Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Mirrored Hard Drive Setup?

I currently am using a mac mini as a media center for my TV, and have an external 500GB hard drive hooked up to it. I've almost reached 500 gb's of movies and tv shows on the hard drive and am looking to upgrade to at least a 1 TB hard drive or maybe even 2 TB.

I want everything to be backed up, so if one of these hard drives fails, I don't lose all my movies and shows. I like the idea of mirrored drives where you basically have two hard drives that both are storing the identical data, so if one fails, its fully backed up on the other. Anyone have any advice on mirrored drives, such as a good way to set them up? Or any specific ones that work well?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:44 AM   #2
shaunb83
macrumors member

You could try using a Drobo, or a NAS with built in RAID that you can configure as Raid 1. Or you could have 2 hard drives daisychained together using firewire, and have program like Chronosync set up to mirror the contents of one drive onto the other drive....

The first 2 are more expensive, but probably more flexible (esp. the Drobo), and last one is the cheapest way I can personally think of doing it (I'm sure others will have ideas!)
shaunb83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Kcissem D
macrumors member

what the guy above me said but if you want to go just the external route and not worry about NAS's or such you can get external drives that can be configured in a Raid 0 or Raid 1 config such as some of the WD My book series. I have the WD My book Studio edition myself which is 4 TB in Raid 0, 2 TB in Raid 1(mirrored)
Kcissem D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
tommylotto
macrumors regular

Here you go. Set up is automatic.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=466
I have two and they work fine.
tommylotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater