Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
As the iPad has yet to reach our shores, I've yet to see the iPad in action, let alone the YouTube app on the iPad. Is it possible to view TV Shows part of YouTube on the iPad? I tend to watch most TV ondemand using it.

I'm suspecting that you can't, but any confirmation would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

pac

Stoney79

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
As the iPad has yet to reach our shores, I've yet to see the iPad in action, let alone the YouTube app on the iPad. Is it possible to view TV Shows part of YouTube on the iPad? I tend to watch most TV ondemand using it.

Thanks in advance

pac

Hopefully we will in the UK but I doubt it. I emailed 4OD recently to see if there was any way I'd be able to use their service on the iPad and they told me they have no plans to make it available. I'm not sure why they can't make it available on mobile devices like BBC iPlayer is. Hopefully things will change as it would be a really useful function of the iPad.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Here in the US they don't host many TV shows, networks won't allow it. I can say that a lot of us have noticed the YouTube app videos buffer really slowly.

We do have one network, ABC, that has a player app that works nicely, so BBC may do the same???

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
kirchnrd said:
Here in the US they don't host many TV shows, networks won't allow it. I can say that a lot of us have noticed the YouTube app videos buffer really slowly.

We do have one network, ABC, that has a player app that works nicely, so BBC may do the same???

The standard resolution videos play great and some HD videos take awhile to load while other HD videos play fine.

There are many people hosting TV shows on their YouTube channels especially older ones like Ray BradBury Theatre, One Step Beyond, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone (old & new) and loads of other channels dedicated to TV Shows. I love watching them on YouTube since we don't have Hulu yet.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Thanks in advance

pac

You can't, and you won't ever be able to as YouTube's contracts with Channel 4 and Five state that their content must be sent using RTMPE, which is a Flash only protocol.

I'm not sure why they can't make it available on mobile devices like BBC iPlayer is.

The BBC took a chance sending shows in the clear without Flash, on the basis that there was no ability to save on Safari on the iPhone. People took advantage of it and started writing piracy software, and thus no other network will ever risk it. Idiots ruining things for the rest of us.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.