Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I mean we all don't think of as a full scaled computer but nevertheless, its still a computer. Gimp or not Gimp. It's just Apple decided to make the environment closed as opposed to other operating systems.

In this case, you can also think of your phone as a computer too.

As far as I'm concerned...the first real PC i have bought was

166MHZ Intel Pentium MX processor (I was pissed to find out 2 weeks later PII arrived)
128MB Ram
Hard Drive was 32GB
It had Floppy and CDROM
It couldn't do Flash
It could play P-dddy music known as Puff Daddy back then
I played Quake 1 and 2 on it.
and Worms...

My Iphone and Ipad can do circles around that computer. How much did i pay for my PC back then....2200 dollars!!!!!

Dapper

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
No question, the IPad is a computer that has been engineered to fill a niche and it does that very well.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Sure, you can say iPad is a computer, just not a full function computer. But so is this ...

Laptop.jpg

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
In technical terms, of course it's a computer.

So is your car (at least part of it), so's your microwave (at least part of it).

The iPad is not a computer in the traditional sense because it's designed to do specific things, just as your microwave does specific things. You aren't going to install Photoshop on your microwave. The iPad is less limited than that, but it's clearly limited in ways that are tied to the way it's conceived.

The Apple TV is similar - clinically a computer, but in practice, an appliance.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
In technical terms, of course it's a computer.

So is your car (at least part of it), so's your microwave (at least part of it).

The iPad is not a computer in the traditional sense because it's designed to do specific things, just as your microwave does specific things. You aren't going to install Photoshop on your microwave. The iPad is less limited than that, but it's clearly limited in ways that are tied to the way it's conceived.

People who say this must not have seen what can be done with jailbroken iPhones -- you can do almost anything you'd do with a desktop/laptop. Much of the limitation with the iDevices is not on the hardware level, but in the way Apple configured the OS. Plus, the microwave does one thing, iPad does a thousand things (at least). How can you talk as if they are on the same level????

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
People who say this must not have seen what can be done with jailbroken iPhones -- you can do almost anything you'd do with a desktop/laptop.

If all you do is listen to music, browse the internet, and look at facebook, then yes- you can do everything you need to do on a jailbroken iPhone.

Much of the limitation with the iDevices is not on the hardware level, but in the way Apple configured the OS.

I find a 4-inch screen pretty limiting, it's probably just me though. Nobody would ever need a screen larger than 4 inches.

Plus, the microwave does one thing, iPad does a thousand things (at least). How can you talk as if they are on the same level????

Because anyone can make a reductio ad absurdum argument that anything with a chip in it is a computer.

Dapper

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
People who say this must not have seen what can be done with jailbroken iPhones -- you can do almost anything you'd do with a desktop/laptop. Much of the limitation with the iDevices is not on the hardware level, but in the way Apple configured the OS. Plus, the microwave does one thing, iPad does a thousand things (at least). How can you talk as if they are on the same level????

I realize this is off topic yet I wonder how much the hardware suffers in terms of speed/battery once you unleash "full potential" from a jailbreak.

Dapper

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Because anyone can make a reductio ad absurdum argument that anything with a chip in it is a computer.

It may not be the computer that everyone wants and it may not do everything that everyone wants and it may not have the hardware that everyone wants, it is undeniably a computer.

Not sure why threads like this ever get started:rolleyes:

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Ok, is an iPod touch a computer?

The technical answer is obviously yes, but did you or anyone else ever assert that it should be called a computer, other than by way of defending your position on the iPad?

