Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094932-rhapsody_app_1.jpg

Streaming music service Rhapsody yesterday announced that it has added downloadable playlists to its iPhone application, allowing users to cache songs for playing while not connected to wireless or cellular networks.
Here's how it works: say you've built the perfect road-trip playlist (mine includes all of Sheryl Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club, a bunch of Joe Strummer and Clash songs, plus a smattering of "Weird Al" Yankovic). Simply launch your Rhapsody app, open the playlist and click the Download icon. You'll need either a 3G or WiFi connection to do this initially, but once the songs are saved to your device, you can rappel into the deepest crevices of the Grand Canyon and still be able to play them back. In the coming months, we're adding the ability to download individual songs and albums directly from album pages; we started with playlists because that's how most of our customers listen to their music.
Rhapsody notes that while the iPhone application will run on the iPad in a non-optimized version, the service is planning to launch a dedicated iPad application later this year.

094932-rhapsody_app_2.jpg

Rhapsody offers two levels of its "all-you-can-eat" music subscription plans, a $9.99/month plan allowing access by one mobile device or a $14.99/month plan offering access for up to three mobile devices.

Article Link: Rhapsody Brings Downloadable Playlists to iPhone

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Version 2.0 will not be found in Update Apps

For whatever reason if you go to the App Store on an iPhone with an older version of Rhapsody (I had version 1.1.2 the latest prior to 2.0), it will NOT find 2.0 when you press the Update button. You must search for 'Rhapsody' manually. It will find version 2.0 and you can load it as if it were a totally new application. At that point you will have BOTH your original version and version 2.0. You can delete your older version.

Although I have had a couple of crashes, once I got through those the application has been working as advertised and adds an ability to download the songs in a playlist. Once downloaded (a bit obscure, you have to locate the down arrow icon to initiate the process), you no longer have to be online to play music.

Note I could see that you could quickly fill up your iPhone memory with songs this way. They do not show up in your list of songs since they are part of the Rhapsody application and its database. I also didn't find any tools that would allow you to discover the size or number of songs in that database.

Bottom line, this is a fantastically important step forward for both the iPhone and Rhapsody. Now users can pay a monthly fee and download 'unlimited' music to their iPhones.

Now if only Apple would get with the program and start streaming and all-you-can-eat downloads for iTunes, we would have one stop shopping and not need another application. Are you listening Apple????

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Unknown

Any word on the quality of the locally downloaded songs?

I can't tell any difference between the 256Kbps MP3 that I had in iTunes and the Rhapsody downloaded verion in my iPhone headphones.

That said, ear-buds are sucktastic in their own right, so who knows what this would sound like on a 'reference amp/speaker' setup.

All I can say is that it meets my requirements.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I use a $400 set of in-ear monitors as earbuds, so I can tell the difference in audio quality usually, haha. Guess I'll just give it a try when I get home later.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
This really will be worth it once iPhone 4.0 comes out. Hopefully it doesn't take them long time to incorporate the API.

BrownStarfish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Seems like a pretty decent upgrade so far. I haven't seen the Rhapsody disconnected screen and have no problems downloading over 3g.

Now if only you could multitask and skip the intermediate playlist rigmarole! But a big step forward nonetheless.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
$9.99 a month? Really? Pandora is free. I know Pandora doesn't allow you to download playlists, but this is just not worth it.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
$9.99 a month? Really? Pandora is free. I know Pandora doesn't allow you to download playlists, but this is just not worth it.

They're two totally different animals. Pandora is like a radio station in that you never know what you are going to get while Rhapsody is giving you access to their library of music for you to play with any way you like. Rhapsody is perfect for someone who does not have a big library of music.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
I use a $400 set of in-ear monitors as earbuds, so I can tell the difference in audio quality usually, haha. Guess I'll just give it a try when I get home later.

Well your headphones are worth more than your phone then!

As much as I like my iPhone and iTouch and iPod, I would never consider them the strongest link in the audio chain. And since I tend to listen to my portable music while traveling on planes, trains, and automobiles -- all of which are on the extreem end of noisy, source audio quality is not my limiting factor either.

