Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1
TDPHunter
macrumors member

iPad Died

Well, I was on a flight home yesterday and was listening to music and reading a book on my ipad. I had to go to the bathroom so I touched the top right corner of the pad to put it to sleep. I stuck it in my bag and did my business. However, when I came back, to my dismay.. my ipad no longer worked and I figured I didn't keep an eye on the battery and it had died. Well, Its been plugged into the wall outlet for over 8 hours and still won't turn on. I'm going to call apple today and take it in.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? It does make for a beautiful paperweight, I do have to say : P
TDPHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPHunter View Post
Well, I was on a flight home yesterday and was listening to music and reading a book on my ipad. I had to go to the bathroom so I touched the top right corner of the pad to put it to sleep. I stuck it in my bag and did my business. However, when I came back, to my dismay.. my ipad no longer worked and I figured I didn't keep an eye on the battery and it had died. Well, Its been plugged into the wall outlet for over 8 hours and still won't turn on. I'm going to call apple today and take it in.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? It does make for a beautiful paperweight, I do have to say : P

You have reached the limit of use on iPad; however we can not release how much use is allowed on iPad.

JK, sorry to hear of your misfortune- they will replace it, good luck finding stock though.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

Did you try to press and hold the power/sleep button and press the home button at the same time?

Hold it for 3-5 sec. The apple logo should appear.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Telp
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Telp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt T View Post
Did you try to press and hold the power/sleep button and press the home button at the same time?

Hold it for 3-5 sec. The apple logo should appear.
Yeah also, does your computer recognize it at all?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
CalebA
Banned

I hope you didn't get a dud. You should be able to take it back even if it's past 14 days and exchange it for another one.

It'd be nice if Walmart sold them. They'll let you take stuff back up to 90 days for the store near me!
CalebA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #6
TDPHunter
macrumors member

Hmm

Yeah, I've tried everything. Holding down both buttons and just the top right one. I tried plugging it into my macbook pro and it wouldn't pick it up at all.

The device was awesome and Ill probably continue to use it if I can get it switched out. However, I wouldn't mind them giving me a complimentary 3G version for my frustration : P.
TDPHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:14 AM   #7
caubeck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried everything. Holding down both buttons and just the top right one. I tried plugging it into my macbook pro and it wouldn't pick it up at all.

The device was awesome and Ill probably continue to use it if I can get it switched out. However, I wouldn't mind them giving me a complimentary 3G version for my frustration : P.
I've had a lot of people asking me why their iPhone has died, only to restore it miraculously to life by pressing those buttons together for up to 20 seconds and sometimes while it's plugged in. But if you're really sure...
caubeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Tech-Boy
macrumors regular

Hold both buttons for 20seconds at least. If that doesn't work, Hold the home button and while holding it plug in the cable connected to a computer keep holding another 3-15 seconds until the computer recognize's it.
Tech-Boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:32 AM   #9
mklnk
macrumors regular

Did you blow into the cartridge? Or try hitting reset a few times?
mklnk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:33 AM   #10
sammy2066
macrumors 6502

Take it back *after* the 3G model releases ... and make a huge scene at the Apple Store.
sammy2066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:20 PM   #11
rmw94
macrumors newbie

ditto

iPad died yesterday while watching video. Still had 67% battery life, and I tried to recharge overnight. Also held both buttons for 30 seconds and still didn't work. Apple customer service said to take to retail store to check it out. Unfortunately, they don't have my 32GB in stock. Really sucks...
rmw94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #12
JaredStrauss
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw94 View Post
iPad died yesterday while watching video. Still had 67% battery life, and I tried to recharge overnight. Also held both buttons for 30 seconds and still didn't work. Apple customer service said to take to retail store to check it out. Unfortunately, they don't have my 32GB in stock. Really sucks...
They probably have replacement ones in stock. You won't get a new box cable etc. just a new iPad
JaredStrauss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:24 PM   #13
CalMin
macrumors 6502

I think I'm getting AppleCare.
15" MacBook Pro w. Retina Display - 2.3ghz Quad i7 / 256GB SSD / 8GB
CalMin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be worried about this becoming a widespread issue, with Apple's history, asidde from the Apple III. I feel bad that anyone has to go through this, but I think if you go by the Apple store all will be fine.
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:49 PM   #15
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

this is the second thread in the last few days ive seen like this.....makes me nervous. I think ill add apple care.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:50 PM   #16
goobot
macrumors 601

Happened to my 3G iPhone yestarday. Make sure it's on(slide to unlock and see if you can hear it.) if so just hold both home and power for like a min then boom rebooted fine
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 AM   #17
qtx43
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
this is the second thread in the last few days ive seen like this.....makes me nervous. I think ill add apple care.
You know you have a year warranty and 90 days phone support before you have to consider buying apple care. I assume you haven't had the iPad 90 days yet
qtx43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:03 AM   #18
Zepaw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Zepaw
Tried having a panic attack, maybe throwing it a couple times?

Have an Apple store near by? Genius Bar can be super awesome.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #19
jrpettit
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Me too, but it came back...

Just now, while out of town for business, I set down my iPad and turned it off with the top black button. It's still early so the charge was at 99%+. I went to turn it on and nothing. Tried again, nothing. Tried on button and top off (like powering down or powering on) and nothing.

Panic. Searched Google, found these posts. Plugged in my charger and held both on and top black button for about 20-30 seconds. Voila! It seems to work again. Panic has now gone away for now.

Thanks for comments. It led to recovery.
jrpettit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Karnivore
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thank you for not describing your "business" in detail
Karnivore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:36 AM   #21
tkhiem
macrumors newbie

black out :(.

Ok, so this is the story for my 5-days new iPad .

A few days after jailbreaking it, it worked like charm. However, in the last 1 or 2 days, it started to be off unreasonably . Like, after putting it to sleep, 4 or 10 minutes later, I can't turn it on. All the buttons were tried and nothing came up.

I put it to DFU, and iTune picked it up and asked me to restore it. In the middle of restoring, the error message 1600 came up and said the process was abandoned. I unplugged the cable and it just turned on normally.

Today, (it's quite cold, about 8 or 10 degrees), it just did the same thing like what I was saying above: off unreasonably, can't turn on anything. but this time i did not plug it into iTunes cos I was outside. What I did was waiting about 5 or 10 minutes later after it turning black, turned it on again, and it's on. After 5 mintues, it's just off again. And the whole thing just kept repeating .

I am worried cos it just a few day off the store . Im wondering should I try restoring it and jb it again?

Thanks, guys
tkhiem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:47 AM   #22
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

You sure your wall charger is working?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:53 AM   #23
spinstorm
macrumors 65816

Nothing to worry about.

If a restore doesn't fix it just go to an Apple store and they will replace it. Or if it's only a few days old get a refund and buy another.

The beauty of Apple is that they replace faulty products right away.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:15 AM   #24
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Try calling it "Pamela" and administering CPR.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:19 AM   #25
jaycee520
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jaycee520
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
You have reached the limit of use on iPad; however we can not release how much use is allowed on iPad.

JK, sorry to hear of your misfortune- they will replace it, good luck finding stock though.
Apple stores always have stock for replacements...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad