Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Hi there,

about 3 or 4 days ago while surfing on YouTube I suddenly noticed that I can no longer press anything on the player anymore, no matter where on the flash application I press, it always just pauses the video. Even when I go over the volume control or the play button, they don't highlight in red anymore.

This is very annoying since I can't control the volume, fast forward, rewind, set higher resolution, click the google ads away... nothing works :( It just pauses the video when I click.

I emptied the cash of Chrome and restarted my Mac but nothing works.

I tried Safari and YouTube still works properly there.

I am using the latest version of Chrome (Beta 5.0.342.9).

Does anyone have a similar problem?

JJaX

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
Hi there,

about 3 or 4 days ago while surfing on YouTube I suddenly noticed that I can no longer press anything on the player anymore, no matter where on the flash application I press, it always just pauses the video. Even when I go over the volume control or the play button, they don't highlight in red anymore.

This is very annoying since I can't control the volume, fast forward, rewind, set higher resolution, click the google ads away... nothing works :( It just pauses the video when I click.

I emptied the cash of Chrome and restarted my Mac but nothing works.

I tried Safari and YouTube still works properly there.

I am using the latest version of Chrome (Beta 5.0.342.9).

Does anyone have a similar problem?

I had the EXACT same issue.

This is how to resolve it

Make sure Chrome is closed

Navigate to Your Home Folder > Library > Application Support > Google

Delete or rename the "Chrome" folder, this will basically default the application so you will loose your bookmarks within Chrome. But hopefully you have been using Bookmark sync feature.

Launch Chrome and you should be ok

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Cheers man, it worked although it's not the best solution to simply reinstall chrome.

I figured out it also works when you simply delete the preferences file in our Home/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default

Unfortunately then all your extensions are f*cked :(

But at least YoutTube is working again, thanks again :)

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Just a quick update. Problem solved

It happened to me 3 more times so far and this is VERY annoying when you can't interact with the Flash Player on YouTube. Anyways, I found a a solution without the need to reinstall Chrome nor delete the preference settings.

The issue lies with the zoom (not magnifying, but chromes zoom - pinch gesture on MacBooks)! If you zoom (pinch) the website of youtube.com, then you won't be able to interact with the player anymore.
The easiest way is so zoom out again to the default size. Keep zooming until you notice the buttons are responding again.

If you can't manage to zoom to the default size, here's how to fix it:

Open up the preferences file in your Home/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default folder with TextEdit.app

Now scroll all the way down in the file and look for something like this:

Code:
   "profile": {
      "exited_cleanly": true,
      "per_host_zoom_levels": {
         "galerie.designnation.de": 1,
         "prodgame02.lordofultima.com": -1,
         "youtube.com": 1
      }

Your section will look a bit different since you visited different website.
Delete the whole line where it says "Youtube.com": 1. Hit save and try again.
Now your YouTubes Flash Player will work properly again.

opticbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
USA
Delete Pref File worked in one acct not other

I was having this same problem.

looked around and found this thread.

I tested it in my guest account and it fixed it.

then i went back to my regular account deleted pref file and it had no effect. other than being anoying now that i have to reset my prefs

I think the responsible file is located in the root or system libs, I'll be hunting a little.

dtwalton

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Another solution

I had this same problem--couldn't use controls on youtube videos. I found that the issues extended to all Flash sites.

After trying some of the approaches on this site, I realized that the issue was an incompatibility with one of my Chrome extensions, ChromeTouch. After disabling it, everything works fine. Removing the pref file effectively disables extensions. That is why some observed a recurrence after awhile when they re-enabled the offending extension.

I recommended disabling all of your extensions and re-enabling them one at a time until you find the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.