Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Hello everyone! I was able to get a MacAlly Bookstand for iPad this morning thanks to my local MacMall having them in stock.

I don't have a full review necessarily, mainly because I just got it. I will be updating this thread with my impressions along the way, and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Few things
: The latch is technically on the back of the case. It's hard to describe, but you'll understand once you look at the pics. Also, the micro suede leather used actually feels much nicer then I thought it would. The iPad is held in with 4 little round corners. They don't snap in, per say, but use some sort of friction to keel the iPad in place. Bottom line, I don't feel like the iPad would fall out.

Finally, pictures:
I will post a pic of a small res version and if anyone would like higher res photos, just let me know.

Bookstand_small1.jpg

Bookstand_small2.jpg

Bookstand_small3.jpg

Bookstand_small4.jpg

Bookstand_small5.jpg

Bookstand_small6.jpg

Bookstand_small7.jpg

Bookstand_small8.jpg

Bookstand_small9.jpg

Bookstand_small10.jpg

Bookstand_small11.jpg

Bookstand_small12.jpg

Bookstand_small13.jpg

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Wow that looks really great, I love how thin it looms and hot it doesn't cover any of the bezel. How much did you get it for at MacMall?

Also, the back looks rounded to match the curvature of the iPad, right? That's how it looks in the pictures.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
That looks fantastic.

How does it work when the flap is fully folded back? Specifically does the 'latch' stick out several inches?

And also I'm assuming this is pretty painless to remove/put back?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Thanks for the review and great pics!

How does the ipad stay in place? Does it click in and is it easy to get out?

Is the buckle in the way if you have the page folded back all the way to the back?

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Bahh I should have ordered this when an amazon reseller had 3 left. Looks very nice

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Cool! How much thicker is this compared to the Apple case? Can you type on it using the incline and post your thoughts?

Also how "hard" is the cover over the screen? I'm asking cause I wonder if this is safe to put your iPad and this case in your backpack?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
That looks fantastic.

How does it work when the flap is fully folded back? Specifically does the 'latch' stick out several inches?

And also I'm assuming this is pretty painless to remove/put back?

Also curious on how this case is folded back.

The only other question I have about this case is if it will work with the dock or keyboard. Unlike the Apple case, the ports are completely unobstructed and the thin profile may allow it to work. If you happen to have either the dock or keyboard please let us know. If not, i'll test out when I get mine in.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
While i think this is the best looking case yet, does anyone have any idea if these are truly protective? If i dropped my ipad from four feet up while it was in this case, would the screen break or is this good enough for light spills?

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
This is nice. I'd like to join the rest of the folks wondering if the tab gets in the way when the case is folded all the way back.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Looks really nice. Thank you for the pictures. Glad I ordered one. For those looking to order one still, http://www.mygearstore.com has them in stock right now for full retail price, but you get free shipping. Also if you use one of those 10% coupon codes like "itsmemorphious", you will get about 5$ off.

I wish I had ordered from the Amazon reseller as well. That was a good deal. Oh well. :p

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Also for the OP, it looks like you have a screen shield on your iPad. Which one did you use? Just curious. I just ordered a Steinheil anti-glare since I just realized I have some scratches on my screen today.:eek: No idea how that happened. Oh well. Guess I need to get a screen protector after all.

adster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm away for the day but wanted to let everyone know that I will answer everyone questions when I get home this evening.

Ask away :)

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Looks sweet. I ordered one yesterday from provantage.com which showed many in stock. Hope to get it soon, especially after these pics.

Rbrb1

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks so much for the pics! I am thinking that this case might be perfect. I happen to really like how thin the Apple case is and also really love the Apple case's typing angle when in portrait (the 2" lift in the back). I'm really curious as to whether the Macnally does Apple one better. Is the lift in the back as good? Does the material feel better than the Apple case and does it seem like it would keep clean. My one concern is that the Apple case seems like it would provide some drop protection with the edging -- the Macnally looks like it might fall out if dropped or at least not provide any edge protection. Am I wrong about that? I hope I am wrong because this case really looks great!

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
thanks for answering questions.

how is the case in keyboard (landscape) mode? is it sturdy? will it stand up to repeated hard typing? so far the apple case is the only thing I've found that actually stays standing.

that would he the deal maker or breaker for me.

let me know!

Crackbone

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the pics man.

Now, I'm pretty pumped to get mine. My only reservation is the strap. Let me know if that's an annoyance.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I guess I got lucky to get one of the last ones still in stock, kind of excited for this case. Seems like it will be better overall compared to the apple case. The fact that it latches closed will probably help with added protection from drops and the ipad falling out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.