Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Battery Doctor Pro

Anyone else appalled to see this scamware in the top25 paid apps?

In the description it claims to improve battery charging if you have the app running while your plugged into the charger.
Thats of course a load of bs, theres no way an app could have any effect on charging.

I'm perplexed by the number of good ratings it's getting from users who claim it works. Are the developers buying their own app en masse to put up good reviews?
Also the quoted reviews in the description all come from bogus review sites.
Something fishy is going on.
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Saberon
macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with you, an app could not change the way a battery charges. I read the reviews on it and it smells really fishy to me
Saberon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:57 AM   #3
John T
macrumors 68020

Why not try it for yourself? Then you'd be able to give your opinion with some authority.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Why not try it for yourself? Then you'd be able to give your opinion with some authority.
Because there is no way it could possibly do anything.

I have found a few honest reviews among the many suspicious 5 star reviews, some snippets:

Quote:
This app does not work as described....10 minute count down timer resets everytime the app is closed....the timers are off.....and I've done 4 total battery charge cycles and still shows that I've never done one... Charging money for a defective product should be a crime.... Save your .99 people
Quote:
This is just another battery monitor, like all the others. The part about the "automatic" deap cycle is bogus. Every time you turn it on while connected to your computer, it gives you a message about needing another 10 minutes to be fully and properly charged. That's total BS. It's not doing anthing special. It's not analysing your. Battery. You can wait until the little count down timer reaches a couple of seconds left, and then exit the program. Start the program again, and the whole 10 minute count down timer will begin all over again. Contrary to what they are trying to lead you to believe, this program is not automxatically maintain nig you battery. It is simply estimating the battery charge level, just like the internal meter, and all the other battery meter aps.

And here are some of the suspicious reviews, mind you there are a lot of 5 star reviews, the app has an impressive (or mindboggling) 4/5 rating:

Quote:
The maintain feature on this app is awesome! The times are very accurate and it made my battery last twice as long!
Quote:
Full cycle charging is hugely important for a healthy battery and this app delivers. Worth the 99 cents
Quote:
this program is a "Must Have" for every iPhone. This is the best battery program available, I've compaired it to all other battery programs, and this one tops them all. If you ask me why I like this app, I should tell you that this app has unique feature - Maintenance, the developer build this app according to Apple official Web site information - "How to maintain your battery", the best way is having full cycle charge once per month. And this app can help you do it automaticly. WELL DONE~
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:03 PM   #5
labman
macrumors 604

I agree

this seems like a good App for Apple to take a closer look at and see if it does anything. they should make them sell it as a battery monitor and take away all there reviews. plus credit anybody that want's a refund. don't own it wouldn't own it!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Mr Lizard
macrumors member

Well speaking as I find, since installing this I'm getting at least an extra day use.
Mr Lizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:47 AM   #7
wvphysics
macrumors regular

From the description of helping it do a full cycle charge, I wonder if the app makes the phone nearlly fully discharge before charging back up, saving you the effort of trying to drain the battery yourself to fully discharge it. Even so, not worth paying for to me.
wvphysics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Re: Battery Doctor Pro

This app is complete bs. It only use is to record the number of charges. It does not magically alter the chemistry of the battery. Lots of morons believe it does. .
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
berger34
macrumors newbie

Yeah, this actually works
berger34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:06 PM   #10
travis64
macrumors 6502

you can get the free one
i like that it tells you when its really 100%
travis64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
SnackyD
macrumors newbie

I bought the app a while back. Let me tell you this: This app DOES work, but does not extend the battery life up to 2x, only about 2-3 hours. I have my wifi on 24/7 and I'm constantly watching movies (Avg. length of movies are about 1hr 30min), from 2AM to 5AM in bed.

Usually I unplug my iPhone off the charger at 2AM where it's about 100%, watch my movies, blah blah blah, until 5AM or whenever I get done with 3-5 movies a night, my battery is usually at 78% after I'm done. After doing about 2 full cycled charges with the app on, I stop at about 86% battery percentage.

This review is coming from someone who is usually very strict on apps and is not a happy camper.
SnackyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps