Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161835-30_inch_display_5_7.jpg

Over the weekend, one MacRumors reader noted that the shipping window for Apple's 30" Cinema Display HD has slipped from its normal 24-hour timeframe to 5-7 business days. While slight variations in shipping windows routinely occur as supply and demand of certain items ebbs and flows, Apple has been rumored to be introducing a new 27-inch display by June, and thus sensitivities have been heightened for any sign that a release might be imminent.

Despite the release of the 24" LED Cinema Display in October 2008, Apple's 30" display has been around for nearly six years. Priced at $3299 at its June 2004 launch, the display saw several price cuts over the first few years on the market before landing at its current $1799 price point just over three years ago.

Apple's rumored 27-inch LED Cinema Display is claimed to carry the same 2560x1440 resolution of its new 27" iMac, compared to the 2560x1600 resolution of the existing 30" display. The design of the new display is also expected to be nearly identical to that of the 24" display released a year and a half ago.

Article Link: Shipping Window for 30-Inch Cinema Display Slips

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Man, it's about time the ACDs get updated...poor old 24" has been all by itself for quite some time now.

seanconn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
this is getting ridiculous. If they don't release a 30" with a matte screen, how can they even call it an upgrade? I'd stick with the 6 year old ACD rather than buy a 27" LED display with that horrrible horrible gloss.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
this is getting ridiculous. If they don't release a 30" with a matte screen, how can they even call it an upgrade? I'd stick with the 6 year old ACD rather than buy a 27" LED display with that horrrible horrible gloss.

Completely agree. They should introduce a 24" matte version and a 27" matte and glossy version.

Matte versions should look like the old one as much as possible (i.e. silver). None of this ugly black stuff..

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004

Plus the 27" display has fewer pixels. 160 vertical pixels may not sound like much, but that's actually about 10% of the display missing.

But I've got mine already so I guess as long as it doesn't break I don't care.

muser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010

I'm in total agreement, the glossy screen is terrible. Apple displays in general are also not up to the level they should be in terms of color fidelity. The colors are too saturated, and the monitors lack internal LUTs for professional color calibration capability. They do have high contrast and good, wide viewing angles. But NEC has much higher quality monitors that include internal 12-bit LUTs for precise color calibration, and have a matte screen. I just bought an NEC LCD2490WUXi2, and it is much better than the Apple Cinema Display for professional graphic design use, for about the same price.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Those 30-inch displays are quite dated by now. I doubt they're really competitive any longer.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Could be even MORE bad news for Adobe!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so last week I stated that I was deferring my CS5 upgrade due to the new i7 Macbook Pro announcement. Love my new i7, BTW.

A display update would definitely mean further delays to a CS5 update.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I love mines. I'll take the 30" matte over 27" gloss any day. Plus, they're not very expensive used. Got mines for about $1k.

I pray they come out soon... The sooner they come out the sooner I can pick one up used ! :)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Their current 30" display is way, way, way outdated. Every few months there are whispers about "updates soon" and they are always wrong, too.

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
tomorrow is Apple earnings release day.... don't think they we'd see new hardware then (not that i'd complain if it showed up, mind you)

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I've been waiting for Apple to update the 30" before I got one (or two).

If the 30" is going away for a 27"..... :eek:

I'm so disappointed in the downward trend in display resolutions for the past couple of years. In 2004 I bought a dell laptop with a 15" 1920X1200. I had hoped 6 years down the road, we'd have even more - not less. :confused:

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
6 Years! It's high time for 3840 x 2400 in maybe a 32" diagonal.

C'mon Apple, time to lead the resolution game again, not step down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.