Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Take a close look at these pics, it appears to be rubber holding the seams together to act as a schock absorber, note the through hole for the rubber to attach through:

349fg40.png

nohtuc.png

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Wouldn't the glass break easier, seeing as the glass is solid?

The aluminum sticks out past the glass, entailing that there might be some internal shock absorption between the bezel and the screen itself.

Who knows, though.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Josh Topolsky from engadget just said he thinks the "seams" are for the antenna possibly, from their podcast live.

Dead Panda

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
The seams don't make the iPhone look bad. It looks kinda cool with the seams on it. Makes it look kinda like it's from the future! Oh wait, IT IS FROM THE FUTURE!

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I don't think they're technological advancements. They simply couldn't extrude the aluminum inexpensively as one-piece so these act as seals from the elements outside iPhone.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't think they're technological advancements. They simply couldn't extrude the aluminum inexpensively as one-piece so these act as seals from the elements outside iPhone.

Apple doesn't extrude their aluminum. They have the ability to cut aluminum into pretty much any shape they want, as evidenced by the unibody MacBooks. The pictures I have seen appear to show that the bezel was made using the same techniques.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.