Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I've been saving up for a new iPad 3G. I currently own the iPhone 3GS. Just wondering if anyone else in this situation, who has now seen the new iPhone shown on Gizmodo this morning, is thinking twice about putting money towards an iPad or this new iPhone instead.

I'm still leaning towards the iPad, just to have a different device with a much bigger screen that does a whole lot more than an iPhone (even a higher rez one) ever could. But the idea of having a better device in my pocket all the time IS appealing.

I can only buy one this year. The other will have to wait until next year.

I'm pretty happy with the 3GS. Just getting rid of the lag of the older 3G was a huge step forward for me. This new one is gravy but nothing I'm burning to have. Yet it's still awesome. Just looking at it on Gizmodo is making me drool. Not to mention that I'm dumbfounded that Giz is showing us this thing more than a month before Jobs announces it. THAT is f'n crazy!!!! Those Giz guys must be shaking with excitement just handling it.

Anyway, anyone else finding themselves thinking twice?

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Not really, once you get an iPad you'll realize it's a very different device in terms of usage space. I won't bore you with repeating things that have already been said, but suffice to say, the usage is very different.

While I'm sure I'll end up getting the new phone as well, I'm really not that excited about it. Front facing camera is a cool feature but I'm wondering just how much I'd really use it. Other than that it sounds like standard upgrades.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Why would it? They are 2 different products that serve different purposes so there really is no point in comparing them.

LameLefty

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Nope. I'll be eligible to upgrade our two 3G models at the biggest discount right as these puppies hit the market. The iPad and iPhone are two different devices with (some) overlapping roles, but they are not the same.

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
Anyway, anyone else finding themselves thinking twice?

Not here. I had an original classic then upgraded to a 3gs. I love my iphone but I mostly use it as a phone and for the contacts and calendar features. The screen is just too small for me to do anything else with it for any length of time (more a statement about my eyes than the iphone).

I'm looking forward to my 3g ipad arriving. While the 4th gen iphone looks interesting, I'm unlikely to be eligible for an upgrade after only 1 year. If the ipad works out for me as well as I hope then I might even consider moving to a less capable phone without a data plan if I could find another phone I would be able to tolerate. The iphone has spoiled me.

The big features for me on the ipad are the larger screen and longer battery life. While the new iphone may address the latter to some degree it won't help on the former.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Not in the least. It just makes me look forward to owning both the iPad and the new iPhone. I'll be trading up to the Rev B iPad in any case, while enjoying Rev A for the coming year :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have to admit I'm a little tempted to go with the new iPhone--if this leaked one is genuine which everyone seems to think it is. This iPhone has features the iPad doesn't have--like a front facing camera, a camera flash and a high resolution screen. It will likely have the same or an equivalent chip inside as well meaning the new apps will be awesome. Not to mention the iPhone fits in your pocket and you don't have to worry about hauling a bag around.

When the iPhone came out, I remember so many posters claiming they didn't need their laptop anymore and now they are saying the same about the iPad. I think there is a lot of enthusiasm for this new product and I wonder how people will feel once the hype dies down.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The more I use my iPad the less I want a new iphone. The only thing I use my phone for now is to make calls.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
No way! I love both devices and they both have their different uses. I totally love the large screen on the iPad, but I don't carry it with me everywhere I go.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
If you already have a 3GS you will be getting some upgrades in June anyway with OS 4.0.

You would probably be missing this:
-Increased battery life
-Slight processor speed increase (A4 will probably be underclocked to improve battery)
-Possible Higher Res display
-Front facing camera
-Probably 5MP camera, I think with HD video (720P)

The main thing I want is Tethering. As long as AT&T charges < $15 a month extra for it, otherwise I may consider switching to a Sprint Overdrive since I am in a 4G area.

This is all speculation though, based off of the probable prototype iPhone they found.

Of course iPad is a completely different device though. I would go for the iPad.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
If you can only get one this year, get the iPad.
The iPhone 3GS will still be a good phone and I personally would want the functionality of the iPad over the new phone.

below sea level

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
No way. Now that I have an iPad, I find I use my iPhone less and less. If I wasn't on contract, I would seriously look at downgrading the iPhone to a basic phone on any network if I could use tethering on it.

Ports

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
No, I love my 3gs and my iPad. I will not be able to upgrade 3gs until 2011 to
4g version 2;) I will upgrade to os4 when it's released

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you can only get one this year, get the iPad.
The iPhone 3GS will still be a good phone and I personally would want the functionality of the iPad over the new phone.

Agreed, no reason to upgrade if you have a 3GS. However, some of us are just finishing our 3G contract. :)

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Why would it? They are 2 different products that serve different purposes so there really is no point in comparing them.

I don't think the OP is speaking from a comparison/utility perspective - I think it's more like one who has a love of the new and shiny, which I can totally relate.

If you have a 3GS that was subsidized, you won't be eligible for a subsidized upgrade until Nov. At least that's the boat I'm in. Dunno if that helps or not.

I've had an iPad for a couple weeks and also a 3GS. The iPad is a pretty big value-add to my life, the new iPhone will just be a souped up version of what you already have. I highly suggest going for the iPad, and wait for a subsidized iPhone at the end of the year :)

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Not for me. I will use the iPad at home as a couch/bed surfer like normal while the new iPhone will be my roaming utensil of death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.