Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hojobones

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for the heads up, order placed.

Feels nice not to be ripped off just because it says iPad someplace in the title. It shows you how much markup these other companies are making off us.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Thanks for the heads up, order placed.

Feels nice not to be ripped off just because it says iPad someplace in the title. It shows you how much markup these other companies are making off us.

Well, there is a difference in the construction of some of these various sleeves. I've seen this Kensington case. It's nice enough. Good stitching, good design. By comparison, however, the InCase ($40) is fleece lined without any visible seams or stitching on the inside whereas the Kensington netbook case is just the standard nylon lining.

Having said that, I don't think the fleece lining is a big deal. I think the Kensington case would perfectly adequate, and at the price is a much better value than the InCase. For my part, I opted for the Skooba sleeve ($15), mainly because of the external pocket.

78_image.black-400x420.jpg

LKeighty4

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Georgia
I just received the Kensington case. For five bucks I'm not going to complain too much but it's a tight fit for sure. If you lay the case on top of the iPad you can tell the case is smaller than the iPad but since it stretches it does "fit". I bought this to carry around inside a bag and i think its fine for that purpose but if you're looking something with a lot of padding I would go elsewhere

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
....ok, $5.55:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K62911US-Reversible-Sleeve-Netbooks/dp/B001WAK6H4

It's actually a netbook case but Amazon reviews from people using it with the iPad seem positive. I also found it on eBay for $5.49 with free shipping. Just placed my order.....

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one so I have something to protect my iPad, while waiting for the Quirky Cloak or Macally Bookcase to be actually seen by someone and reviewed (are these things ever coming?)

Amazon is charging 5.99 shipping on the 5.55 case-
Here is a better link to buy it with free shipping.

And 6 cents cheaper than Amazon for all the cheapskates! $5.49
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=KN62911

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Kensington

I got the Kensington from Amazon (actually sold by beach camera) for ~$6 free shipping.

Like stated above, it's a tight fit and doesn't offer as much protection as other cases, but it's cheap.

I'm thinking of using it in addition to a hard skin, like the Belkin, if it will fit.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks. Ordered one. $5 was my limit for a temporary one until I see something I want that is actually available (like the the happy owl studios wallet one).

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Ordered. I was wanting something for transport and this looks fantastic. I have a similar one for my macbook pro that it goes into before it put it in my briefcase. This should compliment it perfectly!

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i ordered this from the beachcamera website and got free shipping. $5.49 delivered. Orderd on Sunday, received it Friday.

Overall happy with it. It does fit very snug, but considering the price it's a great deal.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
i ordered this from the beachcamera website and got free shipping. $5.49 delivered. Orderd on Sunday, received it Friday.

Overall happy with it. It does fit very snug, but considering the price it's a great deal.

agreed- great deal on a case that, i feel, fits very well.
Snug? Yes. But I don't want an iPad flopping around in a case.

This really fits like a glove.

The problem is that what do I do with it when I get a folio type case or a macally bookstand? I hate wasting an item.

Betsy30

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
The problem is that what do I do with it when I get a folio type case or a macally bookstand? I hate wasting an item.

Yeah, I bought it too, and had the same question. I also ordered a Macally Bookstand. As it turns out, that one should be here by Friday. But I was beginning to think it wouldn't and was glad to have a backup.

I'll keep it for a backup. Maybe I'll hate the Bookstand and send it back and take my time finding a replacement. Maybe the Bookstand will break. Maybe I'll just find another use for the Kensington. For $5, I'm not sweating it.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
For my part, I opted for the Skooba sleeve ($15), mainly because of the external pocket.

Have you received yours yet? I read some of the reviews on Amazon that mentioned that it was a very tight fit. I like the idea of the pocket too, but not if it is so tight that I can't use the pocket.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Yeah, I bought it too, and had the same question. I also ordered a Macally Bookstand. As it turns out, that one should be here by Friday. But I was beginning to think it wouldn't and was glad to have a backup.

