Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
My e-mail arrived on 4/17/2010 around 4PM EST. I ordered on the day of the pre-order opening and I DID pick Priority shipping during that pre-order. Below is the email I got from apple:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

If you have already paid for your purchase, please retain this invoice receipt
for your records.

If you need to send payment to Apple, please reference Apple's Invoice Number on
your remittance. After remitting payment, please retain this invoice receipt for
your records.

Invoice Number: X
Invoice Date: 04/17/10
Web Order Number: X
Reference Date: 04/17/10
Amount Due: .00
Customer P.O. Number: X
Sales Order Number: X
Customer Number: X
Terms: Credit Card

Sold To: Ship To:
Address Address

________________________________________________________________________________

Item Product Product Description Total Total Unit Extended
Number Ordered Shipped Price Price
003 SHIPPING16EXPEDITED SHIPPING CHARGE 1 1 12.00 12.00

Subtotal 12.00
Tax 0.72
Shipping Charges
TOTAL USD 12.72

Salesperson Contact Entry Date Ship Date Routing
BD 03/12/10 FEDERAL EXPRESS

Your MasterCard xxxxxxxx has been charged $ 12.72
For a total of*********$ 12.72

DunnMaui

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Maui, Hawaii
I don't understand why you would get a shipping invoice . All purchases over $50 at the Apple Store include free shipping - standard or priority. Since the iPad is coming from China they are all being delivered via Fedex with no additional charges.

I still hope this means they are getting ready for shipment :)

Nash Bridges

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco
I don't understand why you would get a shipping invoice . All purchases over $50 at the Apple Store include free shipping - standard or priority. Since the iPad is coming from China they are all being delivered via Fedex with no additional charges.

I agree this seems a bit unusual and there isn't an actual shipping or estimated shipping date on it either.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
i was also invoiced by Apple for the "expedited shipping" charges today. I pre-ordered the iPad 3G on the first day of pre-orders @ about 8:30 am EDT. I have also noticed that my shipping type has changed to "Priority" where it previously read "2-3 day" before.

I think this is the first sign that the version iPad 3G is shipping soon! I don't think they can charge your credit card for shipping unless they are entering package info into their system.:D

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

Apple offered an "expedited" shipping option on pre-orders for the iPad. At the time I ordered my 64GB 3G i figured "What's another $12 on $900+ (3G + case)" and selected this option.

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Wait.

But wouldn't they be REFUNDING you instead of charging you? Everyone's getting "Priority" shipping now. Even people who didn't choose it. So why would they be charging you now?

DunnMaui

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Maui, Hawaii
My order still says 'standard shipping' but then I cancelled the 32GB and went with the 64GB yesterday. Who knows when I'll see mine but I am hopeful that they are starting the shipping process :D :D :D

BlueAwesome

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Wait.

But wouldn't they be REFUNDING you instead of charging you? Everyone's getting "Priority" shipping now. Even people who didn't choose it. So why would they be charging you now?

I preordered mine yesterday and mine still says standard shipping.

NJMacJunky

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Everywhere, yet nowhere.
My shipping says 'Priority' too, but the only email I got was that my AppleCare has been shipped. I figure this MAY be a sign of the 3G shipping since who needs AppleCare without the iPad, right?

sherm41

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
My shipping says 'Priority' too, but the only email I got was that my AppleCare has been shipped. I figure this MAY be a sign of the 3G shipping since who needs AppleCare without the iPad, right?

excuse my "n00bness" but what exactly gets shipped with apple care? i have never bought it before and i was just curious.

soxfanreggie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
excuse my "n00bness" but what exactly gets shipped with apple care? i have never bought it before and i was just curious.

My guess is a nice Apple box with different warranty information inside - the most important thing that could be in there would be your warranty number/code. Maybe some cool Apple stickers!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/298088/

Actually, after a little search, looks like that is what it is, likely with Apple stickers too.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
None of this makes any sense, Posts about shipping updates, credit card charges, etc, etc.

When i placed my order for the 3G model last Friday, i looked at my account online ( used my credit/debit card as credit and checked my bank account ) it showed i was charged for the 3G. I seen a 1.00 fee from apple and then the price of the 32gb 3G taken out.

Now i go there and the charge is gone! lmao...Apple charged me and then reversed it or something....Odd...

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
None of this makes any sense, Posts about shipping updates, credit card charges, etc, etc.

When i placed my order for the 3G model last Friday, i looked at my account online ( used my credit/debit card as credit and checked my bank account ) it showed i was charged for the 3G. I seen a 1.00 fee from apple and then the price of the 32gb 3G taken out.

Now i go there and the charge is gone! lmao...Apple charged me and then reversed it or something....Odd...

the pending charge for the full amount is ensure you have the amount in your card ;)

azilinskas

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Calling BS

When I pre-ordered my iPad 3G, there were no options for expedited shipping and it was free. Why is this individual getting charged?

Also, there is nothing on the page that says what, if anything is being shipped.

I'm hopeful, but I'm not sure this is the real deal. Damn I hope I'm wrong.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
When I pre-ordered my iPad 3G, there were no options for expedited shipping and it was free. Why is this individual getting charged?

This happens with almost every Apple pre-order (10.6, iWork/iLife, iPhone, etc). The store by default offers standard and express shipping for orders. However, for pre-orders Apple ships them all via the same shipping method no matter if you paid for express shipping or not.

Apple removed the express shipping option a few days after pre-orders began because they’re all going to ship via the same method.

This likely happens for two reasons: 1) it’s cheaper for Apple to drop-ship a pallet of products from China, have UPS/FedEx break them off the pallet once they get in the United States and ship them all the same way (FedEx calls this “IP Direct Distribution," not sure what UPS calls it) and 2) it ensures that everyone that pre-ordered gets their product on or around the same day.

With the original Wi-fi only models, Apple also went back and refunded everyone who paid for express shipping. I’m sure they’ll eventually do the same for the 3G models too.

Moral of the story? When you pre-order an Apple product, don’t pay for express shipping.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
This happens with almost every Apple pre-order (10.6, iWork/iLife, iPhone, etc). The store by default offers standard and express shipping for orders. However, for pre-orders Apple ships them all via the same shipping method no matter if you paid for express shipping or not.

Apple removed the express shipping option a few days after pre-orders began because they’re all going to ship via the same method.

This likely happens for two reasons: 1) it’s cheaper for Apple to drop-ship a pallet of products from China, have UPS/FedEx break them off the pallet once they get in the United States and ship them all the same way (FedEx calls this “IP Direct Distribution," not sure what UPS calls it) and 2) it ensures that everyone that pre-ordered gets their product on or around the same day.

With the original Wi-fi only models, Apple also went back and refunded everyone who paid for express shipping. I’m sure they’ll eventually do the same for the 3G models too.

Moral of the story? When you pre-order an Apple product, don’t pay for express shipping.

good info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.