Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
yertle
macrumors member

Getting "recent documents" back in the dock

Recently I did something (no idea what) that made my recent documents go away from the dock.

How do I get recent documents back in the dock?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
spinnerlys

Drag you Documents/Downloads* folder onto the Dock and right click on it to sort by date.

MRoogle will give you thousands of threads about this issue.

* there is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder on Mac OS X, unless you created it and dragged it there yourself - look at post 6 (six) on how to do it via Terminal, if you want.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:
Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Last edited by spinnerlys; Oct 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: hmm, that cow over there gave me a decent look but the pig was kinda jealous so I just went with the lady, that lived in c...
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
yertle
macrumors member

Thanks!

Seems like the folder must be dragged to the right-most side of the dock to get it to "take." I guess that's where "stacks" must live! Everything is peachy now.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

If you look at the dock, there is a dividing line. Applications go to the left of this, and everything else to the right.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by yertle View Post
Seems like the folder must be dragged to the right-most side of the dock to get it to "take." I guess that's where "stacks" must live!
Yep. Now right click on one and explore all the options.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Drag you Documents/Downloads* folder onto the Dock and right click on it to sort by date.

MRoogle will give you thousands of threads about this issue.

* there is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder on Mac OS X, unless you created it and dragged it there yourself
Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'; killall Dock
This will add a recents stack to your dock, which will contain 10 recent items. Right-click and select what you want the stack to contain. Options include:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

You can do this as many times as you want and have all 5 stacks if you would like.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'; killall Dock
This will add a recents stack to your dock, which will contain 10 recent items. Right-click and select what you want the stack to contain. Options include:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

You can do this as many times as you want and have all 5 stacks if you would like.
Thanks for the heads up, but Terminal is not as widely (or wildly) used as lets say the browser or chat software, so dabbling in Terminal is quite uncommon for John and Jane*. And there is also the Recent Items section in the Menu Br under the Apple.
And my statement still stands: There is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder, a stack is something else.

* The ones, that post threads on how to get something back into the Dock or rename a file or wondering about how to add the menu to every frelling window.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:29 PM   #8
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but Terminal is not as widely (or wildly) used as lets say the browser or chat software, so dabbling in Terminal is quite uncommon for John and Jane*. And there is also the Recent Items section in the Menu Br under the Apple.
And my statement still stands: There is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder, a stack is something else.

* The ones, that post threads on how to get something back into the Dock or rename a file or wondering about how to add the menu to every frelling window.
It doesn't have to be widely used. When the command comes from a knowledge source, pasting it in is not a big deal. In fact, Terminal commands are often given here in response to question because they are the only way to get it done.

For those who do not want to use Terminal: Cocktail will add recents to the Dock. Onyx probably does as well.

A stack is a directory of items, this one is just populated by a plist rather than an actual directory. In addition the OP did not ask for a folder, they asked for their "recent documents."

Last edited by calderone; Apr 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by yertle View Post
Recently I did something (no idea what) that made my recent documents go away from the dock.
If you drag anything from the Dock and release the mouse, an image of a puff of smoke appears, and the item vanishes forever. Well, at least until you put a new one in its place, but the old one is gone for good.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
jbeezz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It doesn't have to be widely used. When the command comes from a knowledge source, pasting it in is not a big deal. In fact, Terminal commands are often given here in response to question because they are the only way to get it done.

For those who do not want to use Terminal: Cocktail will add recents to the Dock. Onyx probably does as well.

A stack is a directory of items, this one is just populated by a plist rather than an actual directory. In addition the OP did not ask for a folder, they asked for their "recent documents."

This is intelligible to anyone who does not know what a PLIST is or where to find TERMINAL.

If you could tell us where to find TERMINAL it would be helpful.

We just want to see the 10 documents in the DOCK again... is there no easy way to explain how to do this?
jbeezz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:56 PM   #11
jbeezz
macrumors newbie

Quote:

WHERE is Terminal?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:57 PM   #12
jbeezz
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I downloaded Cocktail and still have no idea how to get my document stack back.... can ANYONE help????
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:10 PM   #13
jbeezz
macrumors newbie

It worked... THANK YOU!

Quote:
Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

Once I found Terminal this WORKED YEA! Thank you SO much. It's the only useful piece of information that I found to solve this problem. I am delighted.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
jbeezz
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Cocktail did not add recents to the DOCK. It was useless for anyone but advanced users.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:33 AM   #15
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeezz View Post
WHERE is Terminal?
Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Terminal.

To find files, folders and applications on your Mac, use Spotlight to look for them. You can normally activate it via pressing Command and the Spacebar to activate the Spotlight input filed in the upper right corner of the screen, the icon representing the loupe.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X