Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I got a free iTunes download of The Dark Knight when I bought the DVD. It looks great on the Videos app on iPad with the title, rating, studio date, summary, actors/diretors, etc.

Is it possible to replicate this on ripped DVDs? I ripped Batman Begins with Handbrake and imported it into iTunes. I want to add Actors/Crew & name the chapters so it looks more like an official iTunes movie. Anyway I can do this?

The Dark Knight example (iTunes movie)

Batman Begins (ripped DVD)

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
In iTunes right click on the movie, and select Get Info. You can then see all the tabs to update the info. Good luck.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'd like to know this too as it isn't obvious where to enter the metadata to populate this kind of detail. I have gone through and edited mine but I get the same truncated text in my description too.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
I've tried already, and basically all you can add is the cover art, a little bit of a description, the year, and genre. That's it.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Yes it's possible. Look for a program called Subler. There you can edit your metadata to make it look like iTunes.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
In iTunes right click on the movie, and select Get Info. You can then see all the tabs to update the info. Good luck.
Thanks, I did that to get the summary of the movie, but it doesn't have fields for actors/crew, etc.

Yes it's possible. Look for a program called Subler. There you can edit your metadata to make it look like iTunes.

Awesome, I'll check it out now. Thanks!

Gib

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010

Does Subler have an option to auto-populate these fields (via IMDB, Amazon, etc.), or is it just show you the field and you have to add the details manually?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
MetaX or Vidilin

Try MetaX or Vidilin. These two apps write the metadata to the video file. If I recall correctly, iTunes just writes the metadata to the iTunes library file and you'll lose all the data that you input if you copy the file to another iTunes library.

Plus MetaX checks IMDB and tagchimp while Vidilin retrieves the data from Netflix, TagChimp, and some others. These apps automatically retrieve the movie info and poster artwork. The only drawback is that they rewrite the entire movie file so each film takes a few minutes.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008

Subler did the trick, thanks!

And thanks to everyone who recommended Metax & Vidalin. A more automated way of doing this will be even better!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Does Subler have an option to auto-populate these fields (via IMDB, Amazon, etc.), or is it just show you the field and you have to add the details manually?

Subler has a search function (button with magnifying glass in upper right corner) that pulls from TagChimp. If you like what is provided, you click Add and it will populate those fields in Subler. Only thing I don't like about it is you can't preview the Cover art for the listing--not a big deal as it's very easy to replace it before saving.

That's one of the things I couldn't get to work. Chapter titles didn't work either.

I haven't used it yet but I believe you can edit chapter titles in Subler. For DVDs I input them into Handbrake before running the transcode but as I'm now onto blu-rays with no way to natively play them back (external BD drive connected to my Mac only) and thus no way to see the chapter title names, I either rely on existing db entries in MetaX or just go without.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
For me, MetaX is much faster at writing the tags in Windows than on a Mac. Subler is about as fast on a Mac as MetaX is on Windows, but I've been needing to use both programs... Subler because you can edit the audio track names, and MetaX for its speed.

MacVDS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Philomath Oregeon
That's one of the things I couldn't get to work. Chapter titles didn't work either.

If you rip a movie with Handbrake, it saves the chapters list but doesn't populate the chapter titles for you. If you load the ripped movie into MetaX it will look for movie details, artwork and chapter title info. I've found you get the best tag info if you type in the search box the actual movie name (removing any dashes and extra characters the ripper added to the title) then you start getting "red tags" that more often than not give you chapter titles and better movie info descriptions etc. The best artwork can be found at http://getvideoartwork.com/ and can be loaded in MetaX as a replacement.
Hope that helps.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Theres a really nice set of scripts to rip, encode and tag movies over on the Apple TV Forum.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

The tagging works great on movies, haven't had a ton of luck with the TV shows.

+1

This set of scripts and Services makes the whole process painless and very speedy. I encoded "Ocean's 11" yesterday and was watching it on my ATV within 2 hours of sliding the DVD into my Mini....including ripping, pulling up tag info and encoding.

I saw the movie at Best Buy for $4.99 and asked myself...how could I NOT buy it. LOL

DataThief

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Somewere in Washington State
I use Metax myself, but big problem is that the author has basically given up on the program, it no longer updates from tagchimp because they changed their database (or something like that) and metax's author is not updating anymore.

It still works but you need to enter the data manually.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
One thing that took me a while to figure out was chapters. MetaX (not sure about Subler) can only put in chapter titles if the movie file has chapter markers in it already. If you rip using Handbrake, make sure that chapter markers are enabled, and make sure you have the correct number of chapters (a lot of movies have an extra chapter at the end). Once the chapter markers are in the file, MetaX can fill in the correct names for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.