Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After all the drama behind the leaked next generation iPhone, it's interesting to note that there still appears to be at least one more next-generation iPhone still in the wild. When the story first broke over the weekend, there was another set of images that depicted a very similarly designed phone:

232238-4g.jpg

These images were posted by a Chinese user's twitter account back in February. The design of this phone and the leaked prototype iPhone are practically identical -- but not entirely so. A close look at the bottom of the phones show some clear differences:

033955-notsame.jpg

The left image reflects the original Twitter leak while the right shows the Gizmodo leak. The first image has no visible screws on the bottom of the device. The original images also don't seem to have the Apple logo on the back of the device, or even the iPhone name printed on it. We're not sure the significance of this, or who might have possession of this other device, but it seems more of these unreleased iPhones are out there in unauthorized hands.

Article Link: There's Still Another Prototype iPhone in the Wild

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
And it starts again. I wonder how much this prototype will fetch and if the buyer will be make the purchase public.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
whoa. And I thought the drama was finally over now that giz was going to return the prototype.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I like how it looks that Apple has actually tried to make a good phone this time.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
This whole thing stinks. I still think this is a controlled announcement that is fake.

But if not, think Steve will mention it in his iPhone reveal, ala "Reports of my death have been greatly exagerated"??

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
The pictures of the case shows it to be undergoing various stages of development. Not surprising, if these pictures are true Apple 'prototypes'.

mbcollins93

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
It makes sense. Most companies have more than one prototype of a product before it is released. I would say that the iPhone that will be released in a couple months will be a little different than the notorious lost iPhone. Actually now that the iPhone 4g has been leaked Apple may do a whole redesign. Being Apple thinks everything has to be a surprise.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Controlled Leak.

Apple is seeing how future and current iPhone users react to the design of the phone and the specifications of it.

This is really about the iPhone "design" and if we accept this new shift.

We already know the technical specifications of the device were going to be great after seeing the iPhone OS 4 event.

I personally like the photos that gizmodo took of the device and after looking at it enough (if that is the design) I think it's a winner. If this isn't the design, then expect a iPhone that looks like the 3G iPad.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Dear Mr. Wong

Give us back our iPhone, and any others you may have seen lying about or we'll kill you

Sincerely,
Bruce Sewell

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Just got out of a meeting with my friend who is a Mobile Carrier Distribution & Purchase Account Manger for a major manucaturer, and he has just returned after attending a private buyers conference with some of the major players within the industry.

After showing the pics to him he off the record confirmed that the leaked new design iPhonewas present at the meeting but get this!... there was also an Apple branded device with a physical!qwerty keyboard sitting alongside in a dormant state.

He also confirmed that the demo iPhone 4G had a mobile version of iWorks up and running on it, looks like it may not be a fake after all.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Either Steve Jobs is at home laughing his butt off at how stupid people are and waiting to unveil the real iphone, or he is at home loosing his mind and firing half the iphone department

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
It makes sense. Most companies have more than one prototype of a product before it is released. I would say that the iPhone that will be released in a couple months will be a little different than the notorious lost iPhone. Actually now that the iPhone 4g has been leaked Apple may do a whole redesign. Being Apple thinks everything has to be a surprise.

Presuming the 4G is announced in 60 days and then available for delivery within 30 days of that....it doesn't leave Apple a lot of time for a redesign and to get production up and running for initial launch sales....

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Controlled Leak.

Apple is seeing how future and current iPhone users react to the design of the phone and the specifications of it.

Not that Apple cares what everyone thinks...everything they make is exactly what you want. Lol :rolleyes:

EDIT: I meant "you" in general, not you specifically iDisk. :)

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
I like how it is referred to as "drama." It made me laugh because it's true. :)

I'd like to see how this all pans out in the next months and recap the series of events. This is fun!

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Just got out of a meeting with my friend who is a Mobile Carrier Distribution & Purchase Account Manger for a major manucaturer, and he has just returned after attending a private buyers conference with some of the major players within the industry.

After showing the pics to him he off the record confirmed that the leaked new design iPhonewas present at the meeting but get this!... there was also an Apple branded device with a physical!qwerty keyboard sitting alongside in a dormant state.

He also confirmed that the demo iPhone 4G had a mobile version of iWorks up and running on it, looks like it may not be a fake after all.

Pics or it didn't happen. :cool:

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
correct me if I am wrong but aren't those pictures of the boot-leg japanese version?

if you remember on Saturday (or sunday) there were pictures of someone holding the iPhone saying its a Japanese fake. It looked just like these pictures. I think the article was later said to be false, but I never understood what about it was false. a guy claimed it was a fake. so what about that is false? does that mean it is actually not-fake?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.