Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/23/dear-aunt-tuaw-can-i-use-a-standard-keyboard-or-usb-headset-wit/

Dear Aunt TUAW,

I love my new iPad and I plan to use it for some heavy duty writing. But I'd rather not fork out all the money that Apple is asking for a Bluetooth external keyboard [or a keyboard dock]. Do you know of any workaround? Is there a way, maybe, to use a standard USB keyboard with the iPad? Thanks for letting me know.

Love & Kissies,
Your Nephew [Name Withheld]

My darling nephew,

Although you can pick up an inexpensive second-hand Bluetooth keyboard on eBay (I recently spent about $40 on my new-to-me Think Outside Stowaway unit), there is a glimmer of hope on the USB keyboard horizon.

TUAW just received a tip from reader Jonathan, who is playing with his new Camera Connection Kit. (Auntie's is still on the way, I'm afraid.) He tells us he was able to successfully connect a USB keyboard and type directly on his iPad. He also reports that the kit allows users to import photos directly from their iPhones, as was expected and specified.

It's also worth noting that Glenn Fleischman at TidBITS has just reported that a standard USB audio headset works for output and input to the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit; he was able to use the Skype app for a call via this setup, with excellent quality.

So far this is the first Auntie's heard about the keyboard and audio support via the Camera Connection Kit -- she suspects that these features may not be 'officially supported' -- but if these developments pan out you can likely carry along the USB connection cable from the kit and any folding keyboard or audio headset you already have around the house! Just be aware that there isn't a huge difference in price between USB and Bluetooth foldable these days, so if you have to buy, you might as well go straight for the Bluetooth solution.

Sending you keyboard hugs and USB snuggles,

Auntie T.

Very interesting.

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Is the camera kit available in Apple stores now?

I have a camera kit on preorder but will not ship until May 10th and that is the day I need it. I want to use the ipad for a wedding dinner. The plan was to put all the photos on the ipad and pass it around the table. However, the camera kit is not available until May. Anyone know if it can be purchased directly at an Apple store?

Thanks,

-Linda

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
^^^^ If I was you, I would give the (LAS) Local Apple Store a Try the day the IPad 3G is released. April 30th - May 7th. Keep calling and checking.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Can you sync your iPhone/iPod through it? Transferring photos is 'fine' but I really wanna know about transferring music and apps! ??

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I could see myself using this with my Headroom Total Bithead headphone amp. and B&W P5 headphones on the road. Probably use the amp. in battery mode and save the iPod battery.

Still waiting for the 3G iPad. I have the USB kit.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I would also be interested to know if you can plug a USB stick in via the USB connector as well. Would be a big bonus that was unexpected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.