I think people want to define it one way or the other, in most cases, to support their internal "point" about iPads. In my opinion, if you go into an iPad purchase thinking of it as a computer, you will be surprised and disappointed. I also think that most people who dislike iPads want to insist they are computers so they can then start bullet-point listing features "other" computers have that the iPad lacks.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
bah! they're all just fancy electronic abacuses (abaci?) with larger than usual displays anyway

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
SquareTrade classifies the iPad as a computer. I got an extended warranty and it's classified as Apple - Laptop.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd love to do an age survey -- I wonder whether more older people tend to think of the iPad as a computer than younger people? I mean, I remember the first computers I used back in high school and college, and the iPad can run circles around them. If those dinasours from back then were computers, then I think yes, the iPad is definitely a computer.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
My first computer was an original IBM PC. I think it was like $8,000 and had two 5 1/4" floppies, 640k and no hard drive. I later had a 30mb external HD that would take like 2 mins to post before you could even turn on the computer.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I realize this is off topic yet I wonder how much the hardware suffers in terms of speed/battery once you unleash "full potential" from a jailbreak.

I've "unleashed the full potential of the iPhone" for awhile now and have not suffered a bit in speed or battery. In fact, being able to run backgrounded apps has greatly increases my functional speed (even with the phone/OS/processor speed not having changed in any way from the jailbreak).

I have put on apps that have had some ill effects on the battery, but that has happened with both App Store apps and JB apps. And when that happens, I just remove the offending app.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
It's definitely a computer. Heck, a cable box is a computer. A tv is a computer. The iPhone or any smartphone is a computer. A car is a computer. A stereo system is a computer. Hell yes, many things are computers that we don't call computers.

I think the real point of the iPad is a consumption device. Something we like to use for observation of information materials. A Mac or PC computer is used for some observation but is also used for work or creation. I know the iPad has some apps that allow people to work, but the whole purpose of the iPad is truly for observation of content. I think about what I do with my iPad - watch TV, watch movies, view the Internet (very lightly and rarely when I don't have a Mac available), read the paper/magazines, and read email (only responding to brief email replies).

When I use my MBA, I write/type, run applications that need OS X, and mostly do creation of materials or WORK. I would say the Mac is for work and the iPad is for play, but both are computers.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
How old are you?

What people consider to be a computer almost depends on how old you are.

For many years, the fastest, most expensive computer in the world was a Cray 1. It had an 80 MHz CPU and 1 megaword (equal to 8 megabytes) of memory. No display... instead you got nice couch seats over the (0.15 megawatt) power supply.

Like an iPad, it did not fit in your pocket.

It also did not run Flash.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
6a00d09e7bc293be2b00e398d464750002-320pi

This was my family's first computer. An IBM PCjr. See those two holes below the 5.25" disk drive? Those were where you'd plug in cartridges. Yeah, honest to god cartridges, which booted the computer into BASIC. Why would you boot from the cartridge? Because it had no hard drive! The CPU ran at 4.77 MHz, it had 64 K memory on board, a 16 color display, and had a 300 bps modem on board that my mother used to do some of the first consumer online banking in the world.

My god did that thing kick ass. And if that's a computer, the iPad sure as hell is too.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

This was my family's first computer. An IBM PCjr. See those two holes below the 5.25" disk drive? Those were where you'd plug in cartridges. Yeah, honest to god cartridges, which booted the computer into BASIC. Why would you boot from the cartridge? Because it had no hard drive! The CPU ran at 4.77 MHz, it had 64 K memory on board, a 16 color display, and had a 300 bps modem on board that my mother used to do some of the first consumer online banking in the world.

My god did that thing kick ass. And if that's a computer, the iPad sure as hell is too.

Nice analogy!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

Its hilarious how they proudly display those 16 colors.

Of course the iPad is not a computer... it doesn't come stock with a calculator. What are you, nuts?

In reality, duh, of course it technically is a computer. It computes. It may not do as much as what we would label as a computer in contemporary time but it still is.

Nevertheless, it is still a limited computer.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
In 1998 the world would probably end cause this would be such a sweet computer. But today, its a computer, but i wouldnt call it a computer in the tradition sense of what a computer is. Its the worlds best media player pretty much, real newspapers suck compared to the ipad. Portable dvd players are a thing of the past, image how awesome it would be if you could get a dvd drive for the ipad. So a computer? no, but just a step under.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.