Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

145204-iphone_sdk_4.jpg

Apple today released via the iPhone Dev Center its second beta version of iPhone OS 4 and the associated Software Development Kit (SDK) for developers to use in creating and updating applications. The initial versions of iPhone OS 4 and the SDK were released earlier this month alongside Apple's media event to introduce the features of the next-generation operating system.

iPhone OS 4 will bring a number of new features, including various services supporting multitasking, email enhancements, and greater access for third-party application to built-iPhone functions such as calendars, photos, and camera controls. In all, Apple notes that iPhone OS 4 brings over 1,500 new APIs for developers to use in their applications.

Apple is expected to publicly release iPhone OS 4 to iPhone and iPod touch users "this summer", although early models of those devices will not be compatible with the new OS and even some newer models will not be able to take advantage of all of the features. iPhone OS 4 will come to the iPad "in the fall".

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhone OS 4 Beta 2 and SDK to Developers

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Changes so far...

The download comes as a 355MB download. From what I can see, it seems like there are a lot of fixes and some cool changes. Regarding multitasking, the time for task completion has been changed from 5 to 10 minutes; I guess Flickr apps will take advantage of this.

iTunes still doesn’t support folders synchronization. Too bad.

Various visualization fixes in Game Center.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
What about a beta of iTunes that supports home screen folders and backups? I know that if you have the SDK installed you can do a backup, but not if you're just a beta tester.

Also, MobileMe "Find My iPhone" wasn't working on the first beta. Any news on that?

jamone13

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2010
What about a beta of iTunes that supports home screen folders and backups? I know that if you have the SDK installed you can do a backup, but not if you're just a beta tester.

Also, MobileMe "Find My iPhone" wasn't working on the first beta. Any news on that?

You have to have the SDK installed to be able to install the beta OS.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Because this is a development beta, so I don't think releasing a beta of iTunes to bring folder syncing functionality is of importance to them right now. Putting apps in folders does not affect the development of apps.

There is no such thing as "just a beta tester," because this is for developers only and is supposed to only be installed on a development-only phone. (But we all know that's rarely the case.)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is going to be the most feature-packed update yet. 3.0 was kinda boring. This is the good stuff!! Sucks that my iPad has to wait, but whatever it takes to get it right. I'm hoping the iPad update has a few surprises in store (like printing, better file management, and better memory management of the stupid tabs in Safari, which is my biggest gripe with the thing).

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
Ipad is going to choke on this.

Apple's decision to include 256MB of ram is going to bit them in the ass.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

All these questions are answered in the release notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.