Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
gat89
macrumors newbie

Music video playlist on iPad

I have created a playlist with a bunch of music videos ... when I play that playlist on my iPad though, it doesn't give me the option to advance to the next song...

I think the issue is that when I play it on my iPad it goes straight to the video player which doesn't seem to allow for a playlist... any ideas guys? Thanks!
gat89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Jinkst
macrumors regular

Yeah ive looked to do the same but couldn't find an option for it. Same with TV shows. Was moreso looking to do it with music vids though so could have it as a digital photo frame type thing but with music videos rather than photos.

"Men lie, women lie; Numbers don't" - Jay-Z
Jinkst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
gat89
macrumors newbie

it's really annoying! I've been trying to figure this out for the last 3 hours ... i was also going to do the same, use it to just play music videos on the side ... arg, I might return it now.. maybe there is an app that can help us?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
GamecockMac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat89 View Post
it's really annoying! I've been trying to figure this out for the last 3 hours ... i was also going to do the same, use it to just play music videos on the side ... arg, I might return it now.. maybe there is an app that can help us?
Seriously?? This is the one feature that is make-or-break for whether you keep the iPad or not?

Sounds like maybe you should never have bought one in the first place.
GamecockMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:21 PM   #5
gat89
macrumors newbie

yah I really need this feature!! it's so stupid, it works fine on my iphone and itunes!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:17 AM   #6
gat89
macrumors newbie

i think I finally figured it out... so apparently when you play a music video in the iPod app, it actually plays it using the music video app

I was able to create a playlist of videos, open up the ipod app, hit Shuffle on the playlist, and have it shuffle through all the videos. The problem is the iPod app is unable to play video so all I see is a screenshot of the video

unfortunately there is no app on the iPad that can fix this problem. I'm screwed!!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
i think I finally figured it out... so apparently when you play a music video in the iPod app, it actually plays it using the music video app

I was able to create a playlist of videos, open up the ipod app, hit Shuffle on the playlist, and have it shuffle through all the videos. The problem is the iPod app is unable to play video so all I see is a screenshot of the video

unfortunately there is no app on the iPad that can fix this problem. I'm screwed!!
i'm sure it will get fixed in an os update. I would not consider this a make it/break it situation
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
MiniDriver
macrumors newbie

Tech Support No Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by citi View Post
i'm sure it will get fixed in an os update. I would not consider this a make it/break it situation
I have called tech support about this twice. They weren't even aware that you couldn't play music videos continuously. When I got a senior advisor, he had never even tried and had to call me back the next day after he could find someone to loan him an Ipad. Then, it didn't have music videos on it. Very frustrating. I hope they fix this problem soon.
MiniDriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 11:59 AM   #9
3xr3con
macrumors newbie

This has been a 3-year problem

I remember when I got an iPod Touch a few years ago. I tried playing music videos continuously or by shuffle, and alas, I could not (unlike my iPod Classic which does it just fine). I took it back. Fast forward to last week. I tried doing the same with my iPad 64g 3G and imagine my surprise when I discovered it only plays one video at a time. This is not a deal-breaker in any way, but it certainly is a major annoyance. What is the point of having music videos if you cant play them continuously, on shuffle, or build playlists - you know, kind of like music? Apple really needs to address this issue in the next OS update. Are you listening Apple? Hello?
3xr3con is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 04:14 AM   #10
Racer96
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues. Just bumping this up to hopefully get more attention to the problem.

I have a large collection of music videos, and having the ipod function force over to the new videos function is just really bad implementation.

I wouldn't mind if you opened the videos function to view videos, but when I'm doing it in the ipod function, please don't force me over into the video function. It's bad that you can't shuffle/use a play list for videos, but it's even worse that all the music videos then get placed in alphabetical (by song title) order in the video function!

Anyone know the best way to notify apple of this? I imagine there isn't a huge outcry from people, as music videos aren't a big market, but I'd like to at least make my voice heard.

Mike
Racer96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:57 AM   #11
m5mike
macrumors newbie

Come on Apple this is the same problem we complained about with the original iPhone.

I can't believe you forgot to include this software feature that you already added to the iPhone/iTouch!

We need a software update quick!

