Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2001
For the last 5 hours, I've been re-initializing my whole system...yes....it crashed. At first it was just some files (the installer for DiVX Doctor) I couldn't delete...it would just give me error -36. So then I thought, "Maybe I can delete in 9" It didn't even get that far...after it restarted all I got was the blinking question mark with the folder... I called up Apple, they told me to use the system disks.... I went to my reseller...they told to try techtool on it... Techtool confirmed it, it was a software issue...So that's when I went on my great path to virginize my iBook. Now I'm waiting for it to finish downloading the 10.1.5 update...

The sun shines through.... At least it wasn't a hardware problem...

New Beginnings....Oh well...

p.s. Should I have just waited for Jaguar and just re-initialize from there?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
It would make sense to wait for 10.2, the WWDC version is great and I can't wait for the finished article.

Anyone one with OSX.2 Beta, try getting an alias of all the apps on your computer and opening them all at once, its fun, amazing speed ;)

Ensign

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2001
Well, my iBook is up and running again. Still virgin but at least it's running. Now I have to install all my programs.

As for waiting for 10.2 before re-initializing, I couldn't....who knows what might have happened if I kept going with Software problems....besides... I still would have to have updated everything...might as well do it now....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
did you have all your personal files backed up?

in so many cases, the information is more important than the computer

in grad school, the thesis, was often considered the culmination of six or more hard years (twelve semesters) of being a student...could you imagine losing something like that if you had a system failure?

i mean, even if your thesis was 100 pages long, it would fit on a floppy and if there were a lot of images on it, it would certainly fit on a 100 MB zip disk

that being said, i hope you did not lose any vital personal information...in the days before computers, one could say the dog ate my homework...not plausible

but now, you can walk into junior high, high school, or college and tell the teacher that, "my computer ate my homework" and most likely, lenience will be brought upon you:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jefhatfield
did you have all your personal files backed up?

in so many cases, the information is more important than the computer

in grad school, the thesis, was often considered the culmination of six or more hard years (twelve semesters) of being a student...could you imagine losing something like that if you had a system failure?

i mean, even if your thesis was 100 pages long, it would fit on a floppy and if there were a lot of images on it, it would certainly fit on a 100 MB zip disk

that being said, i hope you did not lose any vital personal information...in the days before computers, one could say the dog ate my homework...not plausible

but now, you can walk into junior high, high school, or college and tell the teacher that, "my computer ate my homework" and most likely, lenience will be brought upon you:p

:D I've been using a FireWire drive at community college because the Zip drives in our PowerMacs have been failing or have been stolen.

I went to do a presentation on the overhead projector using the new iMac and it couldn't find the FireWire drive. I panicked. It took a little bit of unhooking and hooking and then, they found each other.

Of course, with the Zip drives, we'd had plenty of "the computer ate my homework" stories, which we saw in real time.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by bousozoku

:D I've been using a FireWire drive at community college because the Zip drives in our PowerMacs have been failing or have been stolen.

I went to do a presentation on the overhead projector using the new iMac and it couldn't find the FireWire drive. I panicked. It took a little bit of unhooking and hooking and then, they found each other.

Of course, with the Zip drives, we'd had plenty of "the computer ate my homework" stories, which we saw in real time.

it's called the click of death where the zip disk and/or drives dies and all information is lost

there was/is a class action suit against iomega

i have used the zips for over three years...one on power tower pro and one stand alone pc/mac zip 100, and so far, no lost data

floppies have actually ate more data in same time period

i think cd rewriteable and now dvd rewriteable media is the best...scratches can always be effectively buffed out with anti scratces device found in office equipment stores

i tell everybody that info is read off of aluminum sheet in the cd, but the scrathes in same direction as reading the disk can sometimes foul the reading of the data so buffing the disk with one of these mechanisms solves the problem

a bad cd unit or dvd unit is far more likely, but the data itself on that thin sheet of aluminum or gold is very safe

of course, some people keep several versions of hard copy, too of the information...not me, i trust the computer, the floppies, and the zip so all info that is important is in at least two places...hard copy unnecessarily wastes paper...i also don't take more than one magazine or take any newspapers, journals, or periodicals

guess what mag i take...macworld...sometimes it's almost all ads though:(

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2001
The only files I forgot to back up was the MacJournal ones.... I think I started using that program 2 months ago....oh well....too late now....:(

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
sounds to me more like you let you down. software problem means it could have been fixed. hardware is when you know your computer let you down. you didnt mention doing any disk maitenance. you just up and wiped your drive.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
sounds to me more like you let you down. software problem means it could have been fixed. hardware is when you know your computer let you down. you didnt mention doing any disk maitenance. you just up and wiped your drive.

It's possible that running the fsck -y could have resolved the OS X software issue. As could resetting the open firmware and even zapping the PRAM (even though you are not supposed to need to do that any longer). There are other utilities other then just TTP out there. TTP does do many things well, but there are other utilities that do some of the things better. That is the reason why I have a cd with three utilities on it (along with the ones from Apple).

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2001
I didn't want to buy the other utilities in the first place. I had most of my files backed up anyway. Besides, it's too late now. Nothing but the past.

I got this weird problem when I was updating from 10.1 to 10.1.5... I used the combined update from Apple but at the end it told me that it couldn't update it.... but when I checked the "About Mac" it told me I was running 10.1.5....
I ran the regular software update aftwerwards, and it updated all the other things like security and quicktime and some others....

Should I worry about it not updating properly or should I just wait for 10.2 since it's about to come out

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
There was a very important update that you needed to do before the 10.1.5 did you install that first?. No there's nothing to worry about, I'm guessing software update took care of all that because I don't think you can install 10.1.5 with out the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.