Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
If I remember right there was something different on the cooling of the 3.2GHz 150W TDP systems compared to the 2.8GHz and 3.0GHz. Not sure if it will matter or not.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If I remember right there was something different on the cooling of the 3.2GHz 150W TDP systems compared to the 2.8GHz and 3.0GHz. Not sure if it will matter or not.

IIRC there's something about different part numbers for the motherboard and heatsinks for the 3.2 as compared to the 3.0 and the 2.8. I would check the max specs on the 2.8 mobo for TDP - other then that, the OP might have to use a fan controller for temps. I don't think its that large of an issue personally, but I could be wrong (though I still recommend fan-controlling-software in this case).

EDIT - I'm wrong, read on.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
IIRC there's something about different part numbers for the motherboard and heatsinks for the 3.2 as compared to the 3.0 and the 2.8. I would check the max specs on the 2.8 mobo for TDP - other then that, the OP might have to use a fan controller for temps. I don't think its that large of an issue personally, but I could be wrong (though I still recommend fan-controlling-software in this case).

And replace the fans and thermal paste with something better than stock ones to get a lot more efficient cooling.

Also, depending on what GPU(s) he has, but dual 150Ws are pretty power hungry too, especially when compared to 2.8GHz which are 80W

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong

The standard 2.8 is 80 watts but 3.4 is 150 watts, I afraid the heat sink can't afford.

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
And replace the fans and thermal paste with something better than stock ones to get a lot more efficient cooling.

Also, depending on what GPU(s) he has, but dual 150Ws are pretty power hungry too, especially when compared to 2.8GHz which are 80W

My GPU is GTX285 (EVGA Mac version )

I just want using this MP more that 2 years, so I think CPU will heavy load in future.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
My GPU is GTX285 (EVGA Mac version )

I just want using this MP more that 2 years, so I think CPU will heavy load in future.

Well, 2.8GHz 8-core is very fast already. For the price you pay for 2 x X5492, you could buy a new Mac Pro, as they are/were 1500$ each.

2x150W is too hot I think, especially because it's designed for 2x80W, so it'd be almost two times hotter.

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
Well, 2.8GHz 8-core is very fast already. For the price you pay for 2 x X5492, you could buy a new Mac Pro, as they are/were 1500$ each.

2x150W is too hot I think, especially because it's designed for 2x80W, so it'd be almost two times hotter.

Thank's your advice, so if I want keep the MP, so upgrade the HD will better ?
SSD is to expensive and less space.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Thank's your advice, so if I want keep the MP, so upgrade the HD will better ?
SSD is to expensive and less space.

SSDs are the most popular upgrade for a better computing experience at the moment, and for good reason. They don't need to be huge in size, 80GB is more than enough to store the OS and your main applications.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
My Mac Pro is 2 * 2.8, may I know can I upgrade to X5492 ( 3.4Ghz ) ?
NO.

Another member, Spacedust, has already tried them, and discovered that they won't work due to the different steppings used.

What he discovered is, models with A in the 3rd position use C0 steppings and will function, such as SLANT (E5462 used in the base model). But if it has a B (E0 stepping), then it won't, and X5492 = SLBBD.

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
NO.

Another member, Spacedust, has already tried them, and discovered that they won't work due to the different steppings used.

What he discovered is, models with A in the 3rd position use C0 steppings and will function, such as SLANT (E5462 used in the base model). But if it has a B (E0 stepping), then it won't, and X5492 = SLBBD.
Thank your information, after I check in Intel, the faster CPU on SLANx is X5482 it is 3.2GHZ
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33088&processor=X5482&spec-codes=SLANZ,SLBBG
So I think the faster CPU I can is X5482 only.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
My Mac Pro is 2 * 2.8, may I know can I upgrade to X5492 ( 3.4Ghz ) ?

X5492 will not work ! Mac Pro 2008 is doesn't support SLB** steppings. Don't buy it ! X5482 is max and it will work (confirmed on hexus.net).

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thank your information, after I check in Intel, the faster CPU on SLANx is X5482 it is 3.2GHZ
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33088&processor=X5482&spec-codes=SLANZ,SLBBG
So I think the faster CPU I can is X5482 only.
It is, but with one stipulation: the SLANZ version ONLY, and it's listed as a Discontinued/Retired part on Intel's site (SLBBG is still in production, and what you're more likely to find, but it's the wrong stepping).

So you'd be looking at either a leftover to get the correct version (been sitting on a shelf somewhere) or used (if you're patient, you might spot a couple on ebay at a good price, but they're in demand for what you're trying to do).

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
It is, but with one stipulation: the SLANZ version ONLY, and it's listed as a Discontinued/Retired part on Intel's site (SLBBG is still in production, and what you're more likely to find, but it's the wrong stepping).

So you'd be looking at either a leftover to get the correct version (been sitting on a shelf somewhere) or used (if you're patient, you might spot a couple on ebay at a good price, but they're in demand for what you're trying to do).

I know, so I think I need find them in 2 hand market.

vicentk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
:cool: I was just hoping to make sure, so you didn't end up making a mistake (increased difficulty at best, and rather expensive worst case. ;)

My home is in Hong Kong, so I found the 2 hand market in China, after few days I found some ES model, do you think will them fit my case ?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
My home is in Hong Kong, so I found the 2 hand market in China, after few days I found some ES model, do you think will them fit my case ?
ES = Engineering Samples. So long as they're the right models (family, steppings, and of course socket), they'll drop in just fine.

Ideally, it's best to avoid ES, but some have done it, and apparently with no ill effects (but who knows how hard they were run during the initial testing).

MacPhotog

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
Looking to upgrade early '08 Mac Pro... E 0 steppings... will they work?

I have an early '08 Mac Pro that came with one E5462 2.8GHz Xeon processor. I would like to upgrade the processors as much as possible.

As far as I can tell from my own research as well as the information on this thread, the best processors I can put in the machine are the Xeon X5482 3.2GHz chips.

I found a pair of them on eBay, but the seller says the steppings are "E 0 steppings". The seller describes the chips as "Intel Xeon Quad Core X5482 E S"... which sounds like they were Engineering Samples... I'm okay with that, but what about the "E 0" steppings? Will they work in the Mac Pro?

Thanks so much if anybody can answer this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.