Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
My iPad apps like we rule, school notes pro and others are constant crashing due to lack of memory. WTF apple! Seriously, I can't run anything without a crash.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
My iPad apps like we rule, school notes pro and others are constant crashing due to lack of memory. WTF apple! Seriously, I can't run anything without a crash.

reboot it. sounds like an application is hogging memory / has a memory leak. the os should be able to deal with that but its not perfect. they rushed it out the door and we'll probably see a 3.2.1 or something soon i bet.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Yea it's because of the lack of RAM in the device just reboot and you'll be fine for awhile. It even happens when only using safari. I usually reboot every couple of hours if I'm using the device heavily. You can get an app called pad info in the AppStore and use it to check your free ram.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I was dismayed to see all the app reviews on iTunes that mention crashes. Seemed like almost every other one I read about mentioned persistent crashes. Not a good way to start the 'magic'. The magic may be a disappearing act cause many were deleting the apps out of frustration.

Is this because of Apple's secrecy and developers could not test on actual iPads. Why would Apple allow untested, glitchy apps on their brand new shiny shiny? not a basher here, just concerned about the quality controls. My ebay 16gb is on it's way, so i have no actual experience yet.
any thoughts?

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Yea it's because of the lack of RAM in the device just reboot and you'll be fine for awhile. It even happens when only using safari. I usually reboot every couple of hours if I'm using the device heavily. You can get an app called pad info in the AppStore and use it to check your free ram.
What sites have you gone to that crashed safari? I have not experienced this, just the occasional dropped wifi.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
What sites have you gone to that crashed safari? I have not experienced this, just the occasional dropped wifi.

Happens randomly on sites with alot of pictures or forum threads with alot of pictures. Same thing with the apps most of the ones that crash actually work fine if you reboot the device before playing. It gives better performance as well, Sam n Max can be really laggy if you haven't rebooted in awhile and you start it up but if you reboot first it plays smoothly.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Sounds like application developers who are treating the iPad like a notebook or desktop computer. For years, developers have been able to code willy-nilly without having any concern over memory utilization, for the vast majority of applications.

And, yes, I'm sure that the fact that the developers of the apps that are out there now didn't have access to real hardware - or even know how much RAM the iPad would have - during development. They've been developing on the simulator with essentially unlimited RAM. Now that they've presumably gotten hardware, you can expect improvement in updated versions.

The unfortunate thing is, there are way too few developers with experience in the kind of constraints imposed by iPhone/iPad. iPhone apps, I think, benefited perhaps unintentionally by iPhone's small screen with necessarily limited UIs, and the small RAM of the 2G and 3G models. It forced developers into accepting limitations that they somehow think have magically disappeared with iPad.

Here's something to put this into perspective: when I was in college (just after the last dinosaur died off... or in the mid-70's) our campus computer had 8MB of RAM. (It did, however, have the advantage of virtual memory, which iPad doesn't have.) And that's only because we "cornered the market" in Fairchild solid-state RAM for the IBM 360/67. It typically served 100 or so simultaneous users.

iPad has 32 times as much RAM, and more than 500 times the processor speed (>1000 MIPS for iPad vs. .98 x 2 processors for the dual 360/67's we had) . All to support one user, not an entire campus' academic computing needs. And we have apps crashing because the have "run out of memory".

Even considering the demands of a graphical UI, this suggests that the average skill level of programmers has dropped dramatically in the meantime. :(

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I see the memory error once in a while in we rule only, but it doesn't crash or do anything. I just click ok and continue.

Some apps do crash to desktop, so to speak, usually the media apps, but they start again the next time.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Most developers did not have an iPad to test. iPad is only out for 2 weeks.

A number of developers already released .1 updates, there should be many more to follow.

FYI, when you sync your iPad you'll get asked to whether to submit crash log or not.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I don't own an iPad (yet) but Safari crashes all the time on my iPhone. It's also annoying how much it refreshes pages after I leave them to another 'window'. I'm hoping it's a bit more reliable on the iPad.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Happens randomly on sites with alot of pictures or forum threads with alot of pictures. Same thing with the apps most of the ones that crash actually work fine if you reboot the device before playing. It gives better performance as well, Sam n Max can be really laggy if you haven't rebooted in awhile and you start it up but if you reboot first it plays smoothly.
So as soon as I say it's never happened to me, I was viewing a site with a bunch of pics of the Iceland volcano, and safari crashed. It's all your fault!!!! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.