Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Everybody's excited about the iPad and iPhone OS 4.0, but aren't we forgetting something? Where's iLife 2010? Is Apple going to do an iLife 2011 instead (just like the jump between iLife 06 to iLife 08)? Or are they focusing too much on the iPad/iPhone that Mac apps are lagging behind?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Where should it be? Did Apple say they were going to do one? There was an 18 month gap between the last release too.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Q: Does <<insert product here>> help Apple grow market share faster than Android?

If it doesn't achieve that then apparently it is now low priority at Apple. Which is a shame, but expected. I would have thought the iLife team have spent much of their time on iPad recently. The Mac and iWork.com are have probably slipped back anyway.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
What new features are you hoping for, Pika?
As good as iLife 09 is, there's still a lot of improvement that can be done:
1. iPhoto:
Allow users to merge/split libraries with edits/tags/info intact. I know there are utilities for merging, but this should be a no-brainer, considering more and more people are owning multiple Macs. For example, I want to carry some pictures on my Macbook, but I don't want to copy the whole iPhoto library. Also let's say after travelling, I have a lot of picture in my iPhoto library on my Macbook, and I want to merge them with the iPhoto library on my iMac (including edits, tags, etc). Sure there are workarounds, but shouldn't Apple make things simpler?

2. iMovie:
-Better integration for videos from iPhoto. For now, videos from iPhoto can be a mess in iMovie after merging/splitting events instead of following the logical grouping (eg. by Events per iPhoto).
-More effects, especially the ones that were gone from iMovie HD (eg. the N-square)
-Better control on text such as custom placement, or at least allow user to adjust the text placements of the existing presets
-Custom background (something as simple as custom color background)

3. iWeb:
-Integration with blogging services like wordpress.com/blogger (come on, MS can do it with Live Writer, I'm sure Apple can do better).

I don't use Garageband nor iDVD, so I cannot comment on those.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
I would have thought the iLife team have spent much of their time on iPad recently. The Mac and iWork.com are have probably slipped back anyway.
Well, that's the thing. When the iPad was announced, I was expecting iPhoto built-in for it since it's a no-brainer, but Apple did iWork instead.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
As good as iLife 09 is, there's still a lot of improvement that can be done:
1. iPhoto:
Allow users to merge/split libraries with edits/tags/info intact. I know there are utilities for merging, but this should be a no-brainer, considering more and more people are owning multiple Macs. For example, I want to carry some pictures on my Macbook, but I don't want to copy the whole iPhoto library. Also let's say after travelling, I have a lot of picture in my iPhoto library on my Macbook, and I want to merge them with the iPhoto library on my iMac (including edits, tags, etc). Sure there are workarounds, but shouldn't Apple make things simpler?

Agreed about this. Also, it should be easier to manage camera photos that have had multiple imports. Some of us have multiple computers, and, quite often, there may be some additional pictures taken before importing on the other computer. There are still some annoying bugs also, such as forgetting picture orientation (portrait/landscape). Also, Faces is just not smart enough. There should be some way to trigger it to go back through all the photos of "Mary" or "John" and re-calibrate in such a way as to reduce the number of false positives and negatives.

Overall, iPhoto would be my pick for a program that could be improved in a consumer-friendly way.

We weren't talking about iWork, but, if we were, it would be nice if Numbers was more competitive with Excel.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Apple profits are at an all time high. iphones, ipads, macs flying off the shelves. Therefore, updating ilife (which is free software on all new macs -- the ones flying off the shelves), isn't a priority. Apple has skipped years before. They've mentioned before that they would be stretching their release cycles as the products mature.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Agreed about this. Also, it should be easier to manage camera photos that have had multiple imports. Some of us have multiple computers, and, quite often, there may be some additional pictures taken before importing on the other computer. There are still some annoying bugs also, such as forgetting picture orientation (portrait/landscape). Also, Faces is just not smart enough. There should be some way to trigger it to go back through all the photos of "Mary" or "John" and re-calibrate in such a way as to reduce the number of false positives and negatives.

Overall, iPhoto would be my pick for a program that could be improved in a consumer-friendly way.

We weren't talking about iWork, but, if we were, it would be nice if Numbers was more competitive with Excel.

It would be cool to have a "mobile-me" type of syncing so if you add some photos to one library, it would update on another computer.

webraider

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
BluRay

I would love to see BluRay Authoring and better quality rendering between iMovie and iDVD. Also more effects/transitions in iMovie.

cavin

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
There will be no iLife 2010. Sorry to bump an old thread if there's already one about this.

There will be iLife 2011, it looks like. Makes sense anyway -- covers them for a year and a half if the guy's date is correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.