Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman4815

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hello. I am using iMovie for the first time and I am trying to make a project on imovie that uses both pictures and clips from various films. I would like to play a song in this project during only the part of the project where there are pictures. I need to have the song stop when there is a film clip and continue right where it was when it stopped when the clip is over and instead more pictures are displayed. Assumedly I need to split the song audio to do this, but I have viewed many tutorials and posted on Apple Forums and unfortunately I could not figure out how. Also I am using iMovie '08.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know if you can split the song using iMovie. You can certainly do that with Garageband or Audacity. However, if you have spare audio tracks available in iMovie, you could use 2 tracks. Have the song you want in the first track, then fade it out where you want it to split. Then add the same song to the second track and have it fade in where you want it to.

usher

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
i v used the third party software, as for iMovie not that much practicable for me.:apple:

oysteins

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Extra question

I don't know if you can split the song using iMovie. You can certainly do that with Garageband or Audacity. However, if you have spare audio tracks available in iMovie, you could use 2 tracks. Have the song you want in the first track, then fade it out where you want it to split. Then add the same song to the second track and have it fade in where you want it to.

I have tried but not found how I can just clip out one bit of music from an iTunes song - eg in a Keynote presentation?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I have tried but not found how I can just clip out one bit of music from an iTunes song - eg in a Keynote presentation?

If a song in iTunes is copy protected (with DRM), you'll need to burn it to CD and then rip it before you can edit it. If you've got an unprotected track, there are many ways to edit it. Here are a few ways:

1. Adjust track start and stop times in iTunes. If you do a Get Info on the track in iTunes, one of the tabs has a Start and Stop time listed (I'm not at home, so can't say which tab). These default to 0:00:00.000 and the end of the song, but you can adjust these to whatever you want. This will simply clip the beginning and or end of the song. You can then select the song and convert it to AIFF, mp3, AAC (or whatever) to get a shortened track. Don't forget to reset the start and stop times on the original, or it will always play as the shorter version. The biggest problem with this method is that it doesn’t allow for fade ins or fade outs, so the edits will be abrupt.

2. Use Audacity. Audacity is a freeware multi-track recording application. If you open the track in Audacity, you can easily select any section of the song and delete it. You can also apply effects (such as Fade In or Fade Out) by selecting the portion of the song you want to fade in or out, then select the effect from the Effects menu. When you’re done, export the track to AIFF, mp3 or whatever.

3. Use Garageband. Open a Garageband file, the drag the track into GB. If you double-click on the imported track (the actual waveform portion), an edit window will open up at the bottom of the window. You can then double-click wherever you want to split the track. After the track is split, you can click on individual sections in the track section above, then delete the sections you don’t need. Make sure you drag the final clip to the beginning (or there will be a lot of silence at the start of the track). To complete the edit, adjust the volume at the beginning and ending to provide fade ins/outs as required. Then save to disc (under Share menu, I believe).

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
It's been a while, and not sure it's the same on 08, but I believe if you'll select the music track. Highlight the part you want to keep (don't forget to leave room at the beginning and end for ducking), then use Command+T to 'trim' the track down....now I may have it backwards, you may have to highlight the parts you don't want and use that shortcut, but not sure.

If that doesn't work, then try just placing the play-point at the part of the track you want to clip at, and use the Command+T again. See if that splits it. If so, then you should be able to select the part you don't want by clicking it once, and hit 'delete'.

I'll try this over the weekend, in case you don't get a better answer.

Best.

ienniboo

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Solution!

Simply double-click the clip you want to delete the music from, go to Audio, and where it says "Ducking", drag to 0 % if you don't want any sound at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.