Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDPHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Orlando, FL
Well, I was on a flight home yesterday and was listening to music and reading a book on my ipad. I had to go to the bathroom so I touched the top right corner of the pad to put it to sleep. I stuck it in my bag and did my business. However, when I came back, to my dismay.. my ipad no longer worked and I figured I didn't keep an eye on the battery and it had died. Well, Its been plugged into the wall outlet for over 8 hours and still won't turn on. I'm going to call apple today and take it in.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? It does make for a beautiful paperweight, I do have to say : P

liamhemsworth

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Perhaps you got a dud (?). Yes, even Apple can make a dud product from a large batch of an exact product.

You give me pause for thought for when you're on a plane and have to leave it to use the facilities. I don't know easy it is for someone to pinch one, but I'd hate to leave it even for a minute. Same thing with any laptop or netbook.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Well, I was on a flight home yesterday and was listening to music and reading a book on my ipad. I had to go to the bathroom so I touched the top right corner of the pad to put it to sleep. I stuck it in my bag and did my business. However, when I came back, to my dismay.. my ipad no longer worked and I figured I didn't keep an eye on the battery and it had died. Well, Its been plugged into the wall outlet for over 8 hours and still won't turn on. I'm going to call apple today and take it in.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? It does make for a beautiful paperweight, I do have to say : P

You have reached the limit of use on iPad; however we can not release how much use is allowed on iPad.

JK, sorry to hear of your misfortune- they will replace it, good luck finding stock though.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Did you try to press and hold the power/sleep button and press the home button at the same time?

Hold it for 3-5 sec. The apple logo should appear.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Did you try to press and hold the power/sleep button and press the home button at the same time?

Hold it for 3-5 sec. The apple logo should appear.

Yeah also, does your computer recognize it at all?

CalebA

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I hope you didn't get a dud. You should be able to take it back even if it's past 14 days and exchange it for another one.

It'd be nice if Walmart sold them. They'll let you take stuff back up to 90 days for the store near me!

TDPHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Orlando, FL
Hmm

Yeah, I've tried everything. Holding down both buttons and just the top right one. I tried plugging it into my macbook pro and it wouldn't pick it up at all.

The device was awesome and Ill probably continue to use it if I can get it switched out. However, I wouldn't mind them giving me a complimentary 3G version for my frustration : P.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, I've tried everything. Holding down both buttons and just the top right one. I tried plugging it into my macbook pro and it wouldn't pick it up at all.

The device was awesome and Ill probably continue to use it if I can get it switched out. However, I wouldn't mind them giving me a complimentary 3G version for my frustration : P.

I've had a lot of people asking me why their iPhone has died, only to restore it miraculously to life by pressing those buttons together for up to 20 seconds and sometimes while it's plugged in. But if you're really sure...

Tech-Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Hold both buttons for 20seconds at least. If that doesn't work, Hold the home button and while holding it plug in the cable connected to a computer keep holding another 3-15 seconds until the computer recognize's it.

rmw94

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
ditto

iPad died yesterday while watching video. Still had 67% battery life, and I tried to recharge overnight. Also held both buttons for 30 seconds and still didn't work. Apple customer service said to take to retail store to check it out. Unfortunately, they don't have my 32GB in stock. Really sucks...

JaredStrauss

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
iPad died yesterday while watching video. Still had 67% battery life, and I tried to recharge overnight. Also held both buttons for 30 seconds and still didn't work. Apple customer service said to take to retail store to check it out. Unfortunately, they don't have my 32GB in stock. Really sucks...

They probably have replacement ones in stock. You won't get a new box cable etc. just a new iPad

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I wouldn't be worried about this becoming a widespread issue, with Apple's history, asidde from the Apple III. I feel bad that anyone has to go through this, but I think if you go by the Apple store all will be fine.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
this is the second thread in the last few days ive seen like this.....makes me nervous. I think ill add apple care.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Happened to my 3G iPhone yestarday. Make sure it's on(slide to unlock and see if you can hear it.) if so just hold both home and power for like a min then boom rebooted fine

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
this is the second thread in the last few days ive seen like this.....makes me nervous. I think ill add apple care.
You know you have a year warranty and 90 days phone support before you have to consider buying apple care. I assume you haven't had the iPad 90 days yet :)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Tried having a panic attack, maybe throwing it a couple times?

Have an Apple store near by? Genius Bar can be super awesome.

jrpettit

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Me too, but it came back...

Just now, while out of town for business, I set down my iPad and turned it off with the top black button. It's still early so the charge was at 99%+. I went to turn it on and nothing. Tried again, nothing. Tried on button and top off (like powering down or powering on) and nothing.

Panic. Searched Google, found these posts. Plugged in my charger and held both on and top black button for about 20-30 seconds. Voila! It seems to work again. Panic has now gone away for now.

Thanks for comments. It led to recovery.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010

Thank you for not describing your "business" in detail :D

tkhiem

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
black out :(.

Ok, so this is the story for my 5-days new iPad :(.

A few days after jailbreaking it, it worked like charm. However, in the last 1 or 2 days, it started to be off unreasonably :(. Like, after putting it to sleep, 4 or 10 minutes later, I can't turn it on. All the buttons were tried and nothing came up.

I put it to DFU, and iTune picked it up and asked me to restore it. In the middle of restoring, the error message 1600 came up and said the process was abandoned. I unplugged the cable and it just turned on normally.

Today, (it's quite cold, about 8 or 10 degrees), it just did the same thing like what I was saying above: off unreasonably, can't turn on anything. but this time i did not plug it into iTunes cos I was outside. What I did was waiting about 5 or 10 minutes later after it turning black, turned it on again, and it's on. After 5 mintues, it's just off again. And the whole thing just kept repeating :(.

I am worried cos it just a few day off the store :(. Im wondering should I try restoring it and jb it again?

Thanks, guys

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Nothing to worry about.

If a restore doesn't fix it just go to an Apple store and they will replace it. Or if it's only a few days old get a refund and buy another.

The beauty of Apple is that they replace faulty products right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.