a front to Google) that returns equally useless results from 2006. :confused:

Glossy:

• First impressions are that it looks nicer, makes your MacBook Pro look shiny.
  • Makes the screen look bigger because of glass/bezel design (it isn't).
  • Good wow-factor.

vs

• Your eyes are constantly focusing on the wrong thing (reflections) which tires your eyes and is headache inducing.
  • Also think whether you like having bright lights shown in your eyes, because that is what will happen if you have a light source behind you.
  • Even if you think you can "resist" this, subsconsciously this is a real mind-frack and productivity killer.
  • If you've seen glossy before, remember that Apple glossy is exceptionally bad on these models (MacBook Air is much better, for example).

Anti-Glare:

• Get this if you're going to do any kind of real work.
  • I love the screen. The quality is top notch.

vs

• It's a different design, with an aluminium bezel. I didn't like it at first especially compared to the glossy design, but I love it now. It grows on you quickly. Just check out some of the pics on this forum.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
What I did was go to the Apple store. Look at the Apps you want to use. They have Adobe CS4 installed on the computers. Look at them, try all the apps out. Also, play a few videos clips from the Quicktime site. You can't base your decision on someone else's eyes.

A couple of months ago I switch from the Antiglare to the glossy. It has taken me a few months to get my eyes adjusted. I wear glasses and I had been using the Apple Matte screen for over 10yrs. After, going to the Apple store I chalked it up as how much I'm willing to spend on antiglare? So I went with the glossy. Oh and made an eye appt. :)

I sorta lucked out cause a couple of the APple Genius who are graphics users gave me some tips on setting my screen. I have now a couple different calibrations. And I made sure what I printed was what I saw on screen.

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
You can't base your decision on someone else's eyes.

A couple of months ago I switch from the Antiglare to the glossy. It has taken me a few months to get my eyes adjusted. I wear glasses and I had been using the Apple Matte screen for over 10yrs.

Right it took you a few MONTHs to get your eyes "adjusted". :eek:

Oh please, who are you kidding here? Listen to your own eyes.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Are any of the "screen protector " anti glare films worth putting on your mac? or is it better to leave it nekkid' and learn to live with the glare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.