Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Alright just thought I would post this information for people who might not know. If you open up the system profiler and select Graphics/Displays on the left pane you then you should see both GPUs and it will tell you in the description if it is running or not!

( note you can tell by looking at which displays are running on that GPU )

BTW loving my new Macbook Pro ( specs in sig )

Cheers!

User Bitninja (who is a god) made a nice little app to be able to tell what gpu is currently in use, and it works wonderfully!

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

Also User Tegeril also created a menu style app which you can get here:

http://gpuinfomenu.dotstrosity.net/GPUInfoMenu.zip

Thankyou Bitninja

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.34.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.34.38 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,423
  • Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.34.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.34.48 PM.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,303

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Interesting. But if that's true, then you should be able to grab a screenshot showing the opposite condition -- that the displays are connected to the Intel HD. Have you been able to observe this?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Interesting. But if that's true, then you should be able to grab a screenshot showing the opposite condition -- that the displays are connected to the Intel HD. Have you been able to observe this?

I will check in a little bit. I can't right now I am exporting some stuff from aperture and I think I have to turn off duel screen for the intel graphics to work. Once I finish what I am doing though I will check for you guys and post the results.

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010

Mine says no display connected on both..

Nevermind, I didnt notice that what I was reading was referring to an external display.

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Actually it does show which is active. I unplugged it from power and refreshed System Profiler.

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0012
gMux Version: 1.9.22
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I can also confirm that it works the other way around as well! I can't believe I was one of the first people to notice this lol.

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Really strange observation...

Launching Tweetie, even when it is the only application open, makes the computer use the 330M. As soon as I quit it, it switches back to the Intel unless of course Aperture or something like that is open..

Right now with Firefox and a few tabs, Mail, Adium, Terminal, Calendar, Address Book, Word, Power Point, Excel and system profiler open (Just started launching random stuff to test), I am on the Intel. The second I launch Tweetie - 330M.

I wonder why?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Really strange observation...

Launching Tweetie, even when it is the only application open, makes the computer use the 330M. As soon as I quit it, it switches back to the Intel unless of course Aperture or something like that is open..

Right now with Firefox and a few tabs, Mail, Adium, Terminal, Calendar, Address Book, Word, Power Point, Excel and system profiler open (Just started launching random stuff to test), I am on the Intel. The second I launch Tweetie - 330M.

I wonder why?

Is tweetie an adobe air application? if so doesn't it run basically flash? and if thats true doesn't the new flash support GPU acceleration?

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Is tweetie an adobe air application? if so doesn't it run basically flash? and if thats true doesn't the new flash support GPU acceleration?

Actually it's not (I had to double check to be sure), but TweetDeck is and it doesnt happen with it. Even with the aforementioned applications running with TweetDeck open, the 330M doesnt come on. Must be an issue with Tweetie.

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Actually it's not (I had to double check to be sure), but TweetDeck is and it doesnt happen with it. Even with the aforementioned applications running with TweetDeck open, the 330M doesnt come on. Must be an issue with Tweetie.

Ouch, if this is true, its back to Twitterific for me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's not a simply way by any means because System Profiler does not auto-refresh; so to check if it changed, you need to quit the window and open a new one.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I can also confirm that it works the other way around as well! I can't believe I was one of the first people to notice this lol.

I noticed this within minutes of using my MBP. The problem is that it isn't the most convenient way of checking. An easier way (for me), to know which is running is to open my Applications stack in finder. If the animation is perfectly fluid, 330M is working.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
This is by design. If an external display is connected the 330M will always be in use.

Makes sense because if your using a external display your more than likely to plug it in and therefore saving power would not be a priority.

I noticed this within minutes of using my MBP. The problem is that it isn't the most convenient way of checking. An easier way (for me), to know which is running is to open my Applications stack in finder. If the animation is perfectly fluid, 330M is working.

Wow, Twitter activates the 330m. Wow is the Intel HD that crappy that it wont fluidly open your app stack? And by the looks of things many programs activate the 330m. Is it truly helping in SAVING and EXTENDING battery life. By individuals inputs this is what I have concluded about the Intel HD integrated graphics is not up to the job for basic graphical processing and the 330m is on more so then a balance. If my prior statement is true do you think apple will do something like a update (software) to make the switches a little more customized. Like maybe have 5 preset settings with 50% saving 50% performance as being the middle number 3 and then the extremes slowly go to the extremes such as 100% performance or 100% battery priority. Besides this they might want to re-program the switch so that is focusing on the load then the individual application being used to determine the switching process. :apple:

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Now just wait for a little menu bar app that tells you which one is on.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Makes sense because if your using a external display your more than likely to plug it in and therefore saving power would not be a priority.

Wow, Twitter activates the 330m. Wow is the Intel HD that crappy that it wont fluidly open your app stack? And by the looks of things many programs activate the 330m. Is it truly helping in SAVING and EXTENDING battery life. By individuals inputs this is what I have concluded about the Intel HD integrated graphics is not up to the job for basic graphical processing and the 330m is on more so then a balance. If my prior statement is true do you think apple will do something like a update (software) to make the switches a little more customized. Like maybe have 5 preset settings with 50% saving 50% performance as being the middle number 3 and then the extremes slowly go to the extremes such as 100% performance or 100% battery priority. Besides this they might want to re-program the switch so that is focusing on the load then the individual application being used to determine the switching process. :apple:

Wouldn't be surprised. On battery power the 9400m in my 13" MBP struggles with OS animations too.

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Now just wait for a little menu bar app that tells you which one is on.

I hope that someone comes up with a way of giving the user more control over which card is active, whether it be Apple or someone else.

I am noticing more weird instances of switching to the 330m, and in my opinion unnecessarily.

For instance, in Firefox, I can have a bunch of tabs open (Right now - Facebook, Macrumors, TUAW, Gizmodo, Engadget) but as soon as I go to my iGoogle page the 330m kicks in. As soon as I close it's tab, the Intel goes back on. My 2007 Macbook was able to handle iGoogle without a problem, is it really necessary to use a discrete GPU for Google??... NO

It's also interesting to watch the battery while doing this. Right now, at 96% it says 7:22 remaining, upon opening a tab with Google, it goes down to about 6:00 remaining whether the tab is in the foreground or not.

Note - I am only referring to iGoogle - the classic Google page does not force the use of the 330m.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I hope that someone comes up with a way of giving the user more control over which card is active, whether it be Apple or someone else.

I am noticing more weird instances of switching to the 330m, and in my opinion unnecessarily.

For instance, in Firefox, I can have a bunch of tabs open (Right now - Facebook, Macrumors, TUAW, Gizmodo, Engadget) but as soon as I go to my iGoogle page the 330m kicks in. As soon as I close it's tab, the Intel goes back on. My 2007 Macbook was able to handle iGoogle without a problem, is it really necessary to use a discrete GPU for Google??... NO

It's also interesting to watch the battery while doing this. Right now, at 96% it says 7:22 remaining, upon opening a tab with Google, it goes down to about 6:00 remaining whether the tab is in the foreground or not.

Note - I am only referring to iGoogle - the classic Google page does not force the use of the 330m.

Hmmm, that's annoying. I really hope there's some way to force the use of just Intel HD graphics when on battery power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.