I'll keep it for a backup. Maybe I'll hate the Bookstand and send it back and take my time finding a replacement. Maybe the Bookstand will break. Maybe I'll just find another use for the Kensington. For $5, I'm not sweating it.

Can you please post your thoughts on the Bookstand when you get it?

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
excuse the crap pics. my 3gs camera is being washed out by the bright lights i think.

U53HO.jpg

g9D4g.jpg

Q8W4t.jpg

the sleeve is actually SMALLER than the ipad. i thought it was going to be a pain to get it inside, but it stretches very easily and fits very comfortably.

there's still enough stretch room in there to put a microfiber cloth too, thank god, i can't use my ipad for more than an hour without wiping it down. i bet i can get the USB cable in there too but it would definitely leave a bulge.

overall, for 5 bucks this things is AWESOME. well built, well fitted and will work great in my computer bag.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Have you received yours yet? I read some of the reviews on Amazon that mentioned that it was a very tight fit. I like the idea of the pocket too, but not if it is so tight that I can't use the pocket.

The Skooba is slightly larger than the Kensington. As mentioned, they both stretch easily. What's a little annoying is that the Kensington, being shorter, is harder to get the iPad out because the the top has to be flipped over instead of unzipped. Having said that, I'm OK with the Kensington. The pocket of the Skooba is fine for cables and headphones, but I put the back of the iPad against the pocket, not the glass screen. I wouldn't put a charger brick in there.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
My Kensington came yesterday. I am mystified by those who say it's a tight fit. It is pretty much an exact fit. The iPad slips in easily. The top does have to stretch to go over the end, but that too seems pretty easy to me. Great for $5.49. Mine came from Beach Camera via eBay - $5.49 with free shipping. Shipping was fast too.

If you want pockets to carry other stuff, this isn't for you, though. It's just a cover for the iPad.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
iFerd said:
My Kensington came yesterday. I am mystified by those who say it's a tight fit. It is pretty much an exact fit. The iPad slips in easily. The top does have to stretch to go over the end, but that too seems pretty easy to me. Great for $5.49. Mine came from Beach Camera via eBay - $5.49 with free shipping. Shipping was fast too.

If you want pockets to carry other stuff, this isn't for you, though. It's just a cover for the iPad.

+1
the bag is perfect considering the price. It's a snug fit and is an effective cover for the iPad. I use this to protect it as it sits in my laptop bag. I slip my micro fiber cloth inside.

The Beach Camera deal was too good to pass up.

Betsy30

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Can you please post your thoughts on the Bookstand when you get it?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I like the Bookstand very much. I don't see the alignment problem on the top that some have mentioned. However, I don't actually have an iPad (yet!), so it may look different with an actual device in it. I kinda doubt it, though.

My only reservation right now is it doesn't seem to stand in any position very well. I'm hoping and assuming that the weight of the device gives it stability.

I'll try to remember to post an update after the iPad shows up, but I may be a little busy. ;)

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
does Apple iPad case fit in Kensington sleeve?

Anyone with the Kensington Sleeve also have an Apple iPad case?

Does the Apple in the iPad case fit in this sleeve?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Anyone with the Kensington Sleeve also have an Apple iPad case?

Does the Apple in the iPad case fit in this sleeve?
the kensington bad is just large enough to get around the iPad naked. Any extra bulk like the TPU cases make it too bulky and sticks to the inside of the bag as you try to push it in.

thanky0ujesus

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Don't buy from Beach Camera. Worst customer service ever. Supposedly 6 days for shipping, I gave them 2 weeks and hadn't received it. Didn't even get a tracking number. I emailed them about it and they said the USPS lost the shipment (oh, really??). I emailed back asking politely if they could offer faster shipping and they said that was not possible and would take 7-10 days for me to receive it. Horrible customer service. It doesn't matter if my order was $5 or $500, good customer service should accommodate any customer.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
the kensington bad is just large enough to get around the iPad naked. Any extra bulk like the TPU cases make it too bulky and sticks to the inside of the bag as you try to push it in.

That would be my assumption. Thanks for the confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.