Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mechanical13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
I've been in the market for a MBP for almost 4 months now. Having waited such a long time, I am inclined to wait another month or two and buy it via the back to school promotion.:D

Any news on whether Apple will have their annual back to school promotion this year. Any speculation on when this might start?

It starts the last week of May each year,..correct?:apple::apple:

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
do you have to be in university? Im a middle schooler and i want to get a new MBP also.

mechanical13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Will the ipad be included in the discount?

Any speculation on whether the iPad will be included?

Doesn't Apple typically offloads old inventory during the BTS?

Any history on this?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well i mean, Of course you have to be a student. For example if i want to get a Macbook, students save $100.

Do you get the $100 off as well as the free ipod?

Yes, two years ago I purchased a MBP during the back to school promotion. I got the discount on the MBP plus a "free" 8GB ipod touch. I say "free" because I had to pay up front and then get a rebate.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
I'm so disappointed with the back to school thing- it means I have to buy from Apple instead of Amazon, and pay an extra hundred dollars. Still less money than I would spend on a new iPod, though...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

Any history on this?

yes, pretty much every year the week the promo ends, apple has an event and they release the updated ipods/updated itunes.
I think last year it was on the touch (free 8 gig) if you wanted a larger model you would pay the difference. (Its a mail in rebate kind of thing)

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
what about students who just graduated from college like me? :) I graduate first week of May.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
what about students who just graduated from college like me? :) I graduate first week of May.

Apple is very clear on this, with a valid student ID. My IDs always had a school year specified and with grad school the ID expired 3 years from date of issue.

Any history on this?

No. Question has been asked and answered here before. If you know Apple uses BTS to offload stock of say iPods and possibly printers, then why would you question if the iPad would be included?

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
You're technically SOL. Although considering i just bought my new MBP from the online store with EDU discount and never had to prove my student status...........................

If you read the terms, it states that Apple does audits to make sure you are eligible for the discount. If they find out you're not, they charge the difference to your method of payment.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I'm surprised no one has tried to do the math here.

If you buy from MacConnection now, you can get the base model MBP for $1049 after mail in rebate. No tax (in most states), no shipping.

If you wait to get the free iPod when they run that promotion again, you will pay the education price of $1099, plus tax. If we assume a middle-of-the-road 7% sales tax, that's about $1176 total.

The $1176 you'd pay to Apple minus the $1049 you'd pay to MacConnection now is about $127. iPod Touches retail for $199, but you can oftentimes find them for about $150 with Bing Cash Back.

To me, the $23 one would save isn't worth the extra month of utility of having a working MacBook Pro. The only thing that would maybe make it worth it in my opinion is if you're in one of the few states where MacConnection charges tax. OR if you're one of those on this board who are super concerned with not paying sales tax to online retailers.

Notice that all numbers assume the base model 13", but I think they'd work out about the same way with bigger ones.

stephen

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
If you read the terms, it states that Apple does audits to make sure you are eligible for the discount. If they find out you're not, they charge the difference to your method of payment.

lol be sure to pay cash then! haha

My college Id doesnt have a date of expiration!

hades1223

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
can you combine the back to school promotion along with an employee discount? cause i want the ipod touch and printer also.

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I'm surprised no one has tried to do the math here.

If you buy from MacConnection now, you can get the base model MBP for $1049 after mail in rebate. No tax (in most states), no shipping.

If you wait to get the free iPod when they run that promotion again, you will pay the education price of $1099, plus tax. If we assume a middle-of-the-road 7% sales tax, that's about $1176 total.

The $1176 you'd pay to Apple minus the $1049 you'd pay to MacConnection now is about $127. iPod Touches retail for $199, but you can oftentimes find them for about $150 with Bing Cash Back.

To me, the $23 one would save isn't worth the extra month of utility of having a working MacBook Pro. The only thing that would maybe make it worth it in my opinion is if you're in one of the few states where MacConnection charges tax. OR if you're one of those on this board who are super concerned with not paying sales tax to online retailers.

Notice that all numbers assume the base model 13", but I think they'd work out about the same way with bigger ones.

stephen

I agree with you, but for me, I'm in it for the free printer, too. I know I can order now from Apple and get the free printer, but I might as well wait to get the free iPod, too. Then I'll sell either the new iPod or my old 1G Touch...

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
What about high school students?

I'm not sure about the back to school sale, but the high schools in my area are under the education store/discount. I'm not sure why, or if it even gives you the discount, since our schools have always used Dells...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.