Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Sep 25, 2004, 02:37 AM   #1
stoid
macrumors 68040

Xcode, BlueJ, Eclipse

Currently for my programming courses, we are developing Java code within apps like BlueJ and Eclipse since they are cross-platform solutions, and the campus is all Windows based (ick). I am currently less than satisfied with the stability of BlueJ and the interface and power of both. I'm trying to get Xcode to work, but I don't know what kind of project I should tell it to start. Obviously BlueJ and Eclipse make use of a Java Virtual Machine for code execution. I can't seem to get this to work in Xcode. I'm just using standard Java code with basic javax.swing and java.awt interface components.
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 02:43 AM   #2
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

If you're creating all the code yourself, choose the tool project as your template. This generally works for school classwork, no matter where it's C, C++, or Java.

The AWT and Swing projects are fine, if you're doing exactly what they planned but I haven't been able to use more than bits and pieces of one or the other. In fact, I create a dummy project and copy working code to help me get a prototype together more quickly and edit in jGrasp.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 02:50 AM   #3
stoid
macrumors 68040

I've copied in all of my code from the project I just finished today, recreated the classes and so forth. I'm getting a 'can not instantiate Java Virtual Machine' message and a dummy swing window though whenever I click Build & Run.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 03:11 AM   #4
MacFan26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to MacFan26
Do you get that same error when you try to run it only in XCode, or is it happening everywhere like in Eclipse? Did you just download the Java update? Hm, that could have something to do with it. I don't really think Eclipse is the best it could be, but I actually prefer it to XCode right now, at least for Java programs anyway. It tends to have really useful features that XCode just doesn't have.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 09:25 AM   #5
stoid
macrumors 68040

The code functions perfectly in BlueJ and Eclipse, but not in Xcode.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming