Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
So when I had Leopard 10.5, I used to use Save Hollywood as my screensaver application. What that does is transform any video file that you have in a screensaver. After Snow Leopard came out, Save Hollywood no longer works... I don't know what else to do, that was a must have for me and it is starting to frustrate me.
Is there any other software that would allow me to use a video file as a screensaver that would work on Snow Leopard. Has Apple fixed this issue on 10.6.3?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I put "os x use video as screensaver" (no quotes) in Google and came up with a bunch of candidates...since I don't use any of them, I can't comment on how good or bad they are.

realaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
I put "os x use video as screensaver" (no quotes) in Google and came up with a bunch of candidates...since I don't use any of them, I can't comment on how good or bad they are.

was just searching for the same software and could not find any for Snow Leopard..

if anyone finds anything similar please post here, would really appreciate it!

stellerdesigns

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Me too!

Trying to do the same thing with Snow Leopard and no such luck. Keep looking, please anyone, if they find it let us know! THANKS!

realaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
As per my testing on 10.6.5, it works fine, when ScreenSaverEngine is set to run in 32-bit mode.

really? I knew I should have tested it myself! :)

will check and see how it goes, thanks for letting us know!

realaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
But, it crashes if left going for about four hours. And all you get is a black screen.

doesn't work for me at all..

it says "You cannot use the SaveHollywood screen saver on this computer" and "Contact the developer of this screen saver for a newer version" - see the attached screenshot

I am using OS X 10.6.6 with 64 bit kernel and SaveHollywood 1.9.1

did you have any problems like that?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-06 at 8.30.43 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-02-06 at 8.30.43 PM.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 166

realaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
OK, almost managed to run it, had to reopen System Preferences in 32 bit mode as described here:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090831003645829

and then make ScreenSaverEngine run in 32 bit mode as well as per slippyd advise here:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100209053016662

Now it works by clicking Test under screensaver preferences windows.

But - it does not work after idle time, and also does not work when I try to trigger it using Hot Corner. Something is still missing here..

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to set the Screensaverengin.app to run in 32-bit mode. It's in the Screensaverengine.framework.

realaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
You have to set the Screensaverengin.app to run in 32-bit mode. It's in the Screensaverengine.framework.

Thanks, but as I mentioned above I followed this advise:

Code:
$ cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/
$ mv ScreenSaverEngine ScreenSaverEngine-executable
$ cat > ScreenSaverEngine
#!/bin/sh
arch -i386 /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine-executable
$ chmod 755 ScreenSaverEngine

my understanding that the above should trigger ScreenSaverEngine to run in 32-bit mode

stretchphoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Miami
Deadline for Master's Thesis - HELP?

Hi. I'm having the exact same problem as REALAA. I put in the code and I still get the floating "Update the screensaver software" message.

I'm desperate here, and must complete this project ASAP. All was good until I switched Mac Minis from PPC to Intel. And I have four of them on this project.

If anyone can help, I'll be happy to pay you for your time.

Thanks so very much.

ps - The Minis are running 10.6.3

Last edited:

tails-4

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
That should make it work fine.

Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread.
But i've tried all of these solutions and it still isnt working for me.....
It seems like its working, but when the screensaver launches, it will flash up for about half a second and then quit again, going to the password screen (or back to pre-screensaver)

anyone have any idea whats going on??
thanks for any help :)

stretchphoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Miami
Can't be done on an intel

Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread.
But i've tried all of these solutions and it still isnt working for me.....
It seems like its working, but when the screensaver launches, it will flash up for about half a second and then quit again, going to the password screen (or back to pre-screensaver)

anyone have any idea whats going on??
thanks for any help :)

I needed this same functionality for my master's thesis project, and spend days and days looking for a solution.

Unfortunately, it can't be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.