Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks

Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

ATT USB Air Card and Tethering on iPhone???

Ok, here is the deal, I get an air card from my company,and I was about to go and get me a CLRADLEPOINT PHS300 PERSONAL WIFI HOTSPOT - 3G/4G since it would allow me to use my USB air card with WI FI on the iPad and my MacBook Pro, (I plan on getting a 3g iPad, and my wife already has a WI FI iPad) but the point of doing this is to have an option while on the go since we have internet in the house...

I also have a first generation iPhone (jailbroken) and I'm wondering if I can just transfer the SIM card into it and get MyFi (Or whatever the app is called)
Now, I know that ATT can see on their system what device is been used at the time, and I really need to be sure that the account will not be charged for whatever ATT may want to charge me for.

THe good point of using the iPhone (With MyFi or whatever the app is called) is that it is way more portable than the cradlepoint with the USB air card.

BTW, at the risk of been called crazy here, but I use a Blackberry 9700 and I really don't want to switch back to an iPhone...
romeo.xk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2
rtfulk
macrumors newbie

Have you looked at the Novatel Mifi 2372? It's about the size of a business card just a little thicker. You just pop your AT&T sim card in and you are ready to go.

Randy
rtfulk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

That MiFi is very cool, and just what I was looking for, I hadn't seen that one before, thank you!

But if any one knows more about the rules for the 3G data plan, and if I would be ok by using it on the iPhone, and not on the air card I would appreciate it, I have no problem on buying the MiFi, but if I can save the $$$ then I would have more for other toys....
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Turbo89
macrumors newbie

can I get a 3g go-phone and use the SIM from it in the myfi? Just use it as a prepaid device?
Turbo89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:53 PM   #5
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

Any chance that anyone can confirm if there would be any problem or possibly a charge from using a sim card from a USB air card in an iPhone with MyWi??
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
otis123
macrumors 6502a

Newegg is having a sale on cradlepoint stuff right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-455-_-Product

I just might get this, and it comes with a car charger for the iPad. I have a USB laptop connect card so this will be perfect.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

I was about to get the PSP300 http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/...i-hotspot-3g4g Since it is battery operated, but if I can get away without paying the money since I have a 2g iPhone I would prefer to do that... As long as there wont be any funny charges to the to the account for the USB air card...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:46 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Why don't you just ask AT&T? It's not like you could put one over on them.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:12 AM   #9
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

Thank you for your suggestion, I do plan on calling them and ask, but honestly, I don't really trust what they say all the time, and that is why I'm trying to get some real word feedback on this...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:05 PM   #10
romeo.xk
macrumors 6502

Thumbs down ATT is starting to pi$$ me off !!!!!!!

Well, I just got off the phone after talking to ATT, and what they are telling me is that if I put my SIM card in the iPhone, that will mess up the service, and maybe even the SIM card it self... And honestly, I think that is just pure BS! And that is what I told them, now, the funny thing is that they are saying that even using a novatel 2372 can be a problem... The way I see it, they are just making things more difficult than what it is, while not even offering a WiFi device as every other wireless company...

I think that what I will try at first is to use the SIM card from my blacberry a few times, and see what happens, if everything looks good after the bill comes out, I might just transfer the SIM from the air card to the iPhone and hope I don't get in trouble...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:57 PM   #11
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo.xk View Post
Well, I just got off the phone after talking to ATT, and what they are telling me is that if I put my SIM card in the iPhone, that will mess up the service, and maybe even the SIM card it self... And honestly, I think that is just pure BS! And that is what I told them, now, the funny thing is that they are saying that even using a novatel 2372 can be a problem... The way I see it, they are just making things more difficult than what it is, while not even offering a WiFi device as every other wireless company...

I think that what I will try at first is to use the SIM card from my blacberry a few times, and see what happens, if everything looks good after the bill comes out, I might just transfer the SIM from the air card to the iPhone and hope I don't get in trouble...
I use my AT&T Option Quicksilver in a cradlepoint PHS300 all the time and it has never affected my service or monthly bill. As far as AT&T is concerned its the same as if I plugged it in to my laptop, its still being used for only data and its still the same device that the SIM is registered to.

Plugging a SIM in to Novatel 2372 could cause some issues, your Sim is registered to a device. That device is a Option Quicksilver for instance in my case, not a novatel device, I can see where that has the possibility to lead to errors on the network and possibly your bill.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:06 AM   #12
HD Fboy
macrumors member

I have a Cradlepoint MBR1000. I have had it for 3 years. I use it every time I travel with others. We have even set it up in the car on a business trip with an inverter once. It is not real small but does fit in one of my zippered Tom Bhin mesh bags. When the cell service is poor in an area I can use the MBR1000 and a USB extender cable to place the cell card high in an window and relay the signal to my laptop. It has been 1/2 way around the world, beat to hell and just keeps working. If it died I would order another one right off. There is not enough positive things I can say about this router.
HD Fboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks