Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzB4etR4a8

Observations (from a longtime pre-orderer):

- It's definitely thicker than the renders. Obviously this had to get sorted during the design phase, making me think the renders on the Quirky site were early ones.

- I think all assumed that the folding cover would also *double as* the typing stand, hence the need for a hefty hinge - it would allow it to stand up in landscape more (like an easel), but would also serve to put the iPad into a lower-profile typing position. This went out the window - instead there's a now-standard flip-down panel to put it into "typing mode." Huge bummer for me.

Based on these two things, definitely considering canceling and going with one of the Marware folders - which pretty much have the same features as the Cloak now, and are less bulky. Perhaps even the Macally one if they release a black version.

Boooo.

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzB4etR4a8

Observations (from a longtime pre-orderer):

- It's definitely thicker than the renders. Obviously this had to get sorted during the design phase, making me think the renders on the Quirky site were early ones.

- I think all assumed that the folding cover would also *double as* the typing stand, hence the need for a hefty hinge - it would allow it to stand up in landscape more (like an easel), but would also serve to put the iPad into a lower-profile typing position. This went out the window - instead there's a now-standard flip-down panel to put it into "typing mode." Huge bummer for me.

Based on these two things, definitely considering canceling and going with one of the Marware folders - which pretty much have the same features as the Cloak now, and are less bulky. Perhaps even the Macally one if they release a black version.

Boooo.

I think the fact that they gave it a little flap for typing is much better. i was actually worried that for the typing angle you'd have about 6 inches of random flap infront of you, which would not be good for small spaces. (airplane tables, sharing a table with someone else, cafe table, desk at school, etc)

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
The video made me love it!

It's an awesome case, and what Apple should've had a team working on! I'll be pre-ordering one. A lot sturdier looking, and durable.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I'm convinced.

I'm no longer holding out for the Quirky Cloak. Not at all what I was expecting. Too thick. Looks like a Fisher Price toy with all the thick plastic.

h3nG

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
They blew it.

I was holding out on it. But man that thing is thick...too many freaking detachable pieces.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Honestly, even ignoring my primary two issues that I mentioned in the OP, the single hinge went out the window apparently in lieu of a dual-stage design.

The video shows that the button to adjust various viewing angles, is gone.

What's the point of the thickness, if it doesn't deliver more than the Incase book case, the Macally Bookstand, or even Apple's case does? As depicted in the video, the only thing it brings is tougher material than the afore mentioned cases, at the expense of bulk - and that dual-stage hinge sure won't stand up to as much abuse as would a decently manufactured piece of cloth or leather.

Plus, the prototype in the video looks flimsy as all get-out - it even breaks partway through around 1:40, with zero effort. While I wouldn't expect a prototype machined on a small-scale industrial printer to stand up to extended wear, I *would* expect it to at least stay in one piece all of two minutes. This *is the point* of a prototype - to see *if it works.*

Ugh.

EDIT: Having been watching the video again while typing that, I noticed the gentleman presenting stated "we've really tapered the side to [keep] the case as thin as possible." I'm sorry, but this case could be made much thinner if working with the right designers and manufacturers, and the hinge is nowhere near unique enough to warrant that material thickness - hell, binders I used *16 years ago* had the same dual-hinge and boy, did they stand up to serious abuse, and the material was still thinner than what's used in the prototype.

Alright, I'm done, just a bit miffed that what was shaping up to be a pretty cool case turns out to be pretty lackluster, especially when you compare it to the competition. The only thing it does different, is the case material. Otherwise, it's the same damn thing as other, cheaper, thinner options. Harrumph!

EDIT THE SECOND: If you check out the original pitch video for the Cloak, you'll see *exactly* why the prototype isn't up to snuff. Check the part about 1:40, when SparkBugg does his "clack-clack-clack" example. That's *exactly* what I wanted, what the Cloak was pitched as, and what it turns out is *not.* I would have happily handled the bulk if *this is what the hinge did* - fold under the unit so that I could adjust typing angle based on my situation. Sigh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=FXZ5VNMEC6Q

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Well, the good news is this is a sign that it's closer to completion...

The bad news is just about everything else. I know some will say it was just a prototype, and I understand that. However, the prototype is supposed to be a representation of what the finish product may be or may look like, at least closer to the real thing than mock ups.

Here's my take based on the video.

Positives:

+ The functionality is pretty much all there, and the addition of the typing stand was nice to see.

Negatives:

- The case is thick. It looks thicker than the Marware case I had and that was made of leather.

- Plastic parts don't look like they are going to hold up to repeated use.

- The case looks cheap. This was/is a complaint for some with the Apple case. IMO this case is MUCH cheaper looking than the Apple case.

- Even though the typing stand was a nice addition, the implementation looks like it was thrown in at the last minute. It's practically copied from the Marware Eco-Vue, but looks even worse in combination of the Landscape stand.

I think "Wow" factor is gone from this case. The mock ups and design were a breath of fresh air, but reality appears to be catching up to this case. I'll reserve my final judgement till after the case is released and reviewed, but there is definitely no chance of me ordering before release now.

supermanx

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
I had the sound off while watching the video and the only thing I noticed was how delicate he was positioning the case. You could tell he was worries the whole way through that the case would fall. I could build a house out of playing cards but I wouldn't want to count on it to protect my $500+ iPad. That was the impression I got from the video it was a just a house of cards.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi,

I think the video posted did more harm than good for their product. That is unfortunate since I know that the owner poured lots of time, money and effort into this idea.

Joe

bbtrinet

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I had the sound off while watching the video and the only thing I noticed was how delicate he was positioning the case. You could tell he was worries the whole way through that the case would fall. I could build a house out of playing cards but I wouldn't want to count on it to protect my $500+ iPad. That was the impression I got from the video it was a just a house of cards.

Sheesh!!! It's JUST A PROTOTYPE. Same thing as the iPhone 4 that was lost in the bar was JUST A PROTOTYPE.

He's going for the basic design here. He's trying to make sure that the front cover folds correctly over the iPad, that it covers the entire screen, that the buttons and ports are all available through the case.

That the case PROTECTS?? That is the LAST concern with a PROTOTYPE.

MajorTCS

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Farmington CT
I canceled my order. Their PR person sent me an email which indicated she has had enough of my "feedback". I also posted to the cloaky website. I too am disappointed, the original images looked so good. I saw the video today with the Belkin clearskin and HardCandy case. That's what I am trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.