Please let us know what you hear!

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
This will be cool until Spotify comes to the US. If it ever does come. Any music you could ever want for free with some ads in between. Or pay 10 bucks a month and get a higher bitrate (320 Kbps) with no ads. Premium is required for the iPhone app. But there is a premium day pass for less money if you only want to use it on your iPhone occasionally. It also has the ability to download the songs.

This rhapsody has just made me even more excited for Spotify.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For whatever reason if you go to the App Store on an iPhone with an older version of Rhapsody (I had version 1.1.2 the latest prior to 2.0), it will NOT find 2.0 when you press the Update button. You must search for 'Rhapsody' manually. It will find version 2.0 and you can load it as if it were a totally new application. At that point you will have BOTH your original version and version 2.0. You can delete your older version.

This happened with one of the NPR apps, too (I think it was Public Radio Tuner). I never fully understood the reasoning, related to why they rolled it out as a new app instead of a revision of the old app, but I think that's what they (and the Rhapsody team) did. When I commented on it on my Twitter account, someone from the PR Tuner team sent me a snarky (and uninformative) comment back.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how subscription-based music evolves, and whether it can keep a place in the market. This move certainly seems to make subscription content on the iPhone/iPod system more of a serious contender than it ever was before.

Manxman

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
This will be cool until Spotify comes to the US. If it ever does come. Any music you could ever want for free with some ads in between. Or pay 10 bucks a month and get a higher bitrate (320 Kbps) with no ads. Premium is required for the iPhone app. But there is a premium day pass for less money if you only want to use it on your iPhone occasionally. It also has the ability to download the songs.

This rhapsody has just made me even more excited for Spotify.

Yeah, it'll be great, until people stop bothering to make records at all because they only get paid 0.00017c for someone to download a song to their iphone.

The model doesn't work, for anyone but Rhapsody or Spotify, and it'll be a matter of time before swathes of the catalogue are removed, as has already happened on the latter.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
The model doesn't work, for anyone but Rhapsody or Spotify, and it'll be a matter of time before swathes of the catalogue are removed, as has already happened on the latter.

I don't know if I necessarilly agree. It is actually a better model for the back-catalog of older music, because sales of that have died off. It keeps steady royalties flowing into the artists that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.

But I do agree that keeping the current music in that format may not be the best solution.

That said, I've been a Rhapsody customer ever since the turned the service on late 2001 or early 2002. I've seen nothing but improvements over the years -- not reductions in service.

Apple has been rumored to be offering a subscription service that would allow downloads. That is one of the reasons they have so jealously guarded their DRM -- they see it as a future revenue generator for music and video and whatever else they can sell.

Manxman

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I don't know if I necessarilly agree. It is actually a better model for the back-catalog of older music, because sales of that have died off. It keeps steady royalties flowing into the artists that they wouldn't be get

It's actually even worse for back catalogue, most of which has reverted to the Artists ownership or their own licenses. iTunes etc is quite a sweet deal for them. This kills that model dead and requires millions of plays to generate even a tiny amount of income, do the maths yourself, and compare. With downloadable playlists they're completely taking the piss now.

Terrible for the artists, the worst distribution deal ever, and from a company now owned by a couple of majors. They're profiting through subscription and advertising from the world of music catalogue that they don't even own.

Great for the Major labels who own these services though, the artists, if they're lucky and are ever accounted to, pick up a few dollars a year compared to a few dollars for each album sale on iTunes.

pandora110

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010

Although I have had a couple of crashes, once I got through those the application has been working as advertised and adds an ability to download the songs in a playlist. Once downloaded (a bit obscure, you have to locate the down arrow icon to initiate the process), you no longer have to be online to play music.

Adem Stival

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
You have to have itunes installed on your pc. Then plug in the ipod, go to file and click transfer purchases from ipod. Once that is done plug in the iphone and it will sync. all checked songs.

burton71stephen

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Web Hosting ideas

Seems like a good update so far. It is the first time I've seen seen the Rhapsody disconnected screen and have no problems downloading over 3g.Looks great!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.