Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1
macgrl
macrumors 65816

Correct cable to connect a router to a switch?

To connect a pc to a router I need a cross over cable. What do I need to connect a router to a switch - cross over or straight through? I will be using cat5e cable

Many thanks
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Unless you are connecting a Computer to the Internet port or WAN on a Router you use a Straight-Through Cable. If you are connecting to a Hub, either a Straight-Through Cable to the port that supports Uplink, or a cross-over cable to any port.

TEG
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
macgrl
macrumors 65816

I am wanting to use a switch as my router doesn't have enough ethernet ports for my network so I need to have more ports so a cross over cable from router to switch should be ok? right?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:41 PM   #4
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgrl View Post
I am wanting to use a switch as my router doesn't have enough ethernet ports for my network so I need to have more ports so a cross over cable from router to switch should be ok? right?
Yes a crossover cable will work for you. It may very well not be necessary, as the ports on many modern switches autosense and adapt to the correct transmit/receive orientation. If they do autosense, you will still be OK.
HenryAZ is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAZ View Post
Yes a crossover cable will work for you. It may very well not be necessary, as the ports on many modern switches autosense and adapt to the correct transmit/receive orientation. If they do autosense, you will still be OK.
Haven't seen or used a crossover in almost a decade, and the odds you have a device that requires one is on the order of a billion to one.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Hubs are rare now too. Pretty much anything mainstream you buy with multiple ethernet ports is a switch now.

Hubs = dumb, low capacity. Switch = more intelligent ethernet transmittion. Used to be a big difference in price, but switches are very cheap. If you're getting something *really* cheap, check it's a switch, not a hub.

Ditto, pretty much anything mainstream that deals with ethernet has auto-sensing ports on it, meaning you don't need to worry about cross-over vs straight-through. Again, auto-sense should be on the list of features.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking