Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
i noticed this once a couple months ago but i rebooted and it never happened again until now. except this time the reboot didnt help. anyways, my cursor is hard to move it gets stuck and when i go to click something small it moves a little on its own. it was also right clicking by itself and opening the option menu.

any ideas what could be going on?

nicksmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
you might want to try to got to the system preferences then go to the track pad option and check your settings if theres something screwed up then fix it. but if that doesn't work then i would say that you need to take it to a apple store and get some help there or call apple for support.:apple:

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
its not the settings but it stopped doing it. i took it to the apple store but of coarse by the time i got there it stopped acting up. they told me if it keeps happening to take it back in.

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
Might have been some sort of contaminant on either the trackpad or your fingers. It sounds silly, but Ive had trackpad problems that were solved by either washing my hands or cleaning the trackpad.

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
My wife had the same thing you described but on her macbook pro: intermittent 'sticking' of the cursor when using the trackpad. She brought it in and -luckily for her- it also happened in the store. They replaced the trackpad but apparently to do that they needed to swap the entire top case. Good thing it was still under warranty.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
My wife had the same thing you described but on her macbook pro: intermittent 'sticking' of the cursor when using the trackpad. She brought it in and -luckily for her- it also happened in the store. They replaced the trackpad but apparently to do that they needed to swap the entire top case. Good thing it was still under warranty.

hmm. what was the problem? faulty trackpad? and how often was it doing it on hers? hopefully next time it happens to me it will do it when i bring it to the store..

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
On her machine, it started out with an inability to use the trackpad when she wanted to click and then drag, that action didn't work at all. She shrugged it off, mainly b/c she needs the machine daily. Then things got worse and the pad became erractic to the point that she couldn't use it anymore. It would start by working, then halfway it just froze up, only to work again a couple of minutes later. Occasionally she had a couple of hours without problems. She brought it in, the guys checked it out and said that they needed to replace the top case (presumably they can't change just the pad but that's just speculation on my part). Anyway, they called her when the part was in, she dropped off her machine in the morning and picked it up again in the afternoon, everything ok again.

Good luck!

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
On her machine, it started out with an inability to use the trackpad when she wanted to click and then drag, that action didn't work at all. She shrugged it off, mainly b/c she needs the machine daily. Then things got worse and the pad became erractic to the point that she couldn't use it anymore. It would start by working, then halfway it just froze up, only to work again a couple of minutes later. Occasionally she had a couple of hours without problems. She brought it in, the guys checked it out and said that they needed to replace the top case (presumably they can't change just the pad but that's just speculation on my part). Anyway, they called her when the part was in, she dropped off her machine in the morning and picked it up again in the afternoon, everything ok again.

Good luck!

ok thanks man :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.