Last edited by m5mike; Jun 7, 2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: sp
m5mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:42 AM   #12
The Void
macrumors regular

I'm still annoyed that there are no video playlists on the iPod Touch. And now none for the iPad either. Why the hell not? Come on Apple!
The Void is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:50 PM   #13
CentralNexus
macrumors newbie

Needed I agree

On the iPod I frequently watch large blocks of video podcasts. These can be short, but together can add up to hours. it is a pain NOT to be able to call up an unplanned video podcast list and let it run, but be forced to activate each individually...now that I have a 64gb iPad. A giant step backward in functionality
CentralNexus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:31 AM   #14
davidipad900
macrumors newbie

non stop video playback for ipad

Please engineeres of apple do something, that makes the ipad a non stop video playback device. It is annoying that the ipad stops each time a music video finish. Please do something to solve the problem.

thanks
davidipad900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 01:11 AM   #15
ChrisGonzales90
Banned

Quote:
yah I really need this feature!! it's so stupid, it works fine on my iphone and itunes!

then return it.

You don't really need an ipad anyway.
ChrisGonzales90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:14 AM   #16
Shinkaze
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMac View Post
Seriously?? This is the one feature that is make-or-break for whether you keep the iPad or not?

Sounds like maybe you should never have bought one in the first place.
GameCock,
Your reply was so unbelievably rude and unhelpful that I had to register just to say that it's statements like yours that are a barrier to help and learning. I hope it was just an honest "typing without thinking" act on your part.

To the original poster,
I too bought an iPad to be a cheap portable wireless TV and it simply terrible at that. Unlike you Gamecock, I buy devices to serve as specific tools, and just wanted a little screen in my workshop for playing videos and infrequently working on the web. When I want to program, I have an office with plenty of Apple Horsepower for the job.

I had even thought I could buy three or four iPads for my guests to use while we were having our meetings, and Showing Clients our Programing designs. (probably still will).

Sadly, the first one I bought was for just to Video play listing. Very disappointing that such an obvious feature is missing.

Apple seriously missed a usability mark on a core feature there. But then what should we expect from company that cares more about marketing strategy than usability these days?

I have 3 iPhones, ~10 iPods of various generations and buy a dozen or so other Apple Products (Lap Tops, displays, render stations, etc) a year for my business, so I *AM* an Apple Fan Boy. That said, Apple HORRIBLY missed the mark on iPad video.

Hopefully, someone will see this thread and make an iPad Application that looks as good as the iTunes application, but will actually playlist video properly. Maybe Gamecock can make an app for that?

Cheers,
Be Kind to one another guys, we all buy our toys for different reasons.
Shinkaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:00 PM   #17
vinhkhoa
macrumors newbie

Wink You can play videos continuously by setting them to TV Show

Hi, my first post here, so easy on me, ok? ;-)

I found a way to play videos continuously on the iPad. That is by setting the movie media kind to TV Show. The movie app treats TV Show like Playlist on the iPod app. So it will play all the clips inside the show continuously. I posted the full steps descriptions on my blog. Check it out:

http://blog.vinhkhoa.com/article/how...uously-on-ipad

Hope this works for you as it did for me.

Khoa
vinhkhoa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:29 PM   #18
liavman
macrumors 6502

Can someone check if 4.2 makes this task of continuous video playback any better?
liavman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:10 PM   #19
pesawyer
macrumors member

4.2 does not fix the issue with video playlists. yes it is an issue, a major one that should get fixed.
pesawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:55 AM   #20
Blueline29
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

This actually has me considering returning my iPad as well. I use music video playlists constantly & was running out of space on my 32 GB iPod Touch (and iPhone 4), so I figured, "Well, video playlists work so well on those devices and I could use more space, so maybe I'll make the jump to a 64GB iPad," only to discover that this very basic functionality is missing. Seriously considering returning it for a 64GB iPod Touch now. Yes, there are workarounds, but should we seriously NEED to have a workaround for something as simple as this? Geez.
Blueline29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:26 AM   #21
7willows
macrumors newbie

I know this thread is old but has anyone figured out an answer yet? I have over 400 music videos and really want this feature. I don't have this problem on my iPod 4.1 OS just on my new iPad with 4.2
7willows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:20 AM   #22
softboysxp
macrumors newbie

I know this is old, but my new app called "Video Playlist" was developed just to address this issue, hope it could help.
softboysxp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:42 AM   #23
Apathy Rules
macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say, I just bought your app in the app store and it is great! Thanks for addressing this issue!
Apathy Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:06 PM   #24
X2thaP
macrumors member

if only people would read post #17 by vinhkhoa... then you would have a FREE and BUILT-IN way of doing it...
ah well... I guess reading is just too difficult for some people...

Last edited by X2thaP; Jan 25, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
X2thaP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:33 PM   #25
EazyWeazy3
macrumors 6502

Will have to try video playlist app and see if that helps.
EazyWeazy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad